Topic

How does one take off a Trekking Pole Tip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How does one take off a Trekking Pole Tip?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I have a replacement tip but I can not get off the original tip. These are GG fixed length poles. Thanks for any info!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I've never done this with a GG pole, but a few minutes of immersion in boiling water followed by a firm yank with pliers would be the first thing I'd try.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I couldn't get the tips of my LT4s off with boiling water. I held the shaft in a vice with some rubber padding and slowly carved the plastic off with a sharp knife & razor blade. It works, but it takes a lot of effort.

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

I've done it on a GG fixed pole before. Have someone hold the pole for you, then take a small block of wood and put it on the top edge of the broken tip. Tap the block with a hammer towards the end of the pole. It should break the glue and come right off.

See picture.Picture

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Step 1) Secure the pole in a vice,with padding, vertically gives better leverage in step 3.

Step 2) attach a vice grip pliers to the tip on the upper 1/3.

Step 3) strike the pliers with a hammer, repeat.

Edit: the wood block idea looks easy too.

michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

With my GG poles, no amount of heating or hammer striking worked. I had to whittle and shave the plastic of the tips away on two sides then peel the tip off. I put the new tips on without glue. They've stayed put.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks for all the great ideas people! I will let you know what worked.

Trekking Poles are always a important piece of gear: RedMonk

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

I too had this problem on some Black Diamond Poles. What I ended up doing was using a knife to cut the tips off. I would make two straight cuts parallel to the poles, cutting all the way through the plastic to the aluminum. Each cut would start at the end of tip nearest the handle and going for 0.5 – 1 inch in length. Each cut would be completely opposite the other. After you make those cuts, you can easily pull the tips off. The entire process takes about 2-3 mins.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I boiled it for about 10 minutes and then it came off pretty easy with some pliers. Now I will mix up some J-B Weld and connect the new to Tip. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools