Topic

Shelter Recommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shelter Recommendation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I will concede that one, and maybe alter it to further iterate my point that you have less chance of catastrophic failure.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

In strong winds you are more likely to have a pole snap on a rigid structure (freestanding tent) than on a shelter designed to flex such as a tunnel or a hoop tent.
    I find it funny how some rave about freestanding tents (advertised as "freestanding") that require 8-14 stakes to work correctly.
    Always reminds me of Groucho Marx "who are you going to believe : me or your own eyes?"

BTW, just pile up some rocks over the ends of the Moment and it will stand up just as if you had stakes there (put something inbetween the tie=out lines and the rocks to avoid abrasion)
    Then secure the guylines around a rock.
    So no need for suitable soft ground in any particular spot.
    Seam sealing a Moment in my bedroom :
    Another brick on the Moment

marc D
    BPL Member

@mareco

Locale: Scotland

"Won't Collapse from a Single Stake/Guy Failure "

Not only this, but with a freestanding tent you are less likely to have the stakes pulled out in the first instance. The stakes are generally doing less work.

On a non-freestanding tent, the stakes are having to tension the tent so that it stands up as well as resist wind loads.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools