Topic

Ozark Trail suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Ozark Trail suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I'm meeting some peeps in Missouri for a 3-day hike on the Ozark trail on the second weekend of November. We would be able to do shuttles for a point-to-point hike, or a loop, either one. With the group that is going I'd say 20-30 miles is about the most they could do…

Any suggestions for a good spot to go?? I'm driving up from Texas, they are driving down from Chicago.

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

There are quite a few shuttle hikes you could do that end in Johnson Shut-ins state park. That's probably the prettiest part of the Ozarks in Missouri. I would suggest maybe hiking in from Highway 21 up over Mt. Taum Sauk or from the Bell Mountain trailhead. There is a Google Earth plot from the OTA that may help you: http://www.ozarktrail.com/planner/overviewmap.php

Jessica Petot
    Spectator

@jessid87

You might check out the Berryman Trail near Potosi, MO. About a 25 mile loop or so, with about 11 miles shared with the Courtois Section of the Ozark Trail. It's used quite a bit my mountain bikers and equestrians. Here's a decent map of the trail: http://www.ozarktrail.com/maps/detailed/Courtois3mile22to33.jpg and a good write up: http://gorctrails.com/trails/berryman with recent trail condtions.

Sara C
    BPL Member

@saracr

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas

I think the Taum Sauk, Current River, and Eleven Point sections are the most scenic. There are not a lot of loop options for that distance. The Berryman loop is probably the only one, but I would rank that below the ones I mentioned. I'm not sure if hiking is allowed in the National Park part of the Current River section right now, although I did read somewhere that the trail is open. Finding a shuttle might not be that easy. I've used Richard's Canoe Rental for the Eleven Point. The Ozark Trail website has a trip planner and a forum that might be helpful for more specific info about whatever area you decide to hike.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Jennifer…I agree that the Taum Sauk section between 21 and A is an awfully nice section.

It is around 33 miles. Easily done in 3 days. If things go well, you can also loop to the top of Bell Mountain, with really nice views to the east. This is just 2 miles before the Hwy A TH.

The hike will take in Mina Sauk Falls, Taum Sauk highpoint, Johnson Shut-Ins (and The Scours). It crosses several of the area "mountains" and there are some very nice rock glade areas to camp in, or streamside campsites if that's preferable…water is plentiful, including a couple springs.

Hopefully, I'll be getting back to the OT shortly, our next section is 32/DD to say, maybe, P or 106…

-Mark in St. Louis

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Like a couple others have mentioned, the Taum Sauk section from Hwy A to Hwy 21 is the most scenic and rugged. Mark mentioned most of the points of interest.

Another favorite section of mine is the Current River section Starting at Powder Mill and ending at Hwy 60 would be right at 30 miles. You get to hike along the Current River (a National Scenic Riverway), through the Rocky Creek shut-ins and Klepzig Mill, right by Rocky Falls, over Stegall Mt (one of the best vistas in Missouri), and through Peck Ranch (where the DNR is reintroducing elk to Missouri). There is also a group of wild horses in the area so there's a chance to see them too. Water is more plentiful than on the Taum Sauk section. The biggest difficulty will be crossing Pike Creek, its thigh deep and mucky on the bottom but not fast moving. Also, check before you go that the trail through Peck Ranch is open. They close it periodically when they're doing studies or introducing new elk.

One last item of note is that if you come during deer season be sure to bring blaze orange. The OT is on a lot of public land and some areas are very popular with hunters (like Peck Ranch). At minimum I'd stick a blaze orange vest over my pack and wear a blaze orange hat. Most hunters are careful but its better to be safe than sorry. Edit: The second weekend of November is during archery season, firearms season doesn't open until the following weekend (Nov 16th), so you should be fine.

Adam

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

For the Ozark Trail – particularly this A to Hwy 21 section, which is the better direction – NOBO or SOBO???

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I'd probably start at Hwy 21. I guess it depends on how you like your hills. Going Hwy 21 to Hwy A I think the hills are a little longer, coming from Hwy A there are a couple of steeper hills. Either way, the hills aren't that big so its not going to be dramatically different one way or the other.

If you want to do the whole Ozark Trail, the southern sections are definitely more rugged. I'd go NOBO to get them out of the way first. As you head north the hills get smaller and the trail gets newer and better maintained.

Adam

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools