Topic

Modified shorts into pants with Epic fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Modified shorts into pants with Epic fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I had a pair of nylon shorts hanging around barely used because i realized i much preferred linen over nylon for hot weather applications so i decided to turn them into pants for multiple reasons. I recently bought some "Super Roubaix" fabric based cycling tights, and want to experiment with turning them into Nikwax Analogy "pump liner" for pants. The material is mostly nylon so i'm hoping it will be a bit cooler than the traditional polyester based pump liners.

So i needed a good, very water resistant shell to go over the turned inside out Super Roubaix tights. Since i didn't have any suitable pants, i figured it would just be easier to sew some fabric onto my nylon shorts, as i've attempted making pants from scratch before and wasn't satisfied with the results (crotch was weird).

I decided to use Epic fabric because i wanted a truly durable DWR that i would only have to worry about refreshing by cleaning (and maybe very occasionally spraying with some silicone?). Rockywoods had some 3.8 oz per sq/yd microfiber nylon epic fabric for reasonable, so decided on that. It's a little heavy, but i wanted something that could hold up to bushwacking and would last a long time (i think silicone improves nylon's UV resistance too?).

The nylon shorts part, i will probably apply a good quality DWR too, but i'm less concerned with the shorts part because i can use a Rain kilt in combo with them if it's really raining hard.

I'm actually glad i didn't go with making the pants from scratch since i found the Epic fabric to not be that breathable. I did the suck test and couldn't pull any air through, so i'm assuming it's not particularly breathable. I definitely want the crotch area to breathe I like the combo of the regular nylon with the Epic fabric because of the multipurpose nature of it. If it's just a light drizzle, a DWR on the shorts should be sufficient while allowing it to breathe well where i need it. If i'm dealing with snow, i'm just going to need the serious water resistance more on the bottom half anyways. And again, if i'm experiencing hard core, cold rain i can just use a lightweight rain Kilt so the shorts won't get soaked. In the latter case, combining it with the super roubiax tights will provide plenty of insulation for most conditions where i backpack anyways.

Anyways, the mod short to pants weigh 10.7 oz, again a little heavy, but probably fairly durable, which for my purpose is important. If anyone wants to know how i sewed it, i can explain in another post. It's pretty easy.

shorts2EpicPants

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

rad combo for rainy aerobic activity. I have no idea what a "pump liner" is, but it sounds dangerous.

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

I have been meaning to try this:–

NB to work like Nikwax analogy the whole garment including your roubaix pseudo "pump liner" neededs DWRed (Nikwax Tx10ed)

please post your results.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Ozzy, check out Paramo WPB rain gear, they are the systems that use a "pump liner". Paramo WPB rain gear is truly very breathable (more than even Polartec Neoshell), but if you buy the fully made jackets and pants, they are very expensive, often fairly heavy, and often pretty warm.

Using a separated pump liner and a wind shirt or wind pant in combo potentially minimizes all the above and overall makes a more adaptable/flexible system.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Will do Alan. Yep, I know I need to treat it with a DWR.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools