Topic

Visibility to helicopters if lost, stranded or injured

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Visibility to helicopters if lost, stranded or injured

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sarcasm. Who says it doesn't translate online?

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Keep in mind we are talking about very specific circumstances here, late fall with snow on the ground. At that point the fire season is over. If a fire did start, unlikely as that is, it can not persist for long. Too cold and too damp. The forestry folks take advantage of this period to burn slash piles. Why? because the risk is so low.

From a survival standpoint, getting a patch of trees to burn long enough to be seen will be a bigger concern than the possibility of a runaway fire.

In any case, thousands of acres of forest burn every year, as they have for centuries.

Backfires are lit all the time to protect homes.
    A persons life is more valuable than anybody's house and I am confident a judge will see it that way as well.

True, it isn't a great option but it is better than no option.

Edited to be less snippy. As fun as that is.

Don Morris

@hikermor

Thanks for dialing it down. I will try and do the same. My point is that you would be trying a signalling technique that isn't as effective as many others mentioned – signal mirrors, especially. We haven't placed much emphasis in this thread on the newer electronic devices like PLBs which generally work quite well.

As an old smoke eater, I don't think highly of arsonists, even when it might be hypothetically justified. mother Nature sets plenty of fires as it is. Conditions for fire spread and propagation can be tricky, especially for the untrained and naive (the largest forest fire in Arizona history was ignited by a lost hunter, I believe). I have seen fires spreading right along, even with fire on the ground. Slope orientation, vegetation type, and wind are major factors.

I would agree that, in extremis, I would commit an illegal act, rather than perish, but that is pretty unlikely.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools