Topic

Winter Socks- VBL or WPB?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Winter Socks- VBL or WPB?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Ok, so I'm about geared and ready for winter bike touring, but keeping my feet warm is something I kind of rushed. I want to check what I'm using right now and see about a replacement if need be. I'm using Mavic Rush MTB cycling shoes, which have mesh over the toes, so basic wool socks get really cold from windchill if I'm coasting.

Right now:

I'm using Stephenson's Warmlite VBL Socks (http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier-clothing). I am going to be biking hard, so I'm definitely going to sweat. I am worried these will be bathtubs.

Potential Replacement:

I see Borah Gear makes WPB socks on the cheap. Will Gore-Tex or similar socks do the trick?

Would love someone to explain to me exactly how Stephensons Warmlites are expected to behave, but also open to any other suggestions.

Thanks!

-M

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

For winter cycling just wear warm overboots and you'll be fine.

VBLs are definitely not called for in this situation.

Even as a Nordic (XC) skier I only wore overboots on my uninsulated XC boots on very cold days. Like a cyclist whose feet are not on the ground my feet were standing on foam filled skis.

Anonymous
    Inactive

nm

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I wonder how those borah gear socks hold up compared to the rocky goretex socks?

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Can't find a Borah sock review anywhere.

At any rate, my feet do get prohibitively cold. Fact. Remember, I'm cycling for 8-12 hours a day.

Last winter I only biked less than 5 miles at a time, and when it was real cold, I wore boots. I've never toured in the winter. Also, i've yet to use the VBL socks and can't test yet (not cold).

Overboots are really heavy. It's like me asking for UL gaiters and you recommend "just get the full calf gore-tex cordura ones." Not trying to be snotty, I just want to clarify that i'd prefer an UL solution to overboots, but i'm sure they work.

Also, I've never skied, so the analogy isn't a guarantee for me. They could be apples and oranges, I just don't know.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Would love someone to explain to me exactly how Stephensons Warmlites are expected to behave"

According to Stephenson – once sensible sweat begins the skin will shut down the "sweat mechanism" and that equilibrium will be maintained.

Is that really how it works, or is that Stephenson's hype? I don't know.

But I do know that I have spent many days snowshoeing in liner-socks/bread-bags/thick-wool-socks/neoprene-socks/trail-runners and NOT poured water out of the bread bags. My feet are damp, but not "pruned".

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greg, do you ever combine Wool liners with thicker Polypro? If so, how do you like the combo?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Nope.

I'm a synthetic guy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, thought you might have tried it since you mentioned using "thick wool socks" earlier. I'm a synthetic or natural guy depending, and overall i find i like combos the most. Thank you for the reply.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Max, I've always had a problem with cold feet, and cycling just makes it worse. I think it's a combination of things. Tight cycling shoes cutting off circulation, and wind-chill on sweaty feet are the biggest culprits.

Run your shoes as loose as you can tolerate without excess slippage (don't want blisters), and get some windproof booties. I have some Quintana Roo TT booties that fit well over my Sidi Dominators. Combined with a thin wool blend sock and some wool knickers my lower body stays pretty warm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools