Topic

cliamshield quilts – your experience

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) cliamshield quilts – your experience

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Would like to hear from any and all as to how your cliamshield quilt has performed. If you could state the weight of climashield in the quilt you bought or made, and what temperatures it has kept you warm in, that would be great. Thanks.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have a 2.1 oz apex quilt rated to 50f but find it chilly at 55f, I mainly have it for use as an overbag in winter.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I made a 2.5 for summer use on the AT. It worked well to 50+. I spent 2 nights Pretty cold and think that a something that was accurately rated to 40 would be nice.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

My Apex 2.5 with M90 i took into the 40s on the Long Trail with icebreaker 150 LS and smartwool sweater on.

i think down to actually 40 is pushing it with 2.5. i'd guess 5 would go there and lower

Shawn Donnelly

@canonshooter

Locale: Western Washington

I made one back around April out of 2.5 (I think) Climashield and Taffata. I made mine in the form of a long regular blanket. I just flip the extra length under my feet instead of sewing in a footbox. I have not yet added the shock cords to keep it snug around my pad and body. It is really crude.

I have used it many times over the past several months in all types of weather to include snow and the low 30's. I have used it on the beach and in my bivy bag as well. It works well considering I don't have any shock cord on it which would make a huge difference. I sleep in polypropaline so I stay pretty warm when I can keep it tucked in around the sides. My feet never get cold in it. It weighs a pound less then my sleeping bag and it stuffs a little better. As I recall it weighs about two pounds. It is a little heavier because it is so large. So far I think using a quilt is better option. I will probably make another in the next few months.

Jim Bowie
    Spectator

@bucs57

Locale: Southeast

Hi Paul,

I made a 5.0 quilt recently and just finished my first backyard test with it. Temps only got to mid 50's and I was very warm. Even had thoughts of venting. I have read that the 5.0 should get you well down into the 30's. We'll see. I am a cold sleeper, so hopefully it will at least get me down to upper 30's with warm clothing. I posted the quilt with pics on Hammock forums, below is specs and link to post. Hope this helps.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78215

Specs

66 x 54 tapered to 42" at footbox
    Weighs 22oz with stuff sack.
    Digital Camo 1.6oz outer shell
    Olive green 1.1oz for inner lining
    5.0 oz Apex Climashield
    Sewn in loops along long every 8"

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

2.5 oz on bottom (foot) half, 5 oz on top (head) half, 4 oz vest, bivy – warm at 30 F, uncomfortably cold at 20 F

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

So Jerry, the 2.5 comes up to around the waist and then the 5 oz starts? Is that the idea?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yes, 2.5 up to waist (maybe thighs)

my theory is that your torso is warmer than your legs, so insulation there is more effective

Chris Valery
    BPL Member

@fortran42

Locale: Western North Carolina

I've found 50deg for 2.5 apex is about it; you can add a 2nd layer of 2.5 over the Torso area as a "Torso Pad" which works geat w/o increasing quilt bulk&weight too much..That is what RayJardine suggested in his quilts.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I used my 2.5oz Apex MYOG quilt last weekend. It only got down to 55* but I was very comfortable in just shorts and a synthetic t-shirt. I was using it on a Thermarest Prolite Plus and inside a double wall tent.

I'll be taking it out again this weekend. The weather is forecast to get down to around 45*. I'll report back on how it works.

Adam

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools