Topic

BUg protection in Mids

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BUg protection in Mids

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

Anybody have a mid with just some perimeter bug netting? Is this sufficient to keep out the bugs? Mainly worried about the flying ones. Looking really hard at an HMG UltaMid2 or a BPW Luna 2. I need something that is comfortable for 6'3", so if anyone has any recommendations, please share.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I took delivery of a SuperMid with perimeter bug netting this summer for use in Colorado. It also has removable netting in the peak vent. In my limited use so far, the noseeum mesh has worked well to keep out the wee nasties as long as the door was closed.

The one time I left the door open for a prolonged period, I had a number of bugs inside, all flying close to the peak. I simply removed the peak vent net, closed the SuperMid's door, and the bugs exited through the vent within a few minutes. Once clear, I revelcroed the net back into peak vent.

I find I'm able to pitch the SuperMid anywhere from 4-6" higher than MLD's recommendations, thanks to the perimeter mesh. That adds to the ventilation. But that may not be enough if you wish to camp with a door open. John at BearPaw has modified a SuperMid to include a full door net, so that may be a solution if you feel the need.

The primary downside to perimeter netting, aside from the weight penalty (approx 8oz on the SuperMid), is it limits use in winter. The netting may freeze to the ground and tear when you break camp. If you have any desire to use the Mid year-round, ask whether the manufacturer can install loops to secure the netting when not needed. In hindsight I wish I'd done that.

likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

8 oz? Really? That seems a bit much. Netting on the door is a great idea though. I just can't find many reviews on either of the Mids I mentioned, to get a better grasp.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

The SuperMid's a 4P shelter, significantly larger than both the Luna 2 and UltaMid 2. It has approx 54sqft of mesh going around the perimeter (9'x9'x18"), hence the weight. However I'd still expect a larger 2P mid to gain ~6oz if you add perimeter mesh.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Another option would be a custom inner from Bearpaw Designs, whether it be a bug bivy or full sized inner. More weight, but also a bit more modular.

And as an aside, I highly recommend the Ultamid. It is a pretty rockin' shelter and I love it so far.

likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

I'm trying to avoid the extra cost and weight associated with an inner net, since the tent alone is $650. Getting a cuben shelter to fit anyone over 6'2" gets expensive quick. Bugs don't bother me too bad, it is more so for when the lady comes with. Geez women are picky :). Do you have a BPW inner net yourself? I was looking at the extended sized Pyranet and was curious how this would match up with the UltaMid?

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I've had a BPWD innernet in the past for a duomid, and it worked well, but yes, weight and cost are definitely a concern. Bugs haven't been too bad out here in Colorado this fall, so I haven't had the need for a bugnet yet. Luckily, my girlfriend is ok with out it. So far so good. ;)

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just bought a Mid and will be trying out the Sea2Summit nano mosquito pryamid netting. The solo weight in at 2.9 oz and the twin 4.8oz. I use a poncho/ground sheet so I did not want an inner set-up. I plan on going with the solo version of the nano that is under $50 and will give me a lot of flexibility. Bearpaw Wilderness Designs can add perimeter nets, doors, or floor (like the Zpacks Hexamid tent) to any Mid. For size/weight comparison I was quoted 3oz to add perimeter netting to a MLD DuoMid.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I just returned from a 12 day expedition in Labrador where the bugs are notorious, even at 10 degrees C. I used a mid for the first time, specifically the HMG Ultamid 2. There were two of us and we each had the new Seas to Summit Nano bug net. It worked very well with our Exped UL 7 pads. I attached a D-Ring for each net to the seams joining the back wall to the sides. While the netting is vulnerable to tears we managed to avoid any for the whole trip.

Derrick

likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

Sounds like the S2S is an affordable option for bug protection. I just wish some of these net tents were longer. Only option for that is custom and more money spent.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Sounds like the occasional weight penalty of an innernet would be a better compromise than permanently carrying around the perimeter net. I bought my SuperMid to use with the family, and it'd have been too small with the dedicated inner. However now I'm looking at a floor to keep Mrs D happy, so it might have been a false economy. Nevertheless, I really like the SuperMid as a group shelter. A great compliment to my Trailstar.

As for you, Mr. Croft, quite the HMG splurge recently :-) I am digging your black Porter. And I'm sure the UltaMid offers you quite a bit more room than the DuoMid of old.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Derrick – good to hear your Sea to Summit Nano worked. I just got my REI 20% member discount and will pick one up tomorrow,

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I ordered a cuben SoloMid a week ago with the perimeter net option, I didn't even know this StS Nano Net existed. This seems a better solution than the perimeter netting, leave the door open on clear nights and get some real ventilation. Oh well, I'll see how the perimeter netting works out and maybe I end up cutting it off and going with the Nano net.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

Hey Jason, I took delivery of the exact shelter you are talking about.

I am 6 ft 5 and wanted a mid to take the grom out in next year. (mom agreed to an overnighter when he is 9). My concern for him, not me was bugs. (I normally use my Cirraform tarp and Borah Bivy when bugs are bad) For a taller person the UltaMid is awesome it is H U G E huge. I have not had it on the trail but I have had it in a campground overnight just to see how it sets up and it is bomber The bug netting is pretty long and even with the mid set up high to breath, there is plenty of noseeum skirt to set your gear on to keep it from blowing around. (I overlapped polycry and my mattress/quilt on top of that.

The 2 vents on the top are really nice, and having the ability to vent a little or a lot is great. I spent the night in the rain, which turned to ice and completely encased the mid around 3 in the morning. no condensation inside with both vents open. I would also like to add that no water dripped through the zipper as some had mentioned concerns.

The skirting does add some weight. i want to say that my 17 oz mid is now 24 oz in the stuff sack with all stock guy lines and line locks. still not bad for a shelter this bombproof, and this huge.

With that said, I also had a cuben trailstar show up the other day and took him down to the park and he seems to like that even more w/o the bug net and w/o a door. this is my kind of kid!!!

YMMV

if you have any specific questions please feel free to send me a PM

Best,

Jeff

you might also want to check out http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=81013

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"I'm trying to avoid the extra cost and weight associated with an inner net"

You can get a solo inner for 7-10oz, which sounds like it's not much heavier than perimeter netting – and that weight includes a waterproof floor (whereas you'd want a ground sheet in addition to perimeter netting). So it might not actually be heavier during bug season, and outside of bug season you can leave it behind which you can't do with the perimeter netting.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I used a MLD SuperFly for several years which had perimeter netting. It seemed to do a fine job keeping the flying bugs out. The ants on the other hand, not so much.

–Mark

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

For bug protection in a mid I'm a big proponent of a bivy; DuoMid + Superlight bivy is my standard solo kit. A bivy negates the need for a groundsheet as well, ostensibly gives a few more degrees of rating on your sleep system, and is lighter than a full inner. (They also transfer to other tents or tarps, unlike a specially fitted inner.) This can be a regular bivy or if you want really light a specialized bug bivy. Lots of people seem to prefer the full-sized inners, though. Perhaps they find a bivy restrictive? Personally, I've never been happier since I figured out the bivy thing. Much less fiddly than an inner. Your height is no issue so long as you get a bivy that fits, whereas any inner will definitely cut into useable space inside the mid. (And any decent manufacturer offers "long" versions of their bivies.)

Of course, if this is really for a notional female camping partner and not for yourself then it depends upon if she is willing to use a bivy. In my experience the vast majority of less-than-fanatical hikers don't like bivies and would prefer a full inner, weight be damned.

While a perimeter bugnet might seem like a neat idea, I have my doubts that it works really well in practice. (Speaking purely out of ignorance, of course, as is my right as an American.) Most manufacturers don't guarantee the netting and certainly wouldn't replace it when it inevitably gets shredded without charging for the work. They usually won't even accept the mid back as a return if you discover that you don't like it, since they consider the netting a "custom" modification.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Perhaps a silly idea from one who has not used a mid, but could you not make a netting floor (a la Z-packs style) or a combo netting skirt attached to a WP floor? I guess you'd need a two way zipper along the bottom of the door panels to allow for an inverted T opening, but it seems like this would still weigh less than a full net inner and provide a fully bug free space.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

@ BER: I imagine the problem with a sewn in floor would be opening the mid in the rain. It might work well if the netting and floor splits the mid in half or 2/3 though. The SMD Lunar Solo is basically a small mid with this design and it works well for 1 person. I always thought it would work well if scaled up to a larger mid.

likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

I definitely do not want a floor installed. As Stuart had mentioned above, removal bug netting sounds like a great idea. I will have to contact HMG to see if they can do this. If not, I will see if I can send ti off to BPW or ZPacks to have something like that installed. I like the idea of being able to remove the netting when not needed, without having to drop $200-300 for an inner net that fits my specifications. I've never really run into an issue with crawling bugs here, I mainly wanna beat the flyers.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools