Topic

Gossamer Gear LT Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear LT Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Robin B
    BPL Member

@beckcommar

Locale: NorCal

Just thought I'd throw out a couple experiences as I am the new owner of a pair of CP3s and have used the BD carbon corks recently as well.

Like Jennifer, my one of my CP3s rattle and it definitely bothers me. I got in touch with Jotaro and we exchanged videos of poles and the sounds they make and he basically said that all of his poles rattle and the one I have that doesn't is the anomaly. So that's not ideal, but I'm still a bit torn as the CP3s are clearly more than sturdy enough for any trail and even some trickier off-trail walking and they are–of course–much lighter.

I was surprised how different it felt to carry them compared the BD poles. They are just so light and effortless. It made me want to take off the straps (which I swear by on the BDs) and just grip them. That got me thinking though that I'm pretty sure a lot of the weight difference between the BDs and the CP3s is actually in the grip and straps. The grips and straps on the BDs are much more robust and I wouldn't be surprised if in total they account for probably oz. of the difference in the weight (most of the difference).

So my suggestion to someone considering these would be to think less about the stiffness unless you do winter activities or really strain your poles and to think more about the tradeoff between a lighter weight and the much more robust strap and grip system on the BDs and similar poles.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

FWIW, my older generation CP2 poles don't rattle (unless it's so minor I just haven't noticed). As you mention, the CP2/3's are noticeably lighter than the ACC's – they feel much like a GG LT pole, which is the big attraction.

With the straps removed from my BD ACC's, they were 15.8oz/set so I only shaved about .5oz by ditching both straps, which isn't much but I don't like straps anyways. My guess is the extra 3oz for the ACC's is about 0.75oz in the grip, 0.25oz in the heavier flicklocks and 2oz in the tubing. I don't have numbers, but I had an extra BD ACC lower section kicking around for a while and it was obviously heavier than the 37g Locus Gear lower section. There was no doubt just picking the two up – and having the weight lower is worse because it increases the swing weight.

FWIW, the GG LT grips are about a gram lighter than the CP2 grips. With the straps removed from my CP2's (including the internal hardware that I removed when I swapped grips) they are now 9.75oz/set. Impressive but the GG LT4 poles are a ridiculous 7.4oz/set. I'm very happy with the CP2's for general mixed adventuring, but if I was on a long distance trail then the LT4's would be my first choice. My first pair of LT4's was the short version which went to 125cm's or so, and those weighed a mere 6.6oz.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Dan, and others who own Carbo Poles…

It seems to me there would be quite a bit of damage to the lower parts of carbon fiber poles. I assume this from all thousands of nicks I see on the lower sections of my aluminum poles. Carbon Fiber is soft and quite nickable, me thinks. Even trails have rocks in the High Sierra where I do most of my hiking.

So… what think those who own and have a couple of hundred miles on their carbo poles? How much damage? And is it fixable or you have to buy new poles at some point? Or a new lower section?

Also. If you own the Locus Gear CP3 FL poles can you tell me about the grips that come with it… are the tops soft? I like to 'palm' the tops on the down hills for maximum reach… some poles have hard or firm edges where to top transitions to the side and those edges can make my palms sore… lover the rounded egg-shaped tops of the Leki poles… but heavy :(

thanks,

Bill D.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"It seems to me there would be quite a bit of damage to the lower parts of carbon fiber poles….So… what think those who own and have a couple of hundred miles on their carbo poles? How much damage? "

I have well over a thousand miles on my Gossamer Gear LT4s. JMT, Winds, Grand Canyon, Colorado. Lots of nicks and scrapes. The LT4s have a "thick" spiral wrap on the Lowers that serves as "armor" for the structural components. It's meant to take the abuse, and protect the inner wraps. So, nicks and dings are not a problem.

But don't wedge a pole in a hole or crack and then give it a yank to get it out. Just let go, go back and get it.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

You know robin I thought the same thing about the straps! I have been a serious strap devotee since I started to learn to use poles…couldn't imagine NOT using them. But with the BD Z poles (which were, hands down, my favorite! Just don't work with a shelter…) and now these CP3s I do want to remove the straps. Actually, I kind of want to try to swap out the GG grips, now that I see how easy it is….

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

Does anyone know what the diameter is of the lower section of the CP3? Would the GG pole extender work in these so I could set up my duomid in an A frame? Just curious…

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

The GG pole extender has a larger diameter

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Jennifer –
    "…the BD Z poles- which were, hands down, my favorite! Just don't work with a shelter…"

Because they are not long enough for your shelter?

Or not adjustable to accommodate varying terrain?

Or…?

A "pole jack" (extension) will solve #1. Thin-walled brass tubing at Home Depot, Michael's, etc. can be "cut to fit" for the ideal setup.

Zach Sawyer

@soybomb

Is the only place to buy the CP3' online? How much does the price work out to in american, with shipping, for 2?

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Yes, you buy them from Locus Gear online. I want to say about $145 for the pair, including shipping. Sorry I'm not more exact but I bought the dual pole extender thing too, so that obviously upped it a bit. For the two, including shipping, it cost me $180.

The whole transaction actually cheaper and easier than I expected. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

FWIW, with the ACC's is that you can ditch one of the lower sections and toss in a GG LT4 lower section, which makes the pole much longer because you're adding a section from a 2 piece pole into a 3 piece pole. This doesn't really compromise stiffness because you only have 8" or so of the bottom section sticking out, and it allows you to set up rather tall 'mids.

What does replacing the lower section of an ACC with the LT4 lower do to the weight?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Re: .."mostly I was just tearing [the grips] off which worked fine." – DandyDan

It suddenly dawned that it won't be necessary to remove the whole grip on any of these poles to add an extension. Just cut the light foam extension off the discount poles I have, remove it if possible, maybe with boiling water, and slide it up the top section of the LT4s, Locus CP3s or Fizan Compact ULs until it mates with the original grip. Did this before with heavier golf club grips – should have been obvious. The golf pro has a secret formula for sliding the grips on – think it involves mineral spirits – may need to check with him again to try to pry out the exact formula (What turns mineral spirits milky white?).

All that is needed is to know the outside diameters of the top sections of these poles to be sure that the extension that fits over a 5/8" tube will fit. Alas, none of the companies have answered emails – probably figure they are just flak from some BPL gram weenie nut – OK, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

If any of you who have the LT4s, Locus CP3s, or Fizan Compact ULs would be kind enough to measure the outer diameter just below the grip and post same, it would be much appreciated.

When the extensions are installed, promise to post pix and the resulting total weight.
    Haven't decided yet on the pole, but leaning toward the Fizans because the 7001 alloy will bend before breaking, they are only an ounce apiece heavier than LT4s and about the same weight as the CP3s, and all who have them appear to say their twist locks actually work without slippage.

Thanks.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

hike 30 miles leaning heavily on your poles on downhills to slow your momentum before placing an injured leg down, and you wont consider removing your straps.

removing straps severely limits how much support poles can give you. Its like taking the shoulder support off a pair of crutches.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

"If you own the Locus Gear CP3 FL poles can you tell me about the grips that come with it… are the tops soft? I like to 'palm' the tops on the down hills"
    They're not good for this. When you palm the top you can feel the mechanism that the strap attaches to. If you push hard you can actually feel the end of the screw poking your hand. This is true for the CP2 FL poles and the CP3 appear to use the same grip setup. When I replaced my grips with LT4 ones I removed this mechanism, so now they work well for palming and they're lighter.

"Does anyone know what the diameter is of the lower section of the CP3?"
    12mm

What does replacing the lower section of an ACC with the LT4 lower do to the weight?
    I don't have numbers but the GG lower section was noticeably way lighter. I had the BD lower section kicking around for a year after I lost the rest of the poles and every time I picked it up I was surprised. The GG lower section is at most 1/2 the weight. The difference is at least 1/2oz (per pole) and could be a full oz.

"All that is needed is to know the outside diameters of the top sections of these poles"
    The LG CP3's are 16mm OD for the upper (non-tapered), while the LT4's are 14mm.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Anyone used the CP3 at or near their length limit? I'm 6'4 and use my poles at between 130-135cm and I'm wondering how strong/stiff the CP3 are at their max extension.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Dan,
    You wrote, "When I replaced my grips with LT4 ones I removed this mechanism, so now they work well for palming and they're lighter."

The LT4 are Gossamar Gear Poles? Can those grips be bought without buying the entire set of poles?

When you removed the mechanism does that mean you no longer have pole straps?

thanks,

Bill D.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Samuel, according to the ultralighoutdoorgear website, the Fizan Compact top pole has a diameter of 17mm, but I don't know if that is internal or external. If Fizan isn't responding to emails, try emailing UOG. They're usually very good at responding.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

>The LT4 are Gossamar Gear Poles? Can those grips be bought without buying the entire set of poles? <
    Trekking Pole Grips

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

I just ordered a pair of the CP3 and a set of grips with the intent of swapping them out when they get here. I'll try to take some pics and post weights, etc. once I have them set up. Not sure how long they take to get from Japan to the east coast so it could be a couple of weeks.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Thanks to all who provided info here or by PM about diameters of the LT4, CP3 and Fizan Compact poles. The responses were all different, but all over 5/8" (.625") (15.875mm), so all should work, because the foam extension sleeve can expand a bit with lubrication over the pole. Actually, with a tighter fit, no adhesive is needed, as I learned from the golf pro.

Since I palm my pole much of the time, the CP3s are a problem, and don't want the hassle of replacing the grips, so the Fizans of the same weight, 5.6-5.7oz, would be better for that reason, in addition to the other reasons stated in my earlier post.

Would like to save another ounce per pole with the LT4s, but a 2 section pole won't telescope short enough to secure the awning on the tent to be used, and would need to know a lot more about the composition and durability of the carbon tubes before spending that kind of money. Had over a decade of disappointments (and wasted time and money) with carbon tube tent poles before finally finding reliable ones, so am a little sensitive on that subject.

William, Thank you for the 17mm spec on the Fizan. Tried, but could not get through to ULOG – they would not accept numerous attempts to replicate their security codes on their contact page. Hate it when merchants do that, and furnish no email address.
    So will probably order the Fizans from ODGB which has been very reliable and responsive in the past.

First, though, must see if the extension sleeves on my cheapo poles can be removed intact. Yet another work in progress.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

"When you removed the mechanism does that mean you no longer have pole straps?"
    I removed the straps immediately, but the plastic connector and screw that the strap attaches to are inside the grip and not removable without removing the grip. So I didn't have straps from day 1, and now I no longer have any way to put them back on either. It's great. It may be possible to buy the version of LT4 grips that is designed for strap use and then retrofit that mechanism if you want a strap.

Generally speaking, the Locus Gear grips are good for people with small hands and who don't palm the top. The LT4 grips are good for people with regular sized hands.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

So these Locus Gear poles… at their web site I can't see how the straps attach. Do they attach to the very top of the grip (the top that would be against your palm if you 'palm' it)?

Does anyone have a pic of the top of the Locus Gear poles showing the strap attachment?

thanks,

Bill D

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

the strap comes out the side near the top,not out of the top.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

"I just ordered a pair of the CP3 and a set of grips with the intent of swapping them out when they get here. I'll try to take some pics and post weights, etc. once I have them set up. Not sure how long they take to get from Japan to the east coast so it could be a couple of weeks."

I just got mine in. They took 2 business days to arrive from Japan from acceptance in Japan to my doorstep. I also have a set of GG grips waiting to be swapped. If you get to it before me, let me know if you had any trouble/have any advice.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Yeesh, now see that there is the Helinox Passport Twist Lock of DAC alloy with an extension sleeve and about 5 oz weight per pole. The models have been changing lately, but on the most current, there are no ridges on the extension sleeves.
    Also, one of the gear tests raises some doubts about strength and quality:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Trekking%20Poles/Poles/Big%20Agnes%20Causeway%20Helinox%20poles/Test%20Report%20by%20Carol%20Crooker/

This was an older model, of course, but the doubts remain, and I really like ridges on an extension sleeve – makes a world of difference for me anyway.

But will follow through on the promise to report results (on a separate thread if the GG poles are not involved). Fear the result will be up closer to 6 oz, though, about the same weight as the shorter Helinox Ridgeline, which appears to have ridges on the extension sleeve. Hmmmm, this is starting to look like a lower priority project.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools