Topic

Help with a quick Yosemite trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Help with a quick Yosemite trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Since Yosemite is finally open again, I'm looking to do a last minute trip next weekend.
    Starting Fri evening and returning Sun. Any suggestions for trips that will be doable this time of year?

So far I've done yosemite falls to eagle peak, and tuolomne meadows to Donohue pass.

Think Tioga will be open? Should I start from the valley?

Maybe little yosemite valley to clouds rest? (Crowds a problem?)
    Or toulumne to cathedral lakes? (Closed for winter?)

Help!!!!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I guess you know that there is typically no overnight parking allowed on the Tioga Road this late in the season. That would preclude any trip starting or ending up there. I guess you also know that there is some light snow accumulated up high, and more could happen in a hurry.

So, I suggest the safer places to go would be at lower elevation. Chilnualna Falls or Hetch Hetchy. Some areas recently burned west and north of Hetch Hetchy, but it ought to be normal toward LeConte Point. Maybe the Pohono Trail if you want to stay closer to the Valley.

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I don't mind ice, I think Ice axe and crampons are fun. It's the fluffy waist deep snow that bugs me. And yeah good point. New snow would be fluffy.

Pohono sounds interesting. Trying to find trip reports now…

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

No overnight parking allowed on Tioga Road or Glacier Point Road beyond Badger Pass after October 15.

The road to Hetch Hetchy (Evergreen Rd) and Cherry Lake Road are closed due to the Rim Fire.

Your best bet is something off of Highway 108 (which could close at any time due to snow) or out of the Valley.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

But if you enough time to get to the Onion Valley trailhead you could head into the heart of SEKI. But check the weather first.

I have done fall trips out of yosemite valley via the JMT. You could also head up toward red Peak from the valley depending on your total mileage.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"But if you enough time to get to the Onion Valley trailhead you could head into the heart of SEKI. But check the weather first."

Or, if you're really time constrained, head up into either Sabrina Basin or over Piute Pass into Humphreys Basin, due west of Bishop. It would be an hour less driving than Onion Valley and put you into some beautiful country that is highly accessible and also likely to be almost deserted this time of year. Both are also easy to bail from if the weather turns bad in a hurry, particularly Sabrina Basin.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

Clouds Rest as a weekend hike from the Valley is totally doable, in fact it is a great time to go because it will not be crowded at all this late in the season.
    Drive to Yosemite and stay at Camp 4 on Friday night as the backpackers camp is closed for the season.
    Saturday hike up to Clouds Rest, enjoy the view, then hike back down a couple of miles to Clouds Rest Pinnacles. The Pinnacles has cool rock formations, an awesome view and a great camp spot. No water though, so load up when you have the chance.
    Or continue down to the Clouds Rest / JMT junction, go north a little ways and then step off the trail and go discover / camp at Moraine Dome. Again no water but great views and the dome will be all yours.
    Watch the weather report. Be prepared for snow and cold even if the weather man says differently. Have fun!

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I love east side entries like N lake, Sabrina, etc but I'm leaving from San Jose at around noon Fri. (Darn work)
    This limits my options to places within 4-5 hours drive tops, and limits my first night camp options to 4-5 miles from the trailhead if I'm lucky.

So ALL little yosemite valley is closed for backpacking? That would blow my first trip idea of little yosemite valley night 1, summit clouds rest day 2 and camp at JMT/clouds rest junction. Wish I knew what the snow situation was up there.

Looking into Pahono trail on Bobs suggestion and seriously considering it. Idea so far:
    Day 1:
    Arrive at TunnelView trailhead 4pm ish. Hike in 4-5 miles max before dark.
    Water? Good campsites?

Day 2: Hike out to Glacier point, have lunch, and camp somewhere on the way back.
    Water? Campsites?
    Day 3: hike out.

Can't seem to find a good trip report, so please feels fee to share.

Thanks so much.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Just saw your post Katy. I'll check out your idea as well.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

Actually Little Yosemite Valley is NEVER closed, well barring a government shutdown of course.

The Happy Isles trail head is in the Valley, so easily accessible year round. The route up along Vernal and Nevada Falls has several variations, they close part of it and keep the rest open as the winter route.

If you are leaving the city by noon, drive fast, and hike hard you just might have enough time to reach the campground in LYV by nightfall on Friday. Can't guarantee that you will be the only one up there, but pretty likely. Very different from the zoo that this place is in the summer.

If you are feeling up for a long hike on Saturday, head up to Clouds Rest, then down the other side and camp at one of the Sunrise Lakes.

Sunday morning hike the short hike down the switchbacks to Tenaya Lake on the Tioga Road. Hitch a ride back to your car in Yosemite Valley. This would only work of course as long as the Tioga road is still open. In snow it would be a long hike back to the Valley from Sunrise lakes. Adjust your plans to the weather, and still be prepared and equipped for snow and cold.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Day 1:
    Arrive at TunnelView trailhead 4pm ish. Hike in 4-5 miles max before dark.
    Water? Good campsites?"

That's all wishful thinking.

First, you have to drive to the park. Then you have to get a wilderness permit, probably from the Valley permit station. Once at the Tunnel and get started, you have to go straight uphill on the Pohono Trail. There might be water anywhere, but the only semi-dependable water is at Bridalveil Creek.

"so somebody feels fee to share."

Unclear.

–B.G.–

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Check out this site. He does about 15-20 trips a year, mostly near Yosemite.

http://pantilat.wordpress.com/

David Halterman
    Spectator

@poedog

Locale: Big Sur

Last month, my GF and I scored wilderness permits (with Half Dome)the day we showed up, Sept 22. We parked at Sunrise (on Tioga) around 4pm Sunday, hit Clouds Rest and Half Dome on Monday (bivied that night on the sub-dome at the base of the cables), and hiked into the valley on Tuesday. Hitched back to Sunrise (1.5 hr) no problems. Just an idea.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Sunrise to Valley is difficult to do when there is no overnight parking allowed on the Tioga Road.

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Alrighty I spoke to a ranger today. Little yosemite valley is open.
    It's also snow free up to the top of clouds rest and expected to stay that way all weekend. I'll dress warm in case of a last minute storm, but I'll be leaving the ice axe and crampons at home. Only bringing yaktrax just in case.
    The only confirmed water source is in LYV. He warned me that between LYV and clouds rest it may be dry depending on the condition of sunrise creek.
    Anyone been up there recently?

David Halterman
    Spectator

@poedog

Locale: Big Sur

"Sunrise to Valley is difficult to do when there is no overnight parking allowed on the Tioga Road.

–B.G.–"

Well that's when I'd get creative and hitch a ride to Sunrise. Not difficult.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

Inquiring minds want to know ;)

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Sorry I've been lagging on my trip report.
    I'll post something on the post trip reports section soon.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools