Topic

13g knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 13g knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Not worth the weight savings to switch from my SAK classic but it's advertised at 13g so I thought I'd pass this on.

Kent Christopher

@kentchristopher

Locale: Madison, WI / Berlin, Germany

I'm surprised this knife hasn't come up elsewhere on BPL yet. For a 2.5" locking blade weight only 13g/.45oz, I think it would be a great option for those who normally only take a small scissors, i.e the SwissCard replacement scissors at .2oz. The combined weight (.65oz) is less than the Swiss Army Classic (.74oz) with improved functionality.

At only $3 on Amazon right now it's kind of a no brainer for ultralight fans.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Note that the blade has a smooth grind on both sides.
    The "serrations" are a "landing zone" for closing the blade.

The CardSharp 2.2 does away with them, is about $25, and still only 13 grams.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Try the small (15 g) Deejo, reviewed HERE.

Cheers

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

The cardsharp 3 is much cheaper than the 2.2, the only difference I can tell being the single, different locking mechanism. To be honest, I prefer the look of the simpler one-less places for food gunk to end up.

Any thoughts? At that price I'm keen to take a punt on the cardsharp 3

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

just ordered a Kestrel Minimalist, Ti w/ impregnated Tungsten Carbide- I'll use it backpacking, but it will also find a home big game hunting this fall, 9.5 grams for a fixed blade knife-not shabby :)

kestrel minimalist

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^^

…. and the sheath weighs …?

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

I have read a ton of the threads on lightest knife on here over the past decade or so, as well as the many knife vs. scissors threads. It just occurred to me that I don't remember a woman ever participating. I guess sometimes a knife is more than a knife.

Anyway, sticking with my Spyderco Bug – 11 gm, no sheath necessary. Woo Hoo. Mine is the smallest!

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

"…. and the sheath weighs …?

I posted overall weight with a cut-down sheath here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=82597&skip_to_post=714213#714213

Kent Christopher

@kentchristopher

In case anyone just wants an answer to the question about the Kestral Minimalist:

"The package comes in at 10 grams without the handle wrap, and 12 grams with." (Jay in the thread linked above.)

As Jay said, those weights are with a cut-down sheath.

Personally, I'll be passing on the $110 Kestral and sticking with the $3 Cardsharp, but my uses are more oriented toward ultralight travel than roughing it in the wilderness.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Wanting to have the smallest/lightest knife is at least a change of pace.

Heather Hohnholz
    BPL Member

@hawke

Fine. I take a Baladeo, at 14.4g. I like it because it's little, fits on a keyring, but is still very sturdy and sharp and metal and locking-bladed. I have never been fond of plastic on my knives (even though I'm sure it's plenty sturdy, if I have to depend on it, I'll stick with metal, thanks). That's a cool little knife though, and I'm sure some will find it works for what they need!

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"Wanting to have the smallest/lightest knife is at least a change of pace."

True. Still waiting for the obligatory poster that explains why he NEEDS a big knife, especially because he get bored in the wilderness and need to whittle things, and because he needs it for "protection".

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My tiny Gerber "Bear Grylls" lockblade has a 2 1/2" blade (back half serrated) and weighs 0.9 oz.

I added a 4" braided Triptease lanyard to keep from losing it out of my pocket so maybe that adds 1/8 oz.

So far it's all I've needed.

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

Why I NEED a big knife? At my age, anything that will up the testosterone production is a necessity.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"Personally, I'll be passing on the $110 Kestral"

13 grams is impressive, for sure. So is $110.

I focus on grams when I'm backpacking (and a SAK Classic is plenty) but on ounces when hunting.

At 37 grams and $21 at Amazon or any Walmart, I've liked the Buck Paklite Caper. I've got the black-coated one, the uncoated might be a gram less. It's plenty for "big-game hunting" for us wimps who only go out for bear, caribou and moose.

Paklite Caper

Real Alaskan big-game hunting, which I've helped in the butchering stage, requires custom-made tools. And a D-9. So there's not really a light-weight approach there.Bowhead

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

The Minimalist that Nathan currently offers is .060 thick and weighs 9.5 grams, vs the .050 thick/7.8 gram version I have. The sheath weighs 2.2 grams cut down so that would put the current package at 11.7 grams without a handle wrap.

The Cardsharp is interesting though, I'll have to pick one up! The handle doesn't look particularly comfortable, but I like the credit card shape when folded.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

"I'm surprised this knife hasn't come up elsewhere on BPL yet."

I posted the card knife about a year ago but didn't even get a 'huf'……I think it's an awesome knofe with a very usable length blade that folds away safe.

And it didn't cost me stuff all on line!!!

Kent Christopher

@kentchristopher

Mikmik, if it makes you feel any better, his thread was originally started 9 months ago by Ian B., but it too had no replies — which is why I decided to post one, because this seems like a product that more UL folks should know about (very light, useful, very cheap).

Now if we could just keep the discussion focused on the merits of the actual knife in question instead of people posting about how awesome *their* knife is…

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington
    Kent Christopher

@kentchristopher

10 cents *and* access to a belt sander, or a lot of free time to give that thing an edge. But thank you, that is a cool idea for a DIY UL blade — and a multipurpose one no less, with the hacksaw teeth on the reverse.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Using a hacksaw blade sounds clever, but it is not. The steel right on the teeth is hard – that is for sure. But the rest of the hacksaw blade is quite soft. It has to be so it does not shatter when you start to use the hacksaw a bit roughly. In fact, more expensive hacksaw blades are 'bimetalic': two different sorts of steel welded together down the length of the blade.

So, bottom line: the 'knife' won't hold an edge for more than a few minutes, and whatever edge you get from a sanding belt is going to be pretty rough anyhow.

Sorry, but that is a very old (50+ years) and failed idea.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"a snading belt"

Roger, snading has been abolished in this country for many years.

–B.G.–

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

BG Bahaha!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools