Topic

Light and Fast on Vermont’s Long Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Light and Fast on Vermont’s Long Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Light and Fast on Vermont’s Long Trail

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Looking at those pictures, just how much weight did you lose in those ten days?

Shawn Bearden
    BPL Member

@shawnb

Locale: SE Idaho

Congratulations on your accomplishment! Thank you for the thoughtful and passionate write-up.

Scott Morris
    Spectator

@morriss002

Hey Dean,

I designed a menu that was seven meals / ~4000 calories a day of dry (meaning I didn't have to cook it or carry a stove) food which left me pretty well-off. A lot of my food choices were based off the work of professional hiker Andrew Skurka. His website (http://andrewskurka.com/) has a lot of good info on nutrition for endeavors like this. I'm not sure what my weight was before and after, but I didn't really lose any weight – no matter how gaunt my mind and heels felt. Thanks for reading.

-Scott Morris

Eli
    BPL Member

@patchessobo

Locale: Canyon Country

So fastpacking cures the breakup blues?

Nice article, glad you ultimately succeeded.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

You're an excellent writer. I wish I was capable of the same. Congratulations on your successful hike. I had a 9 1/2 day 248 mile hike last year….wonderful, yet tiring.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I really enjoyed your write-up- goes to show that pictures aren't needed when the text is so descriptive. You managed to capture well the rollercoaster emotions of a good fastback. I would love to hear more though about how you related to other aspects of the trail, scenery, and trail life.

Vadim Fedorovsky

@socrates

Really enjoyed reading your piece. Thank you and congratulations!

I have two questions for you as I am planning an extremely similar, unsupported hike of the Long Trail for June of 2014.

1. What pack did you use? I am primarily concerned with this since my usual pack (golite Jam) isn't going to cut it for the amount of weight I'll be carrying.

2. I noticed you had no issues with black flies. Is that true? I'm pretty surprised since I thought they would be at their worst around this time.

thanks again!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools