Topic

What packs do you like in the 35L range?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What packs do you like in the 35L range?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Julian Bender
    Spectator

@jbphilly

I'm looking to pick up a hopefully-cheap pack to fill the middle ground between my daypack and my long-distance trekking pack. The daypack is an REI Flash 18, which is awesome – weighs 10oz, rolls up very small, the only thing I'd add to it would be mesh pockets on the sides. My big backpack is the REI Flash 65, whose size is really pretty excessive for my uses – but I picked it up on clearance a while back and its served me well.

Right now I'm in the Middle East, which means lots of hikes in the near future where I'm either day-hiking with LOTS of water (5-6 liters to start the day, since there's often no chance for a refill), and when I'm back in the States, in moderate weather I don't think I'll need more than 35 or maybe 40L of capacity for most backpacking trips.

Given how much it sucks carrying even 4L of water and light snacks in the Flash 18, I'm interested in finding a pack that can do heavy-day-hike duty and some backpacking duty as well. A friend of mine has an Osprey Talon 33, which might fit the bill perfectly, but I'm wondering if there are any other packs out there that might suit my criteria.

Criteria are:
    -30 to 40L range
    -Weight under 2 pounds
    -Hopefully can be found on sale for under $100; if I can get it used or on clearance for less, that's great
    -Most of all, it's comfortable with a relatively heavy load for its size – water weighs a lot

What are your favorites that fit into those specs?

Also, my only gripe with the Osprey was that the side pockets aren't mesh; it would be a lot easier to fit a map in there if they were.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

If you like the Flash series why not try out their 30 or 45litre versions.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Osprey Talon 33 is a sweet pack.

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

Steve Davis
    BPL Member

@stevendavisphoto

Locale: SF Bay Area

i love my zpacks arc blast. they make a "slim" version that is 35l…

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_slim.shtml

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the one that fits you best

its that simple

;)

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

35 L isnt exactly "low volume" … thats more or less the size of my osprey mutant …

you missed the OP's statement

Most of all, it's comfortable with a relatively heavy load for its size – water weighs a lot

i would say that your statement of

Fit is less of an issue with a low volume pack as the load would me minimal and any frameless pack would work well.

no longer holds true

broken records are people spewing out pack "recommendations" without regard for what fits that particular person … as what fits a BPLer might not fit YOU

;)

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the OP asked for 35-40L

its not suprising that youre backtracking

first you claimed

Fit is less of an issue with a low volume pack as the load would me minimal and any frameless pack would work well

and now youre saying that

having a pack that fits is probably a good idea

so which one is it mr ure …

will "any frameless pack work well" for carrying 'heavy loads for the size" and still be "comfortable" as the OP requested?

or are ya changing yr tune now

does the fit matter or doesnt it … make up your BPL mind !!!

;)

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

what reckless hate we have now … reduced to personal attacks now david?

the OP asked for 35-40L

he specifically asked for "heavy weight for the size", and "COMFORTABLE" … i wasnt aware that a pack could be comfortable without regard to fit, or that i could tell another person what comfortable is over the intrawebs without them ever trying it on …

note that the BPL absaroka pack is around 43L (37 L main compartment) and was designed to carry 30-40 pound specifically to carry "heavy weight"

i can easily load up my mutant with 30 lbs, its not hard if, as the OP indicated, he would be carrying significant amounts of WATER

did you even ask what SPECIFIC WEIGHTS the OP is willing to carry???? … so you do you know that its a "limited" weight

the ure method basically says that "any frameless pack would work well" and be "comfortable"

now for some more hate from ya …

;)

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

You might look at:
    GG Murmur
    SMD Feather

Both carry well for their size and weight. A little more than the $100 you are looking for and solid not mesh side pockets, but both are very versatile.

David Ure

@familyguy

"did you even ask what SPECIFIC WEIGHTS the OP is willing to carry???? … so you do you know that its a "limited" weight"

Did you? You said that as long as it fits it is that simple. Really? This is backpacking LIGHT, and as such, it isn't that simple.

LOL

I want to now hear about your backpacking experience. Can you oblige? What packs have you used for carrying water while backpacking that were 35l? What is your experience with backpacking light? I would never call you a fraud but I would be interested given you consistently take jabs at members on this forum who seek backpacking light.

Should I start another thread on the matter?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

now thats out of the way

1. go to your nearest gear stores … try on EVERY pack you can with the gear youll be carrying … same weights …. run up and down the stairs … find the one that FITS best as the price and weight you want

2. if you decide to buy online, be prepared to pay return shipping … some retailers offer free return shipping, cottage companies dont … be very sure of the return policies

3. if you decide to buy it new, dont take off the tags … walk around the house, the yard and the neighbourhood with the back on with the MAX weight you will be carrying in the pack … this will tell you if its "comfortable"

4. if you do decide to become a BPL member, there are excellent articles on frameless/framed packs and the theory/praticalities of em

and finally be aware there packs are like shoes .. if yr carrying any type of decent load, as you indicated you would. fit is EVERYTHING

;)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

"did you even ask what SPECIFIC WEIGHTS the OP is willing to carry???? … so you do you know that its a "limited" weight"

Did you? You said that as long as it fits it is that simple. Really? This is backpacking LIGHT, and as such, it isn't that simple.

LOL

I want to now hear about your backpacking experience. Can you oblige? What packs have you used for carrying water while backpacking that were 35l? What is your experience with backpacking light? I would never call you a fraud but I would be interested given you consistently take jabs at members on this forum who seek backpacking light.

Should I start another thread on the matter?

the OP indicated that he carries 4L of water in his flash 18

heres some simple math … 2L of water for the leader, 2L of water for the follower – 4 L of water on the approach

and we havent even gotten into the other stuff

as for the OP even you can do the math

4L of water + snacks as indicated by the OP = 10lbs
    "UL" gear weight assuming hes UL – ~10lbs … now he could be a 5 lb SULer, but more than likely not

so were at 20lbs already … add in more food .. 25 lb

so basically according to you ANY FRAMELESS PACK will hold ~25 LBs COMFORTABLY

;)

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

read it again mr ure, if u can … water on approach

why dont YOU answer the "question" of why "any frameless pack" will fit on a 25 lb+ load "comfortably"

hmmmm … so glad were on law and order now

;)

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Eric, if you had any experience in ultralight backpacking, which we have established that you do not, you would know that getting that much gear plus 6 to 8 litres of water into 35 L plus food for a multiway trek is very, very improbable. So your 25 pound load is not realistic for multiple days.

Poor fellow.

You forgot to mention that the OP shouldn't buy a pack that did not have an unlimited guarantee so that you can return it after years of use and get a free replacement. You must hate REI now. LOL.

david .. you are the one whos reduced to bringing all this extra stuff from the REI threads to "be right"

you should read the OPs post above where he specifically mentioned 4L + snacks, a "heavy" load, no where did he mention "6 to 8 litres of water into 35 L" liters as you claim

4 L weights 9 lbs and is two 2L platies … which easily fit volume wise in ANY 35-40L pack … how they carry with all the other stuff is a different story

you will also note that he said 35-40L … as mentioned the BPL absaroka pack is in the ~40 L range and was specifically designed to carry such weights for a reason …

not to mention, if you went through the excellent article on BPL 2011 frameles pack volume measurements you would find that the volume listed by manufacturers can vary by +/- 25% even on UL gear … so your constant touting of the "35L" manufacturer numbers (it can easily be 26L-50L TRUE volume with the variance) is pretty useless

now lets bring in the dancing bears

;)

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Wait a minute. So he can or cannot fit all of this theoretical gear into a 35 L pack? Did you not previously post that he could get all that water and all that gear and food into a 35L pack? You are changing the parameters of your argument. Not to mention you keep editing your posts. Please stop doing this.

Answer my questions as to your backpacking history and your qualifications with respect to your experience ultralight backpacking. I would think if you don't backpack, don't ultralight backpack, haven't owned any of the cottage packs, have never used a frameless pack (quoting the excellent SOTM review…love it) for backpacking, and have never used a 35L pack for backpacking, then what qualifies you to answer the OPs question? Your replies to him suggest that he is new to UL backpacking. How do you know this? It is condescending at best and disingenuous at worst.

The OP asked, "Criteria are:
    -30 to 40L range
    -Weight under 2 pounds
    -Hopefully can be found on sale for under $100; if I can get it used or on clearance for less, that's great
    -Most of all, it's comfortable with a relatively heavy load for its size – water weighs a lot"

Eric, what packs have you used that would fit this criteria?

and you keep on bringing up things personal attacks from other threads david … pot calling the kettle black now

lets rehash … the OP asked for

Given how much it sucks carrying even 4L of water and light snacks in the Flash 18, I'm interested in finding a pack that can do heavy-day-hike duty and some backpacking duty as well. A friend of mine has an Osprey Talon 33, which might fit the bill perfectly, but I'm wondering if there are any other packs out there that might suit my criteria.

Criteria are:
    -30 to 40L range
    -Weight under 2 pounds
    -Most of all, it's comfortable with a relatively heavy load for its size – water weighs a lot

youre the one who is bring up
    -"6-8 L of water"
    – "any frameless pack would work well"
    – "multiway trek"

but since you want to know this is the pack i use in the ~30L range …
    -30L manuf specs
    – 740 g
    – i bought mine for 65$, its list price is 99$
    – "comfort" is a relative term and VERY PERSONAL but i can carry a few liters of water, part of a rack, a light rope, ice axe, puffy, emergency gear, some food, and bivy gear if needed just fine … my knees go before my back in any case with this pack

but im not saying the OP should get this pack … he might need more volume, he might find it doesnt fit him, he might want different features …

the ONLY real way to tell is to go out and try/use the pack …

;)

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Julian Bender
    Spectator

@jbphilly

Seems like the Talon 33, Exos 34 and Jam 35 would all be good options…the Exos 34, I noticed, is only 2oz heavier than the Talon 33 in the sizes I would get – is that all just the frame? If the hipbelt is just mesh as you say, perhaps they shaved some weight there to make up for adding a frame. The Jam could be really good too, although I've always wondered how much weight those packs are really meant to be comfortable with. Not to mention I hate the color.

Given that a friend has a Talon 33 though, I'll have to take that one out on a test hike. Unfortunately the selection of imported gear in Israel (much less the other countries) is pretty miserable, and comes with serious markups, so trying packs on isn't and option. And ultralight has never been heard of here…

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools