Topic

GG Kumo Vs MLD Burn

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG Kumo Vs MLD Burn

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Overshot
    BPL Member

@overshot03

Locale: North East

Just up for a new pack after my old Breeze has about had it. Looking for something that can handle 3-4 days food, with a 6-9 pound base weight. This will be mountainous 3 season use. Both these packs seem strikingly similar. Has anyone had, or seen both that can comment on them? I assume that you cant really go wrong either way. Any comments appreciated!

Thanks!

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

My vote would be for the burn. I have one and love it. I like the dyneema x and padded hip belt over the 210 gridstop and webbing belt of the Kumo. I think the mesh is a bit more durable on the burn over the Kumo, too. Plus you could ask Ron to custom make the burn how you want, I don't think GG offers the option to customize. Plus wait times are going down for MLD.

-James

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Just want to comment on the materials. I have neither, and don't think one can fairly "vote" on the only one they have, unless they've had both.

The "dyneema blah blah, grid this that" materials both packs use are *very* similar, likely milled at the same plant. Yes the burn uses a heavier fabric. All of these materials of similar make I've worked with have tendencies to fail first at the coating and then later in the weave. Honestly, I've been curious for a while why neither of these companies have embraced the superior laminates offered by Dimension Polyant. Or the cuben hybrid HMG uses.

As far as the mesh however, the GG "power stretch" type mesh is *extremely* durable in my experience(used a gorilla for a couple years, and made a number of packs and accessories using the same mesh personally), and the best stretch type mesh I've ever used. It's a strangely tight knit with good abrasion resistance, snag resistance, stretch, and body. I personally like it much better than the stuff MLD uses, which offers no stretch, and I've found snag prone, but I'm not trying to disparage their quality or workmanship in anyway, which is admittedly, excellent.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, if you're trying to make an argument for durability or material quality on either of these packs, it is, in my opinion, a superficial one.

The hip belt argument may be a valid one, based on personal preference. Personally, in SUL loads that these packs are designed for, I don't like or use a hip belt personally. I'd rather cut a webbing one off, and the Burn's belt is *barely* more than webbing. On the flip side, I prefer the burn's full mesh back and side pockets, which offer more *real* storage. The GG pack sacrifices function in favor of form in those areas IMHO.

Would be curious to hear some first hand experience from anybody that's had both and favors one over the other for other reasons than individual "fit" type reasons, that is, if any such person exists. ;)

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

+1 what javan said about the mesh based on experience with the GG gorilla and MLD burn. Burn mesh got holes after not using it that long, Gorilla, no holes for a long time, until I started using it as my makeshift ice climbing pack.

I don't have a kumo, but a few observations from my experience with the burn and GG gorilla (same backpanel, similar wide straps). The narrow profile of the burn fits nicely between the shoulder blades which gives you fuller freedom of motion in the arms and waist (so long as the belt is not cinched tight). Its surprising what a difference an inch or two makes in width especially when it comes to bushwacking or scrambling that demands more dynamic full body movement. Getting a good fit though has everything to do with how you pack it, since its completely frameless. I don't like the belt on the burn, since it basically paralyses your hips, the way its attached to the sides of the pack. MLD build quality is impeccable.

The sit light pad in the GG packs makes for a nice cushy, yet supportive backpanel. How you pack matters, but less. The ccf also sort of conforms and sticks to your back better than a normal frameless. That, in combination with wider shoulder straps makes for a solid feeling ride. The wider shoulder straps are nice too for distributing the load evenly when not using a thick belt. If I could have a small pack for off trail and scrambling trips, it would be the burn. And the kumo looks like a good pack for long miles on trail and fastpacking. Sorry, this is not coming from direct experience with the kumo, but rather the similar design features across the GG range. Honestly, if you're deciding between the two, I think its well worth it to buy them both and try them on to compare, and send back the one you like less. Depending on shipping cost, it should only set you back an extra $10 or $15 for something you will presumably use for a long time.

But the small pack I really want to know about the is the zpacks arc slim. That suspension looks genius.

Overshot
    BPL Member

@overshot03

Locale: North East

Thanks all for the comments. What I take away from this is both are great pack, and very durable for what they are designed for.

Do any other packs if this caliber and size come to mind?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I don't own it but you may want to check out the ULA CDT to see if that would work for you. I have their Ohm 2.0 but the Burn will probably be my next purchase.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools