Topic

Food acquisition, Personal protection, Bear defense, Heat source, Cooking, Welding, and minor excavations.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Food acquisition, Personal protection, Bear defense, Heat source, Cooking, Welding, and minor excavations.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If you've noted the change in my profile photo. . . My 13-year-old and I were in a dinner-theater Star Trek spoof as a fundraiser for the local science center. It was my theatrical debut and was both trans-species and trans-gendered (a Klingon commander later revealed to be a British authoress). Drake played "Spork", the Vulcan science officer. I was also props master and tried my hand at 23rd century weapons.

The phasers are cut from solid blocks of wood with a jigsaw, table saw, router and belt sander. Hot glue provides some of the raised lines, and the beam focuser is the sink-top attachment for a spray hose. I won't detail the nadion generator, force chamber geometry, or the power source in a public forum like this, but you can find those details in any good reference on photon masers.

The Klingon disrupters were made from wood with the handle being the grip of a ski pole and the straight and curved aluminum wave-guide tubes coming from crutches (a cheap source of Al tubing found at any thrift store). Although they are less elegant weapons than phasers, I shouldn't release 23rd-century technology in 2013. That can corrupt the time line and create a lot of unintended consequences.Phasers and Disrupters

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

You have me scared. Thanks for using good judgement about sharing these.

By the way, I don't see a change in your photo…..yet.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Wow, they must have been THRILLED! I see many more hours of unpaid work ahead for you on the next play, and the next, and the next… ;~)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Son of Warf approves :-)

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Wow, I hit my refresh button and there you are in full mask. Very scary.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Valerie,

The director said she loved having engineers in the crew because of the cool props (probably not for the acting talent).

My last gig was inside a set piece with coolers of hot water and dry ice, making fog during a scene in Peter Pan.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

What a good dad!

William S
    BPL Member

@wsafley

Locale: Eastern NC

It seems that these are multi use in keeping with BPL philosophy, but the obligatory question – how much do they weigh? ;-)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Good job. It reminds me of the source for the Star Wars light sabers, which were relatively unaltered flashbulb holders from the old Graphic press cameras. They simply removed the reflector and added a ring to the bottom to carry it on a belt clip. Back in the 70's you could buy them for $5 at garage sales and flea markets. I knew a guy who picked up on that and sold them at conventions for $200 each. The fantasy knife and sword market is huge too.

Live long and prosper :)

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

They would make good firewood

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Those came out great! Next time I need props for my scenario paintball games I know who to call! ;^)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools