Topic

Moto-Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Moto-Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

We have been living well with one vehicle and I have considered getting a scooter or motorcycle to get to trailheads so I don't tie the car up. I've assumed that I would chain it up at a trailhead to thwart thieves, but there is still the possibility of vandalism. That is a possibility with cars too.

That aside, I have done some research on taking buses to trailheads. In Washington state, AMTRAK provides bus service to some of the mountain pass summits that are also crossing points for the PCT. There are some other local mass transit bus options too.

Some bus options allow using a bicycle as well. That opens up riding a bike to a trailhead. It should be easy enough to stash a bike in the brush and cable or chain it to a tree.

The other hybrid travel option is built around a number of roads that have been closed to vehicle traffic due to flood damage. Most can be accessed with a bike, reducing hours of walking to the original trailheads to fractions of an hour by bike.

I've had a pet progeny in mind for years involving a ski and hiking train loop through the Cascades. This is something that has been done in Europe for decades. A light rail system paralleling the major highways could link the major ski slopes in the winter and drop hikers off at trailheads in the summer. I would expect that all kinds of service industries would develop around the transpotaton hubs.

The core concept is that we are still stuck in a frontier/pioneer frame of mind when it comes to backcountry access. We are living on another planet now and it's time to rethink these things. Of course it inclines so much more, like urban planning, suburban sprawl and more.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Another thing to consider is that States vary in land management practices. Only reasonable. Montana has a population just over 1 million. Utah 2.8 million, Nevada almost 2.8 million, Idaho 1.6 million. California has 38 million. Just some facts for thought.

So I'm not surprised that we look at things differently.

Over 1.6 million miles of unpaved roads (53 percent of all roads) are unpaved. Many of these roads will remain unpaved due to very low traffic volume and/or lack of funds to adequately improve the subgrade and base before applying pavement layer(s). In some countries, economic constraints mean gravel roads are the only type that can be provided.

Dirt and gravel roads represent a very small percentage of roadways maintained by state DOTs in almost all cases; counties and federal agencies manage the large majority of the dirt and gravel roads in the United States. Nevertheless, a few state DOTs have become very involved in managing dirt and gravel roads and have developed environmental stewardship practices and partnerships that may be useful for other state DOTs.

Ian Clark
    BPL Member

@chindits

Locale: Cntrl ROMO

I used my DRZ400 all summer to access areas near the Weminuche that were closed to the road bound crowd due to several wild land fires in the area. It was a great way to get to an area that was off limits to most.

I'm not really ever bothered by dirtbikes when I'm out walking or backpacking, as I am only on trails a short time and moving cross country most of the time. I do find irony in the amount of work the local MTB crowd does to clear trails of rocks, trees, and roots in the name of trail maintenance while simultaneously ruining a good challenging trail for dirt bikers.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

Motorcycle touring/ camping is probably my favorite hobby, bar none. IN the past few years I have also added backpacking to my list of hobbies. I enjoyed the article, and agree that they share many similarities.

That said, I just don't care to combine the two. I agree with what Ken (I think it was), said, after a backpacking trip where I'm hot/ cold/ tired/ sore (if it was a good trip :-)…a "cage" like my Tacoma is far more pleasant to relax in for the drive home. I do love to explore on my motorcycles, even forest service roads, etc. I have owned a number of dual-sport bikes, including the F800GS shown in the article. My current bikes are the R1200GS and R1200R. I just love the big boxer engine on the highways and twisties. But even though I ride dual-sports, I'm honest enough to admit that taking my 500lb pig "off-roading" is not what I'd call easy, and I rarely ride on roads that a Honda Civic couldn't negotiate with a few paint scratches or slides on the skidpan.

When I go backpacking one of the huge draws for me is exactly what motorcycle's can't do. I LOVE the feeling that I am in an area that vehicles can't get to…not because they are't allowed, but because they are too remote/ steep. I also worry about my bike at the trailhead. When moto-camping that is not a concern, because I'm sleeping next to it. Finally, I like to backpack with my dog, and she doesn't fit on the bike (here come the side-car suggestions lol).

So in a nutshell, I love both hobbies, but try not to combine them. But I have to agree wholeheartedly with oneof the main points of the article. For pure relaxation of mind and being at peace, there is nothing on earth like a solo motorcycle ride. The views, smells, wind, temperatures, and at times slight adrenalin dumps are just awesome for the mind and soul. Backacking gives a good feeling of serenity with that nice healthy tired feeling. Motorcycling takes it a step further and adds pure relaxation.

Me on my beast at OX 2013: (Photo by Kali)
    Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools