Topic

Weight of Nalgene “Ultralite” 1L (for Steripen folks)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Weight of Nalgene “Ultralite” 1L (for Steripen folks)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Since I am a happy Steripen user, I've been wanting a lighter 1 liter wide-mouth bottle …so I ordered one of the new "ultralites", and my kitchen scale says:

Ultralight Nalgene – 3.5 oz
    Regular Nalgene – 6.3 oz.

So, a bit of a weight savings…I'll take it! For some mysterious reason, I did not find the product weight on Nalgene's website, and REI

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area
    Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Thanks, Rafi — also a good alternative (I should have mentioned I was looking for a hard-sided bottle).

I think there is room for both types, depending on what you're looking for…

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Gatorade bottle? I found that my steripen worked if I filled the gatorate bottle to the very top, just enough so that the sensor would touch.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Do you have a link for a website that has the "Ultralite" Nalgenes? There are a bunch out there advertising them as ultralight but it's not clear if it's actually a different product than the standard Nalgenes.

I use a 16 oz Nalgene for treating water with a Steripen. I've been told that 16oz plastic Snapple bottles fit a Steripen Freedom and I've been keeping an eye out for them, but haven't run across one yet. The 16oz Gatorade ones don't, but the 32oz do.

EDIT: Are the "Ultralite" ones the old style bottles which are kind of milky / not transparent and are not rigid like the new clear bottles?

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Here you go:
    http://store.nalgene.com/category-s/33.htm

Yes, these are the original HDPE ones; specs page says 108.33g for the 32oz wide-mouth.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I've been using the HDPE Nalgene wide mouth (white) bottles for over 30 years… I would call them the standard issue though they are not stocked to any great extent… the pretty color ones that people have come to think of standard are about twice the weight… and I think the color bottles make the water taste more like plastic than the HDPE ones do… HDPE is what your plastic milk jugs are made of… probably safer too… as for holding odors, I've not noticed it… but then again, I don't flavor my water…

Bill D

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

I *swear* I posted a follow-up with the website and the acknowledgment that these were VERY similar to the old "milky" plastic ones, but now I don't see it in the thread… strange, but luckily, others have answered the questions, which is great! Thanks, guys!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The old style 32 oz widemouth nalgenes are the best backcountry water container ever invented.

The flexy nalgene canteens are simply a joke. Each one I've owned sprung a seam leak inside two months.

Gatorade bottles have a useful life of 3-4 months before they start to crack.

Platys delam in 6-12 months, and are useless in weather below freezing.

The principle of saving 2-4 oz on water bottles is a good one. The application is a poor one when it means investing in throwaway gear.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I've gone back to the old style Nalgenes — they work just as well as they did 30+ years ago. Work well with a Steripen, last forever, and the cap is hard to lose.

I can't stand any water container with a narrow mouth.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

The logos on the bottles have changed several times – whether that means the bottles have been updated and changed is unknown.

The 108.33 grams for the Nalgene hardbody translucent 32 oz = 3.82 oz.

My MyWeigh scale comes in at 3.85 oz for those bottles. About as close as you get when even a little moisture will alter the weight several hundredths of an oz.

For the same shaped and equipped hard bottle with solid color, the scale says 3.89 oz

For the same shaped bottle made from a more pliable translucent plastic with a cap and retainer from a hard bottle, the scale says 3.53 oz

By comparison, the Walmart shaded widemouth 26 oz (they say 28 oz but it is 26) with cap and retainer is 3.12 oz; and the Planter's widemouth nut bottle with cap but no retainer weighs 2.375 oz. Both these bottles have concave sides for easier gripping.

Decided on the pliable Nalgene at 3.53 oz because the Walmarts leak a little and two 26 oz bottles were coming up short for meals, and because I didn't want to fool around trying to design and make a cap retainer for the Planter's under an oz. But when there is time …

Have never been able to find around here any of the neat widemouth Gatorades posted here. What appears to be the product # for the pliable Nalgene bottle is 2591-0032, but you must replace the cap with a cap and retainer from a hard bottle.

Happy bottling!

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I agree with Dave. The ease of use and durability of a Nalgene trumps weight, for me.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

Original Nalgene bottlers are great, but not as good as the Hunersdorff water bottle (especially in winter.) The Hunersdorff is more pliable (easier to break up when iced inside) and the lid NEVER freezes to the bottle:

http://joealpinist.blogspot.com/2012/04/hunersdorff-water-bottles-pick-for-cold.html

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Jim… how much do they weigh?

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

The 1 liter bottle comes in at 135 grams (4.8 oz) in between the UL and 'standard' nalgene bottles. They also do a 1.5 liter that comes in at 174 grams (6.2 oz)

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I've added a 16oz Nalgene back to my kit. It makes it easy to drink straight from a river, I can use it for a hot drink at night, for my cereal, protein and powdered coconut milk breakfast drink and I can make an emergency hot water bottle if needed. I like water bladders, but as good as they are they will fail eventually.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

mmmm …. hawt nalgenes …

the HDPE can taste "plasticky" with hot water … some people notice it, some dont

either way a solid bottle is pretty useful in colder temps for various reasons

;)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The non-lexan nalgenes are absolutely worse than the lexan ones at retaining flavors. Drink mixes and an occasional cup of hot tea are fine, frequent use with coffee will eventually alter them, and use with scotch is right out.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

OMG, David — NEVER defile your scotch (or other serious libation) by putting it in HDPE! You're making me cry! ;~)

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Scotch should NEVER be put in plastic of ANY kind, EVER! :)

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

The only bottles I have ever had problems with were my first old white nalgenes they got brittle and broke all my lexans are good. I will take the weight savings of disposable bottles I've not had any problems even freezing them. I guess I must rotate them with new often enough.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Since I am a happy Steripen user, I've been wanting a lighter 1 liter wide-mouth bottle …so I ordered one of the new "ultralites"

"New" "Ultralight" :) I find that mildly amusing since Nalgene has been selling an HDPE 1L bottle for at least 30 years. Nothing new about them, and I wouldn't exactly call them ultralight. Advertising at it's finest.

What I've been doing with my Steri-Pen is to scoop water into a cut-down 2L Playtypus. it's free standing which is nice, light, and it folds up really small. After treatment, I pour the water into whatever container I like.

I concur that the Nalgene "Cantenes" don't last very well. I've had two spring a leak at the seam. I've stopped using them.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

For my use, nothing is better than standard soda bottle, but I use a Steripen Classic.

I don't know why the new Steripens don't use this design? The neck gasket makes it so much easier then the dip and stir method that the newer models require.

Soda bottle are cheap, light and the screw cap is much more reliable than the Gatorade style caps which break when dropped or start leaking after a month of use.

I beat the hell out of mine and have never had one fail. Can't say the same for other bottles I've tried.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools