Topic

Sleep comfort: Neoair Alternative?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleep comfort: Neoair Alternative?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

I'm also a big +1 for the Exped UL series. I have a Synmat UL7 for three season use and will be picking up a Downmat UL7 for winter. Yes, its a few ounces more than the Neoair series, but totally worth it in terms of comfort IMO. I also prefer the vertical baffles with wider side tubes, not to mention you get an extra inch on the long/wide version at 26". I feel like the horizontal baffles actually reduce the "usable" space for me as I'm constantly rolling off it when I shift in the night. And the noise is also an obvious downside to TA as well.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've tried both. The Synmat UL7 is better than the Neoair for me. It has to do with vertical vs. horizontal baffles; the synmat cradles you like a babe.
    I also don't care for the crinkly feeling of the Neoair.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I've tried both. The Synmat UL7 is better than the Neoair for me. It has to do with vertical vs. horizontal baffles; the synmat cradles you like a babe.
    I also don't care for the crinkly feeling of the Neoair."

+1

I used one on my last trip and it was 8 nights of bliss. A huge improvement over the NeoAir for a small weight penalty.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Here's another vote for the Exped Synmat UL7. I've had mine for 3 hiking seasons, no leaks, great 3-season warmth and comfort. I too tried the Neo and returned it for the Synmat. Bonus score for the Synmat is the ' Snozzle '. It makes filling the pad a breeze, doubles as a sleeping bag stuff sack, and keeps moisture out from using your lungs to fill your pad.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

What about the Exped options? Anybody find these comfortable but not the Neoairs?

Javan, that was my experience. I wrote about it a couple of years ago on my blog. I think the difference is the vertical vs. horizontal baffles.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

FWIW I just got in a Synmat UL 7 and a Downmat UL 7 from Richard R. (thanks again Richard), and I can already tell these are going to be better.

They have a *real* 25" of usable space when inflated and the vertical baffles are more comfortable for me. I am concerned with whether my hips are going to get cold side sleeping with the Synmat slightly deflated for ideal comfort, when laying I can tell my hip bone is very close to the ground, but I think it will be fine.

I have to wonder though, how much weight it would add to make these pads an inch thicker. The added material would be pretty marginal, I'm guessing no more than 2 more ounces, and it could definitely add flexibility in inflation levels and subsequently more comfort range.

Now if only these companies would consider that, and start making RegWide models.

Anyway, first impressions of the Exped products is very good, and worth the few extra ounces.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Javan,
    I too am totally perplexed by the lack of regular-length, wide pads on the market. It's not as if there is a technological leap necessary to make one. I mean factories wouldn't even have to retool their production lines! It's just so maddening that nobody has even taken a crack at it.

I think this is one of those things where Thermarest will eventually make a Regular/Wide NeoAir, the first production run will quickly sell out, and then every other company will join the bandwagon… and years later everyone will wonder why in the world a regular/wide size wasn't always offered.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Maybe we need to send a petition to Exped and Cascade Designs.

David Ure

@familyguy

Javan, the UL 9 version of the Synmat is 3.5" thick with an R value of 6 and weight of 21 oz.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 Who decided that we only need 20"

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

Consumers apparently have voted with their dollars. Medium/wide pads just do not sell very well. Exped does make the Synmat 7 in a medium wide. REI stocks them. I thought that Exped also did one of the Downmats in meduim/wide but even the Exped website only lists the Synmat 7 as being available in med/wide.

Jim

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Exped has a terrible marketing/advertising departments. They make all kinds of stuff nobody has heard of.

I certainly don't consider a 6' pad a medium.

SynMat 7 S
    Size 163 x 52 x 7 cm/64 x 20 x 2.8"
    Weight 765 g/27 oz
    Packed 23 x 14 cm/
    Temperature -17ºC
    R-Value 4.9
    Fill Weight 160 g/m² Texpedloft Mikrofaser

SynMat 7 M
    Size 183 x 52 x 7 cm/72 x 20 x 2.8"
    Weight 835 g/29.5 oz
    Packed 21 x 15 cm/8 x 6"
    Temperature -17º C
    R-Value 4.9

SynMat 7 MW
    Size: 183 x 65 cm/72 x 26"
    Weight 1010 g/35.6 oz
    Packed 27 x 14 cm/10.6 x 5.5"
    Temperature
    R-Value, Fill Weight same as above

SynMat 7 LW
    Size 197 x 65 x 7 cm/77.5 x 26 x 2.8
    Weight 1090 g/38.4 oz
    Packed 27 x 15 cm/11 x 6"
    Temperature -17º C
    R-Value 4.9

SynMat 9 LW
    Size 197 x 65 x 9 cm/77.5 x 26 x 3.5"
    Weight 1155 g/40.7 oz
    Packed 27 x 16 cm/11 x 6.3"
    Temperature -25º C
    R-Value 6.0
    Fill Weight 200 g/m² Texpedloft Mikrofaser

Donald Browning
    BPL Member

@docdb

Locale: SE USA

Thinking outside the box…..I've gotten so used to hammock sleeping this summer, that I'm concerned about going to ground on ANY pad.
    Don

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I'd never do it if possible, but hammocking doesn't go well with "family" trips.

Even if I just take one of my dogs, I don't feel comfortable leaving either of them on the ground below me and neither of them would be happy with that.

It's easy to take for granted down here in the Appalachians also, that there are tons of places around the world that hanging just isn't an option, so you pretty much have to plan to be on the ground unless you know for certain that you'll have places to setup a hammock.

So yeah, it's not ideal, but it's practically inevitable for me that I'll spend half my trips on the ground, thus this quest.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Jim,
    I'm interested to hear the the evidence for your statement: "Consumers apparently have voted with their dollars. Medium/wide pads just do not sell very well."

I have certainly never seen a medium/wide pad on the market aside from the Synmat 7 that you mentioned… And I suspect the reason for that thing not selling well (if in fact it doesn't) is because it weighs 35.6oz!

I estimate that a 72" x 26" NeoAir Xlite would weigh 15.6oz. I don't know about you, but that sounds like an interesting pad to me.

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Surprised the NeoAir Trekker Large Torso hasn't come up in this thread or get more gear forum love in general. Great pad – and about the only short/wide one commercially available as far as I know.

-Much cheaper than the yellow NeoAirs ($99 vs $160-$180)
    -Tougher fabric than yellow NeoAirs
    -Not nearly as slick and slippery
    -Nice and wide (25")
    -No crunchy crinkle of the yellow NeoAirs
    -No need to cut and seal – it comes this size (47")
    -Only 14 ounces w/o sack & repair kit – not quite as light as a comparable yellow NeoAir, but not bad at all!

Cutting down a L NeoAir would give you a similar pad that would be a tad lighter (12 oz??), but at considerably more expense, the hassle of cutting, and you still end up with the slippery crinkly pad. I can find 100 other places to shave 2 ounces if it's that big of a deal.

Great for this big guy side sleeper. My experience is that pillow height is a major factor for side sleeper comfort. Might want to play around with different pillow options as well – some of these pads might work for you with the right setup.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

I sleep better on verticle baffles..

As I got older I started sleeping cold on a Big Agnes insulated mat. I switched to the EXPED UL Synmat 7. When its really cold I use a Stephensons Warmlite DAM. They have 4 sizes..I use size 60.

this down filled pad is 70" long & 24" wide at the shoulders..over 4" thick.

it weighs 22 ounces including the pump sack

I have slept comfortably to 6 degrees without a problem

Cost $155

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I have slept on many of the state of the market pads and consider my Exped UL7 Downmat the cadillac of them all for the reasons others have given. The Neoairs aren't as firm, warm or comfortable. There Exped weighs a little more and costs more, but worth it in any season for me.

Nuff said!

Derrick

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools