Topic

WM Summer light – How Cold?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) WM Summer light – How Cold?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

The thing I noticed once I had down added to my Summerlite was a bit more loft, yes, but mostly that the down stayed in place better. I live in an area with typically low (<10%) relative humidity so moisture accumulation is not normally an issue. Also, I didn't need to shake the down to the top of the bag as much as I did before the overfill. And, my bag gained just about 2 oz in the overfill process.

Overshot
    BPL Member

@overshot03

Locale: North East

I'm just thinking of the pros /cons for an overstuffed Summerlight, vs an ultralight. It seems that by the time you have a Summerlight overfilled, the weight would be within the ballpark of an ultralight. Ballpark meaning within 6-8 ounces. By using a Summerlight down into the 20's I would need additional clothing as mentioned. Insulated pants, and puffy jacket. I would already have a jacket for those conditions obviously, but could use a lighter one.

I'm thinking that

1) an overfilled Summerlight with additional sleep clothes would be heavier than an ultralight in cool weather (20's)

2)an ultralight in warmer temps (40's) would mean carrying extra fill weight when it may not be needed.

I would say the majority of time, this would be a compromise between the scenarios. For th most part, it seems you can't go wrong with either choice.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

The Summerlite does not have a draft collar.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

yes, the Summerlite has no draft collar and very little down in the hood.

Not an issue for me as I wear down hooded sweater and/or other layers in mine when it's cold outside.

Hoods and draft collar are really only important for people who don't wear a lot of clothing in their bag.

This is the reason why quilts have become popular with the UL crowd, to reduce unnecessary weight.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools