Topic

Henry Coe? Water? Others near the South Bay?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Henry Coe? Water? Others near the South Bay?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

National Parks are closed and family obligations need to keep me close to the South Bay area. I'm looking at an early November trip to Henry Coe and was wondering about the water availability? Along with that are there other reasonably priced state parks to consider backpacking in if water isn't flowing from any springs at Henry Coe? I know there are no fires allowed at Coe but are there other parks that do?

Thanks,

James

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Ventanna Wilderness

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Call the Coe HQ, they can tell you if they have had any recent water reports.

Coyote Creek streamflow gauge is a good barometer for how much water is in Coe. Usually if there has been recent rainfall then the springs will be flowing. Right now the flow has been zero for a long time… not a good sign.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/dv?referred_module=sw&site_no=11169800

Ventana is a good suggestion for this time of the year. They probably have fire restrictions right now though.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

James,

Have a look at this web page with three links for springs, lakes & ponds, and creeks in Henry Coe

I was two weeks ago at Henry Coe – starting out from the Coyote Creek Entrance. Lower Grapevine Spring was gushing, Elderberry Spring was dry and Kelly Lake had lots of water — pretty much as described in the website.

While many places in Henry Coe are right now dry, you should have no problem to plan a route with enough water sources.

Have fun out there,

Manfred

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools