Topic

Red River Gorge Stream Conditions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Red River Gorge Stream Conditions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Stephens

@kykevin

Locale: Land of Arches

I am planning on going to the Gorge and was wondering if anyone knew what kind of impact our lack of rain this year is having on the creeks and streams. I prefer the places with the pools to wade in on hot days, anyone been latlely?

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

I hiked the gorge two weeks ago during my Sheltowee Trace (sort of) thru-hike. ALL streams in the area are LOW, but even at its shallowest , there are still several inches of water in Red River Gorge. My girlfriend and I enjoyed a huge pool a couple of hundred yards southwest of the suspension bridge which was still well over our heads.

The Big South Fork (last week) was another matter entirely, with few places offering water above mid-calf. However, the heavy rains of last night and today may change this.

Kevin Stephens

@kykevin

thanks for the input….where is the suspension bridge? could you suggest a good fri – sun backpacking trip for the wife and me? she has to have water to play in….waterfalls a plus.

Looked at my map and found the bridge……my map shows the river, just not the streams or creeks….I have checked out COUNTLESS books on the gorge and hiking in KY nad most of them describe only day hikes and the such. Any help with a good place for long weekend trips near lexington with water around would be appreciated.

Paul Counts
    Spectator

@paulcounts

Probably your best bet for a trail with good access to water is the Swift Camp Creek Trail. If you want to do a three day trip you will want to do the whole trail and you will need an extra car or you will have to arrange a shuttle. As far as I know there are not any good trails along the Red River but Swift Camp Creek is very nice and there are a lot of good camp sites along it.

As far as water levels, I went backpacking last weekend and the water was very low but it has been raining pretty good today so it may have helped. I would suspect that Swift Camp Creek woud be good regardless. It should be good and cold but there are not many good swimming holes. It just isn't that deep.

Paul

Kevin Stephens

@kykevin

I heard that side of the creek has the highest concentrations of copperheads of anywhere in the United States

Paul Counts
    Spectator

@paulcounts

Swift Camp Creek is one of my two favorite trails in the Gorge. I gave been hiking and camping it for 25 years. I have never seen a Copperhead.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools