Topic

Potential move overseas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

"Suburbia in Japan isn't American Suburbia. I lived in a city of 500,000 and we were only 15 mins from Yokohama. There are plenty of younger people and plenty of a nightlife regardless of where you live. There are tons of little bars, restaurants, bowling alleys, etc… in every neighborhood."

That's good to know. When I get a chance to go I'll scope out both the urban and sub-urban areas.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

"The other thing with Calgary is that it is sunny during the winter. So there are very few dreary days. They might be short but they are nice."

That would certainly be a mitigating factor.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Heath: I do NOT want to know why a toilet has four buttons and two electrical circuits.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Only four buttons? Must be a low end model! Probably doesn't even have real time urinalysis.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

And is the top of the tank also a sink? Brilliant!

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

David, this is a low end model. There are/were more expensive toilets. The buttons are for male/female as in where to spray the water hot/cold water and the intensity of the spray. Americans don't get bidets but they are quite popular in most of the world and honestly I feel they are a more sanitary way of cleaner your nether regions after using the bathroom. The sink toilet combo is great you wash your hands after you flush with the water that is filling the toilet back up. The Japanese are ingenious about recycling everything. It is one of the things I love about Japan. That and I miss vending machines full of hot/cold coffee/tea on every street corner. Oh and Japanese baths or furo are awesome. It's electronic as well. You push a button to fill the tub to a preset level with a preset temperature. Once it reaches both it beeps to let you know its ready and it recirculates the water through a heating system under the tub and your water always stays hot. Japanese tubs are for soaking not bathing. You always bathe before you get in the tub.

One of the coolest things I saw was my neighbors had a Panahome built by Panasonic. It had electric everything; solar panels on the roof, electric storm shutters, the windows would turn dark at the press of a button and on and on. It was a sweet house. Stuff you would never ever see in the USA. Japan is decades ahead of us when it comes to most technology/transportation.

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools