Topic

Snow Peak Ti Trek 700 Mug + JetBoil PCS Lid – weight?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Snow Peak Ti Trek 700 Mug + JetBoil PCS Lid – weight?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I'm considering purchasing the SP Trek 700 mug but it seems heavy at 4.8 oz. Then I read it has a stainless steel lid, and that people replace it with a lightweight JetBoil PCS lid. Anyone who has done this…what's the total weight, please?

Tom Keefe
    BPL Member

@keth0601

I'm pretty sure the lid is titanium. Mine seems to be anyways (tested it with a magnet, it's not stainless for sure), but they certainly are heavier than they need to be. Why not just use some heavy foil? That's what I've done in the past.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Could be, but difficult to diagnose with a magnet, as austenitic stainless steel are frequently not magnetic. What's your Trek 700 weigh with a foil lid? I've only been able to find the "total package" weight with lid.

(EDIT: Interesting,
    http://www.snowpeak.com/accessories/http-www-snowpeak-com-accessories-parts-html/trek-700-titanium-lid.html
    …says it's made of 1 oz of Ti. Perhaps you are correct, and dozens of commenters are wrong!)

EDIT EDIT:
    "Entire set is made out of pure Grade A Titanium; made in Japan." – See more at: http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/backpacking/trek-700-titanium-scs-005t.html#sthash.Hj7t56SL.dpuf

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Why not just use some heavy foil? [for a lid]"

I have trouble finding small amounts of heavy duty foil in the thickness I need. It seems like titanium foil is only available in 0.005" thickness.

I have pressed together three layers of heavy duty aluminum foil before. That works, and it is still bendable for storage.

Carbon fiber sheet works as a lid.

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have one of those pots, never used it.
    The lid is rather thick and heavy butit is listed by Snow Peak as TT at 1 oz.
    Mine is about 35g compared to the 5g of a similar sized CF lid (Ruta Locura)

Tom Keefe
    BPL Member

@keth0601

Not sure how the price compares, but I've been considering getting one of the lids from minibulldesign for mine. 16 grams and it has a decent knob to grab on to. $10

https://www.minibulldesign.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=127&idcategory=10

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

133g or 4.70 ounces on my scale for pot and lid. That includes some silicone tubing on the handles. The nice thing about this combination is that the JB lid is a tight, secure fit that will stay on in the pack without an additional stuff sack or strap. It also has the coffee sipper.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Thank you Mark.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Pot 3.2 oz or 93g, jet boil lid 35g, foil lid made out of an oven liner sheet or pie pan 4g measures .003" thick cut 1" bigger than dia. of pot folded over and secured with rubber band when traveling. Rubber band weight does not show on my scale less than 1g. This lid is tough enough to use in pack. The original lid sucks no matter what its made out of and I couldn't find it to weigh it. Pot with foil lid and rubber band 3.4 oz or 97g. Note that the jet boil coffee press works with this pot and jet boil lid

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Titanium foil? That's a thing?

Where do you buy it? What's it good for?

Tom Keefe
    BPL Member

@keth0601

To me putting a plastic/cf lid on my ti mug would be cancelling out the very purpose for which I moved to ti as opposed to aluminum in the first place- the ability to cook right in/on a wood fire and leave the stove and fuel at home.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Hey, regarding the composition of the lid. I asked Snow Peak and got this prompt and friendly reply from SP's CS:

"…The lid is indeed titanium…people think the lid is stainless because of its weight. Originally the lid was thinner titanium but it had a tendency to pop off while water was boiling so they thickened the material to keep it in place."

Tom, you were right! Apologies for doubting you and your magnet.

Seems an odd fix for an insignificant problem, and I'd argue that heavier metal isn't the appropriate engineering fix.

Tom Keefe
    BPL Member

@keth0601

I would agree. I guess I didn't care either way if it was titanium or not. Too heavy is too heavy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools