Topic

Carson-Iceberg Wilderness- East Fork Carson River to Clark Fork Drainage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Carson-Iceberg Wilderness- East Fork Carson River to Clark Fork Drainage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Some of the older USFS maps show a trail that goes from the PCT along the East Fork Carson River West over to the Clark Fork Drainage.

HIking on the Clark Fork side (cross country), I have never seen this trail. I have not been down the PCT North to the Carson River and wondering whether the trail is visible or not?

Has any one seen it? I am trying to plan a short loop loop from the St Mary's Pass TH, down into the Clark Fork, perhaps as far as the Clark Fork meadow, climb Stanislaus Peak, and then hike (East) back to the PCT, then south to the Sonora Pass TH.
    Thanks

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

My nat geo map shows the trail. I've not seen it in person though. Looks like a real nice loop.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

We haven't hiked St. Mary's Pass for about ten years, but I don't remember there being much of a trail once you get to the pass itself—we climbed SOnora Peak from there…

and we've hiked up Clark Fork Trail from the Iceberg, and the trail peters out along there as well…

But it's pretty hard to get lost in that area. It's all one canyon, and you can clearly see where St. Mary's Pass is…even if you may have to go XC for part of the route.

YOu can also get to the PCT from the BOulder Lake trail–quite a good and easy trail to follow

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

There is a fine trail from the pass, it follows the crest over to Stanislaus Pk. I haven't gone beyond that, but it looked like one could easily continue along the crest. BTW, there are good springs right on the crest about halfway.

It is much steeper on the east side of the crest. And loose, crappy rock, too. But the PCT is close to the crest further north. I have descended from there to Boulder Lk via the creek running north/south. That required a bit of bush whacking through the willows. The drainage to the east of the lake looks easier.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools