Topic

Heineken Pot Lid with Sipper

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Heineken Pot Lid with Sipper

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I tried the lid off of a childs drinking cup as a lid for the Heineken Pot. I worked just fine. No more burned lips, maybe, hav'nt tried it with hot water yet. Will let you know more when I try it with HOT water.

Heineken pot lid
    Heineken pot lid

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

:D

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

So wrong it's cool. Direct this to backpacking parents, especially Doug Johnson. :-)>

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

The kid'll sleep like the proverbial baby.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Dan,

I agree with the other posters. That is so wrong. Parents should never encourage their children to drink cheap beer. At least have the decency to replace the Heiny swill with a good IPA.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

That's great… really cool. I will say that you might have to drill a hole in the lid on the opposite end from the moutpiece. If you drink hot water without a way to relieve the pressure, the water may shoot out the mouthpiece when you try to drink from it. Just look coffee cups from gas stations/McDonalds/etc.

That Ultralight Outfitters ESBIT stove comes with a silicone "rubber band" that fits around the mouth of the beer can. It works well to prevent burnt lips. I have never found a source for those bands but have meant to ask the stove vendor. I wonder if one could be found that would fit your beer can?

Another neat plus might be a piece of neoprene to insulate the cup (integrated pot cozy/insulator). Just a thought.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I seem to recall something like that from my childhood. But it was rum and coke instead of nasty beer.
    That's a slight exaggeration, I never had my own cup, but I did get a sip of dad's if I asked. I suppose they start you pretty early if you're German and Catholic…

Adam

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I should not have told you guys where I got it from. I should have said I found it at one of the local coffee shops while trying to sober up and forgot which coffee shop I was at.

I did boil 2 cups of water in the pot with the lid on and let it boil for 1 1/2 min. The plastic did get a tad softer but still remainded leak proof when tipped on it's side. I let it cool off a little and sipped on some really hot water without burning my lips.

It's dual purpose!!!! Pot Lid and Lip Protector.

Getem at your local coffee shop.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Hi Dan,

Despite my weisenheimer remark, I really think you came up with a great idea. I was debating whether or not to take my Heineken pot on my next trip and your Sippy cup idea tipped me over the edge. Is there any particular Sippy cup I should look for or is there a standard size?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

The name on the bottom of the cup is luv n' care, 7 oz./207ml.

I'm not aware if there is a standard. This is the one I use for breakfast juice ; )

My wife said she bought them at Kmart in the baby dept.(2 years ago)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools