Topic

StarLyte Burner for Simmering

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals StarLyte Burner for Simmering

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

thank you Delmar, make them nice or I wouldn't make them available to my friends :-)

1" from top of burner to bottom of pot.

I'm at a campground in ohio, last night I had a once in a lifetime experience. The area all around may campsite was was alive with glowing "glow worms" or some other luminescent crawling insect. I'll be back home in 2 days.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Just got mine a few days ago and I'm quite impressed on its efficiency. With my current cooking setup (prototype bottle/kettle) I've managed several 2 cup boils using 12 grams of 190 proof alcohol (Everclear). When used with SLX alcohol it only reached 200F with 14 grams. I've avoided burning high ethanol alcohol in the past due to carbon/soot deposits but this stoves burns extremely clean. Now I can go back to Everclear and have a multi-use fuel. :)

Boil tests: * 2 cups (473g water) at 39F
    * Heating rate (with 190proof) about 10-12 degrees (F) per minute
    * Boil time 15 to 17 minutes (500' above sea level)

My Simmerlyte holds 39 grams which should equal three cold water boils–enough for a short trip w/o carrying extra fuel. Nice work Dan!

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Steve, thanks for the feedback.

Test it at home first to see if you can get 3 boils out of it. You may find it hard to light when going for the 3rd boil, dunno, have not tried to do that.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

A couple of reviews have arrived on the SimmerLyte burner. One deals with the burner being used in a Caldera Cone. These are unsolicited.

I'm glad they are working well. Thank you for the reviews.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=82867&cat=Stoves%20-%20Alcohol&cid=18

Quote:

Daniel Collins
    ( Diablo-V )
    Starlyte Simmer stove on 10/11/2013 07:30:28 MDT Report Post Print
    Rating: 5 / 5

I just got my newly debuted Starlyte simmer stove from Zelph. He was monitoring a forum thread here at BPL where we were discussing a need for something that would simmer in a Caldera Cone Tri-Ti. He decided to release this on the market as the thread was ongoing.

I have not had time to post a full technical review yet but this tiny featherweight stove will earn its weight in saved fuel by allowing me to reliably simmer with a Caldera Cone. The stove comes with the cap to save unused fuel, is convenient and safe with the carbon wool holding the unburned alcohol. This is a practical answer to spirit stove cooking as no stove does EVERYTHING well. This one gets slipped in when the food has reached boil- to replace the boil stove. It should simmer as long as anyone would need. I will post numbers when I get them. Bravo and thanks for this stove.

Steve Martell
    Eastern Washington
    Simmerlyte: Slow but Efficient on 10/13/2013 17:52:10 MDT
    Rating: 5 / 5

I concur with the above and I'm quite impressed on the efficiency of this stove. With my current cooking setup (prototype bottle/kettle) I've managed several 2 cup boils using 12 grams of 190 proof alcohol (Everclear). When used with SLX alcohol it only reached 200F with 14 grams. I've avoided burning high ethanol alcohol in the past due to carbon/soot deposits but this stove burns extremely clean. Now I can go back to Everclear and have a multi-use fuel. :)

Boil tests:
    * 2 cups (473g water) at 39F
    * Heating rate (with 190proof) about 10-12 degrees (F) per minute
    * Boil time 15 to 17 minutes (500' above sea level)

The Simmerlyte holds about 39 grams which should equal three cold water boils–4 if the water is warmer. This is enough for a short trip w/o carrying extra fuel. Nice work Dan!

DY
    Adventures In DIY Stove Making

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools