Topic

Double Up Sleeping Bags for Winter Camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Double Up Sleeping Bags for Winter Camping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Moomaw
    BPL Member

@mmoomaw

I am planning my winter camping try to Dolly Sods in WV. I have several UL down sleeping bags rated in the 30-35 deg F range. I have slept into the 20's with one of these bags and down to 12 near a burning fire (in a place where that was appropriate).

What do you all think about using two 30 deg F sleeping bags, one inside the other, to create a makeshift winter bag? I think I can fit in the two bags without too much compression (of insulation or person).

Thanks.

-Mike

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

There are other threads about this

If the outer bag is big enough so it doesn't squish the inner bag it would probably work. Try it at home to see if it's comfortable. Try it when it's not super cold to see how ell it works…

Michael Moomaw
    BPL Member

@mmoomaw

Thanks Jerry. Now that you mentioned it, I have found some rich threads on the topic with all the information I need.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=50602

-Mike

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> What do you all think about using two 30 deg F sleeping bags, one inside the other,
    > to create a makeshift winter bag?
    Double bags are quite standard, but I suggest you use the outer one as a quilt, not a bag. That way the inner bag will not be compressed, and you will be warmer. Oh – do use the footbox though: it controls the rest of the outer bag.

Cheers

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Check out this thread
    Double bag

Or this one

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

The outer bag will likely see some condensation … As long a you know how to deal with it …

;)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've used my WM Megalite 30 F. bag in 15 F. weather inb Colorados' Indian Peaks range with insulated jacket and pants and found I was very comfortable. I also had thick "sleep socks" and a very warm balaclava which helped a lot.

My insulated jacket and pants were strictly "mid" layers with very light nylon shells and DuPont "Thermolite Micro" insulation, which I have found to retain its loft much better than earlier versions of Primaloft.

With this combo I also used the jacket for warmth around camp so it served two purposes, a goal of UL backpacking.

I've camped in the Dolly Sods years ago for a Ski Patrol Nordic Mountaineering course and experienced -5 F. temps overnight. It can get cold there as it is the furthest south true alpine area in the east.

P.S. See the 1st thread recommended by Tad. In it I explain why I prefer a synthetic outer bag or at least an outer down bag with DWR treated down. Double bags are heavy but they REALLY work well and that's why the military uses them.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Sometimes I use a cuben quilt inside a Nunatak quilt, which works good. The cuben acts as a vapor barrier, which means I cannot wear down clothing in it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools