Topic

Dream PCT shelter set up

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dream PCT shelter set up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I know there are many threads about favorite shelter systems…but despite innovation being supposedly dead, I'm not so sure….

Anyway, I'm stuck inside on a dreary day, drinking coffee and dreaming of the PCT next year, and wondering what the ideal PCT shelter system would be. My current go-to is a cuben duomid with a solo inner at about 22 oz. I'm finally starting to think about bivys (even tho I swore I could never go that route). I am still NOT a cowboy camper. Give me time, but wow I am not there yet.

So…

If you could take any shelter system at all for a PCT thru, money being no object, what would you take and why?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Hexamid with screen and extended beak, .. since it is light and I remember some nights in the Sierras, some sort of biting insects drew blood on my unsuspecting legs. That or a Tarptent Moment/Notch.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I just made a new cuben shelter that is loosely a solomid with the net inner. That is exactly what I would take on MOST of the PCT. I would actually start with the "solomid" with a bivy. Why? The bug inner isn't needed as much in SoCal and a bivy alone is IMHO the best for the windy and cold conditions of that area. (I use a quilt.) I actually didn't set up my tarp for the first time until mile 1000, I used the bivy exclusively to the point. I believe after SoCal the inner is better than a bivy since there will be a few nights that it wouldn't get cold and the bivy becomes a sauna. Also, I would likely use the inner alone most nights, not because of mosquitoes, more due to ants. I found ants more problematic than mossies.

If I wasn't going to do both bivy and inner then I would follow your approach.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I am hoping that the hexamid twin will be my perfect two person shelter for the PCT. That is what I plan to take cause that is what I have. I have been considering starting with just a flat tarp or cat tarp and picking the Hex up for the Sierra's and beyond.

TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

Used hexamid duo and it was super light. The trouble was it was about 4+ minutes to set up well so I was too tired to bother often. And i found myself getting cold late in night often. I know it sounds a little weak but I'm going to do at least 8 weeks on pct next yr (work is hard w this)… and I'm going to get a light Big Agnes tri pole setup for one I think (90 seconds and its perfect). Just so easy to set up that I'll accept the 4 oz difference once all stakes and poles are figured in (I only use one hiking pole so I needed the small rear zpacks pole for duo — you can see what I mean on their site).

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am planning on doing the PCT next year, and my setup is similar to what you've mentioned. I currently have a cuben Duomid and a cuben Cricket that I use in conjunction with a Superlight Bivy. I don't plan on buying another shelter for the PCT, but go back and forth on which I actually want to take. It seems that most people rarely use tarps on the PCT, like a handful of times throughout their hikes. I'm comfortable with cowboy camping though, or just using the bivy. I'll most likely just take the Cricket for the weight savings alone, since I don't really expect to use it much. And if I change my mind, I'll just swap them out.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

If we are dreaming,

A tarp tent notch, 4-6 inches longer, in Cuban.

To me its almost the perfect tent layout, for ease of set up, and livability.

Being tall it is a little bit short when using a tall inflatable.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Six Moon Designs Skyscape X

15 oz. 0.74 Cuben fiber with floor, full bug protection, and lightening-fast set-up

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/ssX.html

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I haven't used one, just check out someone elses, but I agree that the Skyscape X seems like as closest thing to a perfect PCT shelter I have seen. Protective enough for washington when you hit the rain. Enough ventilation with insect protection for california, with easy setup.

I have used the hexamid with netting for numerous sections of the PCT. It's pretty great, but there are times I would have liked more wind protection, and times I would have loved for my roof to be just netting.

–Mark

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I have a Refuge X and I think it is a great tent. However, I have a niece who is just about done with the PCT and what Thaddaeus said is probably more common. Basically, after setting up camp day after day, what you want is something so easy that you can do it in your sleep. I love my Refuge X, but like most non-free standing tents, it requires some work and fiddling to get right. I personally don't like the fact that I have to get into the tent to attach the poles, but a lot of people don't mind.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools