Topic

Passing Time in Camp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    John Heimel

@buster14

Locale: central coast california

I've been studying spanish and on my last solo trip I would go over my flash cards. I also had cut some pages out of and old learning spanish textbook. Also walking down the trail you can go over your verb conjugations in your head or outloud. Great way to pass time and learn.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

I bring my Cowon D2, a multi player MP3 unit. I pack 3 or 4 books both audio and text, numerous podcasts from NPR, Tons of music — mostly classical, 5 or 6 movies and also listen to the FM on it (although tuning into the "outside" world can be most depressing at times so I limit this experience.) I also record my thoughts using the "Record" feature which I then transcribe when I get home into my trail journal on my computer. (This supplements my written journal that I keep on the trail. I sometimes feel that my handwriting suffers when I am out on the trail.)
    I have found that I enjoy hiking the trail alone, setting my own pace and stopping when I want, but often want to seek out companionship when in camp. In this way I meet so many interesting people and enjoy hearing their stories and talking gear.

Paul Banbury

@exechobo

Locale: Olympics

We use a game of 5 dice, with fun but Byzantine rules, called 10,000. When solo, I write and read, rationing the latter to a few pages ripped from a second hand paperback that serves as fire tinder too.

Jessen Jacobsen
    BPL Member

@jessenj

Locale: Boulder

On longer trips I like to bring my Martin S-O Ukulele. It weights about 11 oz, and since my base weight is under 10 lbs, it doesn't hurt to bring it along.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

What a great post (that I missed when current). When out with my husband, we tend to retire early (having eaten dinner a couple hours ago) and often engage in 'isometric exersise'. When solo, I tend to hike much later and spend any remaining time organizing my stuff for the next day and doing the occasional gear repair as I usually can't wait to get to sleep although I have carried a constellation cart and like to stargaze. A great tactic is to hike during the annual meteor showers. When visibility is good there is no better entertainment (bonus if the moon is not full). Here's a schedule:
    January 3rd Quadrantids–low long paths, April 21st Lyrids–swift streaks, May 4th Aquarids–swift long paths, July 28th Delta Aquarids–slow long paths, August 11th Persids–swift streaks (incidently, John Denver wrote about the Persids in his song "Rocky Mountain High", "I've seen it raining fire in the sky…", October 9th Draconids–swift steaks, October 19th Orionids swift streaks, November 9th Taurids–slow and short, November 15th Leonids swift bluish streaks, December 12th-13th Geminids–swift short paths. On my to do list is some night photography–love those dusk shots with a flashlight lit shelter in the foreground.

George Gagesch

@coolbreeze-2

I find this to be a facinating subject. I have only been out once for a weekend by myself. It was a very emotional experience. Nothing like getting into your own head. At night in camp I listened to a MP3. This helped pass the time. I thought that I wasn't cut out to go solo, but thinking about it later it seems the longer you are alone the more natural it becomes. Can't imagine what it feels like after a week let alone 18 days. What I did feel was extremely relaxed afterwards. It was nice to do whatever came to mind. After that trip when I did go with others I hiked alone during the day and met up in camp. That seemed to work pretty well for me because it's also nice to have the company in the evenings. I will go solo again, hopefully for a longer trip. I think a journal is a great idea.

Wayne Teipen

@wamyteipen

Locale: midwest

Tai Chi is relaxing and helps work out sore muscles at the end of the day. Also, hacky-sak, although a bit cliche for us backpackers, is a good way to pass time. Just don't do it too close to any steep precipices! ha ha

Gregory Doggett

@gregory

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Flyfishing.
    Most of my solo trips are planned around this.
    Even if it only means fishing a half hour or so of the evening and following morning.
    I would like to take my upright bass but can't make it fit under my Gatewood Cape with me.
    Greg

Miguel Marcos

@miguelmarcos

Locale: Middle Iberia

Greg, you could always try the Ned Steinberger!

David King
    Spectator

@dking1005

Locale: Olympic Peninsula

I've started to carry my smartphone with me. I load it with books and read in camp.

A few years ago my car was broken into at the Eagle Creek trailhead in Oregon (something of a tradition) and I quit taking my cell phone at all. But I do a lot of solo trips of 2 – 3 days and though reception is spotty it's desirable for safety and to keep my wife informed.

So I've pressed it into service for reading matter. I've used a smartphone at work for years and it's quite easy to load books into it. There's lots of classics in the public domain. At 8 oz it's about as heavy as penguin paperback. You have to get used to the tiny display but it's similar to reading a newspaper column or The New Yorker. At the moment I have all loaded all of Jane Austin's novels, Darwin's voyage of the Beagle and Dana's Two Years Before the Mast.

You don't need a light to read in the tent. I turn off the phone and wireless and pack an extra battery.

Of course most of my time I spend hiking, exploring or puttering about in camp. Or just gazing at what I came so far to see.

I also pack an mp3 player. The phone could do this as well but music takes a lot of space and the player only weighs 1.5 oz. This is a bit off the thread though, since I seldom listen to music in camp – preferring the natural music of the forest. I use the player for the long hikes out when I'm tired and running for the barn.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Thanks for the ideas everyone…I went ahead and ordered these:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/mini_playing_cards.html

and these:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/micro_dice.html

…practically weightless, and cheap!
    And before my next multi-day outing, I'm going to drop by the art store for some paper and watercolors. I really do like the idea of painting when I get to my site – even if it looks terrible, I think it would be fun to compare photos with painting afterwards.

Slipped my mind who recommended it – but thanks.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

drink some single malt scotch!

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Great thread ressurection!

Harmonica's seem easier to learn and harder to perfect. Not sure I would want to listen too long to someone "learning" harmonica if I was sharing a camp every night for days.

Learning something is admirable…and a second language is really ambitious.

I often wished I had a hiking partner or two who could throw down some groovy tunes during the evenings. Ukelele (sp?) seems cool too.

I vote for Fishing and or a little Whisky.

The micro-dice came out with a group 2 years ago, and I think we took one look at them and said, "there is no way in hell we can keep track of those things, with our 35 year-old eyes, at night…with Whisky", and never used them once.

May have to try the cards though. Poker for pine-cones.

Laurence Daniels
    BPL Member

@gnr

Locale: Boston

I collect 3-4 newspaper crossword puzzles prior to heading out. As I complete them, or once I've had enough, they start my fire. Sudoku is great too.

HighPeak Drifter

@arlanb1

I tear off about 50 pages of a "diabolical"-level Sudoku paperback… Keeps me focused for hours on each puzzle. (That's the nice thing about not being too good at Sudoku).

Sudoku is also great for long air flghts, hospital stays, wakes, weddings, etc.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

An iPod Nano with a few books on tape will give you 12 hours (the listed batterey life) of audiobooks to listen to for less than an ounce. Or, get an mp3 player with a removeable battery for longer treks. I personally use my smartphone, which plays books from http://www.audible.com (2 books a month for $20 a month, check to make sure your mp3 player is compatible). If you don't want to pay each month, iTunes has a section of audiobooks for around $20 each, no subscription required (but you have to use devices with no replaceable batteries). Either way, a great price considering the cost of books on CD.

I much prefer books on tape now, as I can lie down and let my body relax while listening, instead of contorting my body to read. It's also great for long stretches up switchbacks, as I find the time passes more quickly than with music alone. I also don't waste my flashlight battery at night. Laying down in the pitch black in a tent with an engrossing audiobook can really immerse you into the story!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Unless I misssed it, I didn't see anyone mention listening to BPL podcasts. I have been enjoying several, usually on the drive to work. Here are some links to my favorites. Or you can go to itunes to download them.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/sc/Podcasts/index.html?id=6qWsTZnM:216.15.87.154

http://www.wildebeat.net/

http://www.trailcast.org/

http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/blog/

http://theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/html/podcasts.html

http://anthonysaudiojournal.blogspot.com/

Although you can't listen to it on your mp3 player, Tony Farley doees a great job just showing off Yosemite (his park) and areas around it with this videocast. Not too much talking, just enough to let you know what you are seeing. Fantastic scenery

http://homedir-a.libsyn.com/podcasts/bffadd43ef6d43487ce79a777d92fa8d/46abd58b/beautifulplaces/_static/beautifulplaces.html

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools