Topic

Does it cost to hit the SOS button??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Does it cost to hit the SOS button??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I'm working on a rescue insurance article for BPL, which might be published early next year. Judging from my early work, the whole area is incredibly complex.

Keep those stories and pointers coming!

— Rex

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

to use the adjective 'complex' for insurance is redundant, me thinks.

Bill d.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I wonder if an organization with as many members as BPL could get an insurance company to offer a rescue insurance package tailored to our needs? Similar to what is offered in Colorado, but for all states?

Second thought: well, it appears what I was thinking of in Colorado is not actually rescue insurance exactly:
    http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DOLA-Main/CBON/1251592090523

In any event, I sill wonder if an organization could be formed to get a good deal from an insurance company for rescue insurance? Something like the American Alpine Club offers:
    http://americanalpineclub.org/p/global_rescue

I mean, BPL people are generally not out climbing mountains like American Alpine Club memembers so there should be less risk, right? Less risk should = lower cost right?

Global Rescue provides the package to American Alpine Club. They are in the business of offering rescue insurance. Perhaps approach them about a good deal for BPL members?
    http://www.globalrescue.com/aac/

Just brain storming… no knives and daggers my way… please?

Bill D.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Huh?

I have the same rescue insurance policy as John Muir had.

You're all kidding, right?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Global Rescue provides the package to American Alpine Club" –

Global Rescue's Individual plan:
    "Medical evacuations from anywhere in the world to your choice of home-country hospital, any time you are more than 160 miles from home and need hospitalization…" [emphasis added]

80% of my trail time is close to home. A policy like this doesn't really do much for $339 a year.

For a policy without a distance restriction you need to bump up to about $600 a year.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=104

GEOS provides the SOS monitoring for the Spot basic service. You can upgrade to the GEOS Member Benefit for reimbursement of up to $100k of SAR expenses. It's $17.95/year and provides GLOBAL coverage except for "six places" like Afghanistan.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

Just tell them that they already did bill you… last April 15.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

You're assuming it's the government sending you the bill.
    May times it's and independent helicopter owner trying to make a living.
    They have real fuel costs and labor cost of the pilot and them hellos don't grow on trees… the cost some bucks

Bill D

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Some of the GEOS Exclusions –

This Insurance excludes claims, arising from, or contributed to, by any of the following:
    • to obtain medical treatment;
    • Any sickness medical or mental condition, injury, illness, chronic or recurring disease suffered or the undergoing of any planned or recommended medical procedure of a Member of the Assured which the Member knew about or, in the Underwriter's reasonable opinion should have known about at the commencement date of such Member's membership with the Assured.
    • time trials and/or record attempts;
    • Willful exposure to danger except in an attempt to save human life.
    • Inadequate provision or training or competence needed to safely complete the trip being undertaken.
    • A decision not to travel and/or to not continue to travel
    • Any cause, which existed, had started or had been forecast or for which advance warning had been given before the trip being undertaken had commenced.

If you have a diagnosed issue or predisposition, this policy isn't for you.
    If you ignore impending storms, this policy isn't for you.
    If you are a "risk taker", willfully exposing yourself to danger, this policy isn't for you.

I cannot find any reference to a "distance limitation" – no coverage if you are within say 100 miles of home. I have sent a email asking if it exists.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Rescue Insurance for Backpackers was posted a few days ago.

@RogerDodger: I got no reply to my polite inquiry to the Riverside County Sheriff's office for more information on rescues and costs.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, which helped me with the article.

— Rex

Brian Mix
    BPL Member

@aggro

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada

Not sure if this was mentioned but CalStar offers a membership…
    http://www.calstar.org/membership/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Some of the GEOS Exclusions –
    > This Insurance excludes claims, arising from, or contributed to, by any of the
    > following:
    > • to obtain medical treatment;

I broke a leg and needed medical treatment for it. Does this mean my claim is excluded?

> • Inadequate provision or training or competence needed to safely complete the trip being undertaken.

I could not complete my trip due to a freak storm (or whatever). Does this mean I lacked competence (or whatever)?

Not sure the exclusions don't exclude EVERYTHING.

Cheers
    PS: here in Oz a genuine medical evacuation is always covered.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I would be livid if I got a bill for services. I'd only hit the switch if I felt my life was imperiled.

Do those who call 911 and complain that the local fast-food store is out of chicken mcnuggets get billed?

Does the drunk who runs off the road and hits a tree get billed for the medical services performed at the scene?

Does the confused woman who thinks a forceful breeze is really someone following her get billed when she summons 911?

It's perfectly OK for urban and suburban freaks to summon 911 without fear of financial reprisal regardless of their behavior. Why then should a hiker be billed for his or her calling SAR?

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools