Topic

ULA Ohm

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Ohm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 126 through 138 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

Emmett, that are great news. Any chance you could snap a photo of the NeoAir in the Ohm, and how the NeoAir is folded?

And by Torso length you mean the Small NeoAir, I guess?

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

I just got back from the Maroon Bells in Colorado on a 5 day trip using an Ohm. I used the GG sit pad with the waffle side toward my back and used the Neo air short for my sleeping pad. I placed the pad on top of my pack at night and slept really well. I started out with about 24# and was really impressed with the pack. It is the best pack I have used.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

I want to be sold on this pack, but this could be the deal-breaker for me…

ULA’s faq states that the volume can be compressed by 2/3. I’m hoping that means it can be cinched evenly along its ~entire~ height. Do the side compression cords extend below/behind the water bottle pockets?

By the end of an 8-10 day trip, I want a <2000ci pack that cinches close to my back from top to bottom (basically day-pack dimensions). I’ve yet to find a decent-sized pack that can do this well. Can any Ohm users enlighten me here?

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Jason, the compression cords stop just above the side pockets. It does compress superb, I can try to make some photos later this evening or tomorrow. I just put my gear – TT Scarp 1, TAR Prolite 4 as backpad, sleeping bag, BushBuddy, 1st Aid, etc. in there and draw the compression straps to their max, and it does compress to a tiny size. Its an excellent pack, and you won't regret it.

You can read more about my own impressions here, and I will try to get some photos up later.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Thanks, Hendrik – glad to hear it's working out for you. Your blog posts are very helpful, and some pics of the Ohm fully-compressed would be awesome.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Here some photos, I know they're a bit to big but can't be a perfect nerd all the time. Then there's the bad lightning – energy saving light bulbs aren't the best lamps to take photos at night. Anyhow, here we go:

Photobucket
    Side 1

ULA Ohm
    Front/ Top

ULA Ohm
    Side 2

In there are the above mentioned Scarp + extra crossing poles in the side pockets, sleeping bag, mattress, kitchen, extra clothes, first aid and toiletries. It compresses to 7 inch at the bottom and 5 inch at the top. Depending on your gear, there's even more compression possible.

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Locale: 38.97ËšN, 95.26ËšW

Just returned from a one nighter w/ my Ohm and newly configured backpad. I cut off approx. 12" from a Ridgerest and put in there along w/ my '09 Thermrest Prolite Plus 48" folded in thirds. While, I didn't have as much weight this go around as last time. I will say the support this way was comparable to the burrito sans the Ridgerest piece. I now have something for my boney ankles to rest on overnight. I'm still thinking about pairing up one of the Prolite XS mattresses w/ some CCF. This will only save me about 4oz. though. I'm still loving the load transfer on the Ohm. My only complaint continues to be the hipbelt sliding off the padding and allowing the pack to fall off my upper hips and ride heavy on my shoulders. I'm about a 33" waist and I'm starting to think I should have gotten the smaller belt and dealt w/ the tighter fit…?

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

I've found that I like the hip-belt on my Ohm to ride low, to a point where the hip-belt is under my hipbones at the front.

You can get a large Ohm with a medium hip-belt, you just have to call Brian, or specify this when ordering it.

You could also send it back, and he could do the modification as well, when they open up again?

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Here's a link to my hip-belt modification photo's:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/574038885cafyfh

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Michael, I like your beefed up version of the hipbelt. I'm not even dissatisfied w/ the size of the belt. I like the simple version that's provided. I just prefer my hipbelt to stay over my upper hipbones. I don't have any "cushion" on my hips for the belt to grab on to, so I'm dependent on the belt cinching down over the tops of my hips and the belt stopping when it hits my hip bones. As I discuss this, I'm beginning to think that I should have went Medium hipbelt. It maxes out at 33" though and I was afraid that layering of clothes during cold hikes would prove problematic, so I went bigger. There's no way I will ever max out the large though. I've got like 18" of strap hanging from the belt.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Lucas: I have a 32-33" waist and tried both large and medium Ohms. While neither pack worked out for me in the end (due to torso fit), I liked the medium hipbelt much better. And I wouldn't think you'd have a problem fitting the medium belt over a couple of layers – there was some wiggle room in there if I remember correctly. If you'll be hiking in a michelin man parka though, then it might get tight.

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Brad, that's useful info. I might send my Ohm back to ULA here when they get back up and running over the winter and have them replace my hipbelt w/ a medium. I am really digging this pack and I refuse to let a hipbelt be a breaking point for me.

Funny story about the Michelin man parka. My buddy's dad owned a car lot back in the day. Somehow, through a vendor, etc. he got ahold of Michelin Parkas for my buddy. They were royal blue and had a patch on the chest of the Michelin Man logo.

The thickest I usually get is a fleece over a longsleeve layer. Looking to replace the fleece w/ down/synthetic sweater type jacket.

B. F.

@thrush

Lucas, I always have boney hips, but I also like to carry the Ohm UNDER the hips wich works great. Carrying it over them is not good for my stomach :) Size L works good for this, I cutted the long straps down to a lengh that has some reserves for when I get old and fat or for winter clothing.

Viewing 13 posts - 126 through 138 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools