Topic

Dora Mountain, Eagles Nest Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Dora Mountain, Eagles Nest Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Link to Blog Here

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Dora Mountain sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the jagged peaks of the Gore Range when scouting the topographic map. High relief on all sides gives way to a mountain flat and nearly featureless until you eye Dora Lake which sits on the southern end. I search the internet for other trip reports and any applicable information. To my liking I find just enough to know that it should be an unforgettable one. No trails  impede this flat-topped mountain which present a steep climb to reach its tundra.

Kelly and I departed a crowded parking lot at the Surprise Lake trailhead on a crisp and windy Saturday afternoon. This is a hike we'd originally planned on spending three days and two nights on. We had planned to explore much more than just Dora, but a dramatic change in weather was fast approaching and the forecast got worse and worse for our second day out. We'd have to abandon the original plan and settle for an overnighter. After a very enjoyable spring and summer backpacking, I can't help but to think how much better it could have been had my outings not been as interrupted by heavy wind and rain, and now this time: snow.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Surprise Lake.

The crowds eased as we passed the Lake and began climbing the northern flank of Dora Mountain through thick vegetation and down trees.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Climbing towards the top of treeline. The higher we got, the less gradient.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The hillsides beginning to take on a tinge of Fall.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Green Mountain and Green Mountain Reservoir.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Taking a tour of the mountain.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Eagles Nest Peak and the steep slopes down to Upper Cataract Lake. Eliot Ridge in the distance.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Spotting Mount Powell (13,448'). The tallest in the entire Gore Range.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And then out of nowhere; Dora Lake. The summit sits directly behind.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

From a distance.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Then up close. The Black Creek drainage looks incredible. We stare at the many fingers of this steep and narrow valley nearly speechless.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Settling in for the evening after considering our options for camp. Heavy wind and no cover made those options limited. Our tent is directly below the *.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Exploring shores.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Watching the shadows hit the range on a brisk evening.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Watching the moon rise, spotting shooting stars and messing with camera settings.

I woke up in the middle of the night as the wind pounded the side of the tent and what sounded like light rain began. After what felt like hours I was finally saved by ear plugs to accomplish a snooze. Early morning light came which brought overcast skies with rain, sleet then snow. The forecast I read before leaving said that as the day went on, weather would get worse. We ate a cold breakfast as we packed up gear inside the tent. I peaked out of the vestibule to find worsening conditions in a completely unprotected setting.  My biggest concern was lack of visibility and not knowing what to expect in the next oncoming cloud.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

As we left the lake shore and began to hop boulders the skies opened and moisture from the sky was put on halt. The same peaks we were staring at last night had a fresh dusting of powder. We made our way back to the trailhead while peeling off our insulating layers.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The permanent snowfield below Dora Lake.

We didn't encounter a single person until reaching the Surprise Lake trailhead. As we drove away, huge thunderstorms hit. Sad to be out so soon, but relieved we missed the worst of weather. The following morning brought reports of up to a foot of snow in the high country. Fall is here.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Being an east coastie and not familiar with everything west, where is this place?

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Dora is located in the central Colorado Rockies and is in the northern tip of the Gore Range.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Nice report Tim.
    I assume you used your rainbow on this trip? How did it handle the exposed camp site?

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Thanks Ben. That's a negative on the Rainbow. I used my old (heavy) REI Quarter Dome 2 person tent.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Really nice pictures and report. Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools