Topic

FBC Meals using 1 cup of water?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition FBC Meals using 1 cup of water?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

In my quest to go lighter, my newest experimental boiling pot will hold 8-10 oz. (actually 12 to the rim, but can't boil that much, so call it 10 max). Most of the meals I've tried require 1.5-2 cups of boiling water. I'm trying to plan around the pot, but need help please. Anybody have experience with meals/recipes that will work with 1 cup of H2O? I don't merely want to cut down on the volume to achieve this.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Sure! Use couscous as your base. It requires less water than rice does.

Why do meals take more water? Mostly because of the dried vegetables/meat/rice. You can of course eat less and bring along pouched seafood or meat…or you can soak vegetables in cool water first, then add to the meal with the hot water for the carb (this works well, but of course you will be carrying an extra snack size bag to soak in).

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Packit Gourmet has a section dedicated to meals that use little water.

http://www.packitgourmet.com/DroughtConditions1Person.html

The Trailside Bean & Cheese Burrito and the All American Burger Wrap are pretty good.

You can get by with 8oz of water with Ramen (add this to spice it up a bit: http://www.packitgourmet.com/RamenRescue.html)

It calls for 12oz but I only use 8-10 oz of water for the Texas State Fair Chili: http://www.packitgourmet.com/Texas-State-Fair-Chili.html

Texas State Fair Chili is my absolute favorite trail dinner.

I have no affiliation with Packit Gourmet, I just like some of their recipes. They do have somewhat bulky packaging, but it can all be repackaged no problem.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Yes. See my final rice recipe in the nearby "one pot rice" thread. That's a one-cup-of-water recipe.

When the rice is added and expands, you're looking at closer to 2 cups of volume, but I assume you have a bag (or other container) for the assembled meal.

Aside: Do you own a dehydrator?

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

Try the instant Velveeta shells & cheese (the kind that comes in a little microwavable cup). Two packs of that, repackaged into a Ziplock, and with some hot sauce, makes a fairly tasty and filling meal. It requires ~1/2 cup of water (just enough to cover the shells in the bottom of the bag) and ~10 minutes of cozy time.

You can find 'em in most gas stations and supermarkets, so they're easy to get on a resupply day during a long hike.

Hope it helps!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools