Topic

Sawyer Mini design…so close

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sawyer Mini design…so close

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    John Holmes

@jcholmes

Locale: SouthEastern US

I have loved my Squeeze since Sawyer released it. It replaced a 23 oz First Need purifier with a 5.5 oz system that did nearly the same job with less effort and hassle.

The new Mini is a huge improvement over the Squeeze in nearly every aspect but one … a design decision that has me baffled. Why not put the same input fitting on the output side? You would lose no functionality and gain the ability to screw on the clean bag creating a "closed" system. This would eliminate spills and greatly reduce the chance of cross contamination. This one simple modification would make the Mini, IMHO, perfect.

Am I missing something?
    How best to present this suggestion to Sawyer?
    Would they listen?

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I 100% completely and totally agree. The mini is still an improvement over the original, but female threads on the outlet would be a HUGE improvement on the mini…Maybe that's in the works for the 2015 model… ;)

I wonder how well it would work to take a standard-thread bottle cap, drill a hole thru the center to clear the nipple, and bond it to the outlet. That would, in effect, add female threads to the outlet. I think I know what my first Mini mod will be!

Edit: I think contacting Sawyer and telling them about the idea, is a good idea. The more people that express a need for this feature, the more they'll be compelled to add it into future products.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I'de say the new Mini is a slight improvement – 1 ounce

If you had female threads on the output, you could use it to backwash

With either the Squeeze or Mini, screw it on soda or water bottle, squeeze and there's a stream of water, point it at and fill your clean water bottle

If you screwed it into clean water bottle, it would create air pressure and quickly inhibit flow.

I went backpacking with some teenagers. They had a MSR filter. Screwed output onto Platypus bag. The Platypus bag exploded. Fortunately, they had extra bags (and extra saws, axes, stoves,…).

Andy Stow
    BPL Member

@andys

Locale: Midwest USA

Maybe the outer case isn't strong enough to take the load of someone attaching bottles directly to both sides, and they left the threads off to prevent a failure mode. Forces you to use a piece of tubing, instead of like this:

YouTube video

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Sounds like a great idea, John, for those using gravity or squeezing to fill a collapsible bottle.

Am new to all this, so please bear with me. The part I don't get, is why the syringe doesn't mate with the output tube for back flushing. Will make a little connector, but don't get why Sawyer didn't make it possible to attach the syringe. (The supplied straw doesn't mate with the syringe.)

Also wonder where I'll get filtered water to backflush with. If any old lake or stream water is used, it will contaminate the output tube. Boiled and cooled water would be OK, but it would still be filled with the microscopic stuff that clogs up the filter in the first place. Or is it advisable to backflush only when you reach a public water supply?

Thinking I must be missing something here. Can anyone clear it up? Thanks.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Mini Adapter

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

"Also wonder where I'll get filtered water to backflush with."

You filter some water

Then use it to backflush

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

If it was the same on both ends people would use it backwards too easily. They don't read, follow or seem to comprehend instructions. You know, those people.

John Holmes

@jcholmes

Jerry – I use collapsible bottles so with a litte care I'm pretty sure I won't be blowing anything up :)

Andy – I suppose a material weakness is possible, but my experience with both the Squeeze and the Mini make me doubt it. That black plastic is tough!

Chad – Easy, yes! Also needlessly complicated requiring 2 more pieces and another $5 purchase. That said, I had planned to implement exactly what you have shown as it is the best option short of the mod I proposed.

Ken – Maybe "those" people deserve what they get? I'm joking. Also I fail to see how the current design prevents using the filter backwards…hook it up per Chad's suggestion and have at it.

BTW, I sent my original post to Sawyer's feedback email address. I'll post any response I receive.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

I figure that many that already had the Squeeze likely already have the adapters like in my photo. Although, I understand not all do…The Platy drinking tube would also work.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Unfortunately, "those" people are also litiginous…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Unfortunately, "those" people are also litiginous…"

Naw, just hosers, eh? :)

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Very funny – har-de-har-har-ha.

Jerry, re:
    "You filter some water.
    Then use it to backflush"

Duh OK. Could you also tell me if I'm missing something about why the syringe doesn't connect to the outflow tube for backflushing? Thanks.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I must be missing something. I hate it when I make a joke but didn't know I was doing so : )

On the Squeeze there's a nipple on the output as well as male threads

You push the syringe against that nipple and push on the syringe to get water to flow backwards through the filter

You have to hold the syringe aginst the nipple, it doesn't connect in any way

This is sort of awkward, I don't know why they don't design it so it fits on, but no big deal

I assume the mini is the same

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

+1 to what the OP said.

-1 to all these "mods" just to make it work like it should

John Holmes

@jcholmes

John,
    As one of the most prolific, and referenced reviewers of gear on the web I assume you have informed Sawyer of this "oversight"? :)

If I have to mod it to make it "work as it should" I will. Just think such mods are a little silly given how good the rest of the design is.

Like I said…so close!

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

I gotta admit, it's hard to please the masses with this one. I personally like it the way it is. I have no need to screw anything to the top of it, so it works for me, while being the lightest weight possible… Just sayin'…

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Jerry,
    Was laughing at the other posts, although yours was pretty good even if not intended to be witty.
    Thank you for clearing up the connection issues. I will make a connector to hold the front of the syringe to the outflow tube of the mini.
    And thanks for the heads up. Will make sure not to let the mini get totally clogged before filtering water for backflushing.
    FYI, am back to trying to mate a handpump with a squeeze, this time with the mini.
    Although I gave up before, there now seems to be a little light at the end of the tunnel. We'll see in a bit.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Actually, I intended to be not intending to be funny which is funny : )

We're a pretty funny bunch here…

I never use my Squeeze for more than a week so I just backflush it when I get home

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Jerry,
    Just re-read Daryl's thread, the one with yours and Harald Hope's comments.
    Looks like a syringe with a nozzle would be better than trying to devise a connector for the syringe that comes with the mini.
    Even better, since I switched to soft-sided Nalgenes, a substitute Nalgene top with a nozzle could plug right into a tube from the mini for backflushing.
    Now to find a Nalgene top with a nozzle.
    Got it: http://store.nalgene.com/product-p/1-0460-26.htm
    Without the clear dome cap, a half oz lighter than the 2 oz. syringe that came with the mini. Already have two, because the soft-sided bottles came with them.
    Progress, maybe.

John Holmes

@jcholmes

I have to agree with Chad…you can't please everyone. Cheers to those who like the mini exactly as is.

Not being one of those, here is the modification I made for $0 and a 15 minute investment:

– Take any cap that will screw onto your clean bottle (I used one of the caps from the sawyer bottles…I never use them).
    – Drill a hole in the top of the cap slightly larger than the output nipple.
    – Slide the cap over the nipple and epoxy it to the body.
    – I nipped the tether off of the cap and simply slip the cap on. True, the cap is no longer captured, but I noticed that the stiff plastic of the tether had already started to fatigue and crack.

Sawyer Mini output modification

Finally, note that this modification still allows use of the Mini in any of the "stock" configurations.

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

insideend I have to say I like your mod to the mini. I moded my squeeze but it took a lot more work and money. I may have to try the mini mod, Hows the epoxy holding??

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Clever! Food grade silicone adhesive might work too. If you're not using the fitting for back flushing, there is little pressure on that side. Holding the weight of the full container is the stressful part.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

>> Holding the weight of the full container is the stressful part.

Yes, and the key, in my opinion. Using tubes like Chad did is fine, except the tubes can very easily come off. This is why the Tornado Tube approach (shown in the video Andy linked to) is popular. Just hang everything from the top cord, and you have a great drip system. It looks like the epoxy technique can do the same thing. Nice modification. Like everyone said, though, it would be nice to not have to do these sorts of modifications. I think there should be holes in the side of the bags so that it is obvious you can hang it from there, along with good connectors for the clean side. Worrying about setting up backwards seems like a needless worry. There are plenty of drip filters that can be set up backwards. Just put big arrows on the outside and you are good to go.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Kurt,

So far so good. The epoxy is holding like…well…epoxy :) Seriously, I think the cap would fail long before the attachment.
    Street price for the Mini seems to be about $20 which darn near puts it in the "disposable" category. I'd really like to see Sawyer address this design "shortcoming" but since people like Chad like it as is, perhaps 15 min. work, a spare cap and a dab of glue is a very small inconvenience to make a great product almost perfect.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools