Topic

is a Downtek hooded jacket the new insualtion layer?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) is a Downtek hooded jacket the new insualtion layer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have been thinking a bit and I guess what I would like to get is a Downtek down jacket with a hood to be that insulation layer for colder temps and also for the wet. I am not going to walk around in the rain with it so I am not worried about that too much. The thing is I don't think there is anyone out there that makes something in the XLT-XXLT range. Millet and Brooks Range both make hooded jackets but I can't find anymore. Thoughts, suggestions?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

GoLite came out with the Bitterroot in Downtek for $199 this season. Might be worth a look

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are also DIY down treatments, but i have no idea how well they work or not. What little i've read and researched about it, there seems to be some controversy/disagreement about whether or not these help.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Yeah, I forgot about the Bitterroot. That might work in an XXL.

And I don't know about the wash-ins but then again I really haven't heard anything about them. Will they work lie the DWR stuff where you have to keep applying it over and over because I am looking for something more permanent.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I did contact Golite and the Bitterroot does have 150g of insulation in it which is over 5oz so it will be really puffy.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Mec has a light degree hoodie. It is cut fairly large and is not too poofy. Slighly more loft than a patty down sweater but much warmer. 180 grams of down.

Edit: this is not a downtek down jacket. I could have sworn it was last year. They did clear out the old ones though and this is the revised model.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

EMS has the Icarus hooded jacket, but I don't think it comes in tall sizes…

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I did see the EMS but it only goes up to a XL which is not enough. Thanks.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

LL Bean makes their 850 fill power DownTek jacket up to XXL and also up to XXL a tall version. It does not have a hood, though.

Marmot is making both their Guides Down and Hangtime hoodies with Down Defender (their version of DownTek). However, both are 650 fill power duck down so they don't pack down as small. I have the older Hangtime and it's more of a full-on winter coat. Big, puffy, and warm.

http://marmot.com/catalog/mens/jackets–vests/down-insulated/216-303-140–4?ft=140

For a hoody, I lust for their 900 fill Quasar Hoody with 10D Quantuum Pertex. I have the similar 800 fill Zeus jacket (no hood) that I found for $99 at TJ MAXX. It might be the most comfortable piece of clothing I've ever worn. Goes in my pack for an insulation layer, but I've also been known to put it on while watching football on the sofa, just because it's so comfortable…

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the Marmot stuff and it doesn't seem to be better than the Golite either on price or weight.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Goosefeet or Nunatak will do custom sizing, and they are have only and all the features you want.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools