Topic

Gram Weinie Stove Heineken Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Gram Weinie Stove Heineken Pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I used my benchtop spot welder to weld some stainless steel wire into a potstand to be used in conjunction with a Heineken Pot. I boiled two cups of water in 12 min. 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol. The burner is made of two anodised aluminum tins purchased at local asian food store. Tins are pressed together to form open flame style burner. Fuel absorbing material used inside to control vaporization rate of fuel. That material was aquired from a friend of a friend that works at the Origo factory in Sweden. Origo makes alcohol stoves for marine applications.

Burner weighs 3.5 grams

Potstand weighs 3.0 grams
    potstand
    heiny on stand

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Zelph, I like that stand better than mine.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Lovely. I assume, Dan, that the stand "travels" inside the Heinie pot for storage?

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Flame distribution looks good. What is the height of the stand?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've seen the stove but haven't been able to locate the instructions to build it. Is is possible you could post them or provide a link to the directions. Thanks! Great set-up.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Steve: Your stove looks pretty stable. Did you get the 1 inch high, low profile one in the mail? How do I go about embedding a link into a word like you did with the word MINE

Kevin: Yes, it fits inside real easy. Could be stretched out flat also and then reshaped.

Michael: The potstand is 1 1/2 inches high. It used to be 2 inches high.

John: Take a look at this thread to see the stove from the very begginig. It'll give some ideas how I made the original: It's called the TwiLyte stove. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21962

Steve .

@pappekak

Dan, yes I did get receive it. Thanks for the quick shipment. Will give you feedback once I try it out and the the tealight in the field.

For links I use tinyurl.com to get a shortened url. I often have problems with BPL throwing away longer urls hence tinyurl.com

Then typed the following HTML

<a href="http://tinyurl.com/yr47bo">mine</a&gt;

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Nice job as always Zelph! Would you say it's just as stable as a typical hardware-cloth stand?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Steve: Thank You for the posting info. I'm learning as I go. I know very little about computers. I'm trying to learn HTML as of yesterday. Not enough time in the day. My daughter wants to help me do a web site, not enough time in a day.

Jason: I'd say it's as stable as hardware cloth if the harware cloth is formed into the same configurationas what you see in the photo. Stable being able to support the pot containing 2 cups of water in a steady fashion. 1/2 inch hardware cloth would certainly be stronger than the stainless steel one in terms of compression. 2 cups of water is what we want to support. This potstand works just fine for 2 cups of water. This is a gram weinie setup, 6.5 grams for a stove. The burner will absorb 1/2 ounce of fuel and will not spill out if accidentally tipped over. Because it is designed having wick material on the surface of the burner will make it easy to light in freezing weather conditions.

Steve Galchutt

@s2ranchgmail-com

Locale: Eastern slope of CO Rockies

Bench spot welder? Sounds like a handy tool! Does welding stainless steel require a different setup from generic steel welding?

Nice work Dan!

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Steve: It's the same setup. I've welded .003 stainless sheet with it, works nice. I purchased the welder at Harbor Freight Tools. Got it just to work with stainless to make stoves. Aluminum pot stands just don't hold up to the high heat generated by flames passing around the support columns. Hot dipped galvanized hardware cloth gets crusty and dog-eared looking after continued use. Electroplated zinc hardware cloth begins to rust within a short length of time. Stainless steel is nice!!!

Here is a photo ofmine purchased at a local store.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Dan, have you considered making up a few of these stands for sale to BPL members?
    Just asking. I'd be interested.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Kevin: I had not considered it prior to posting this thread. After reading your post I did ponder the thought for a moment. I said hey!!! what the heck, why not, Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained. Yes I'll make some up for BPL members after I have put the welded joints through some quality control tests to make sure they hold up well enough before making them available. I'll let everyone know the results of my testing as soon as I can.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Cool, Dan! We await the results of the quality control tests. :-)

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I might be in for a pot stand. I keep telling myself to go to Lowe's and make my own but alas I'm far too lazy.
    Any idea how well it works with a Fosters can? I suppose I could make a sacrifice and pick up a Heiny can but I'd have to find someone to drink it (can't stand beer).
    I'm with Kevin, can't wait to see the test results. A video of any catastrophic failures would be greatly appreciated!

Adam

Steve .

@pappekak

Adam, go to Jerry Baker's website and use the beer to make one of his tonics for your lawn/garden. They work well if you use them regularly as suggested. Slugs also will go for Heineken (they have poor taste in beer).

Me? I just drink it down and think about the great time I had in Amsterdam during the Queen's Day street party :)

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Dam-n, I wish some of the Micro-brewers would can some of their bounty. Ditto beer for slug control—it works with our voracious PNW specimans.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Unfortunately I live in an apartment. Even though my parents own them I still don't have much need for garden/lawn bug control. Ironically, my dad is also in the landscaping/lawn maintenance business.
    Maybe I'll just suck it up and drink it. I've got a 6 pack of Bud Select in my fridge that no one will drink too. (Was 'forced' upon me at the last day of trail work I went to. One of the guys worked for A-B and had a bunch of extra that he shared and what kind of college student passes up free alcohol?)

Adam

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Adam, just bring that unwanted 6 pack to the next BYOB party you go to and abandon it. :-)>

Steve .

@pappekak

I hid some Harley Beer in a kitchen cabinet once during a "Tacky Party."

Or you could give it to a homeless person. I'm sure they could use a beer or six.

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Dan, nicely done, I'll bet an esbit would work well too. My Pay Pal is ready!
    Paul

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I was a bit rough on the little guy!!!

Broke a couple of welds by twisting and turning the joints.

I'll cranck it up a notch on the voltage and let her rip. I'll be back tomorrow…………

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Powers up, melted them joints super good. All is well. I'll show you a couple of photos of what it looks like after being welded and one that shows the excess material removed. The support shown is 8 inches in length. Thats 2 inches longer than the one I used under the heineken pot. I can make them avaiable longer and you can cut them down to 6 inces or just leave it at the 6 inch length.

As far as the cost goes, let me ask you to email me with a dollar amount that you think is a fair price. As soon as your numbers are in I will calculate the average amount and will then make them available to all that wants one at that averaged dollar amount.

potstand
    potstand

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

You shouldn't ask a cheap-skate such as myself to send you a 'fair' offer. I will either way low ball you or feel bad and way over-compensate. I think I'll leave the price setting to others. I'll just pay whatever they come up with assuming I find it 'reasonable.'

Adam

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Come on Adam, Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained. You're not a cheap-skate, nor would you low ball me. Come on!!!! send it to me in an email, nobody will see it. I need your imput. I've been encouraged!!!(i encourage gear modders such as Zelph and Yukio to get entrepreneurial on us.) :)

As of today I'll be known as Dan Alphabeta because of the current concern of last names being visible.. When I was in the service, basic training, the platoon sgt. could'nt remember how to pronounce my name so he called me "alphabet" because of the amount of letters in my name. It was funny!!! and embarrasing, when marching in formation I would mess-up on the commands and he would yell out: "Alphabet" you mess up one more time and I'm goin to kick your butt all the way back to the barracks. The whole platoon would l a u g h and l a u g h. So everytime you see my new name you can laugh :) Thats just between you an me Adam.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools