Topic

Finnish Thousand Meters Round

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Finnish Thousand Meters Round

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Finnish Thousand Meters Round

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Thanks Harri for a very interesting article on an area I have visited more than once, though mostly at the lower levels. I can well relate to the weather being rather damp having spent last summer further west in wet conditions, as it was the year before along the Nordkalotteleden. The entire area provides an ideal walking environment for all levels of experience and one I intend to return to regularly, even with the mosquitos in summer. Given your extensive experience in the area and the recent discussions on footwear and talus here at BPL I wondered what footwear you have been using on your 3 trips and what would you use in the future? Thanks for providing inspiration for my next summer tour to Lapland.

John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

The article states that the route is 170 km (166 miles). 170km is 105.633 miles.

Mark Roberts
    BPL Member

@redwedge

Locale: Lapland

Great route and one I've not seen (or heard of) before. It's also nice that you avoid the Halti Highway for most of the route. Definitely on the cards for next year.

Also, it's excellent that you gave all the correct information about Halti/Ridnitsohkka ;)

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Thanks for your article about a very awe inspiring landscape Harri! I can't imagine walking all day across all those immense rubble fields; it certainly must have been exhausting. I noticed in one photo that you appear to be wearing sturdy leather boots, which I'm sure helped quite a bit. Happy trails!

Niels Beeren
    BPL Member

@nibe

Locale: In the Dutch Mountains

Nice write up Harri!

It's always nice to read some more European content on BPL.

Thanks!

Harri Saarnisaari
    BPL Member

@hsaarnisaari

Roger B:
    We first used water shoes by Salomon, tech amphibians, but they do not last long. The net rips in the rocks.
    Then we changed to trail running shoes like Talon 212. They are fine and I will continue using them.
    It is true that your feet may become tired and little painful in long talus fields toward the end of the hike especially with heavy load (what I had when the son was younger).
    This year one person in the area with us had mid angle light hiking boots and also they seemed to dry quite fast after crossing bogs and rivers, though we had crocks/sandals with us what we used in river crossing if boots were dry. They didn’t go wet so easily in low vegetation.

Monty M:
    So, we didn’t use leather boots.

Jonh H: You are correct; it is 106 miles (typing error).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Harri

Amazing country – wild and beautiful. Thanks!

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools