Topic

Bergans UL Winter Puffy (%50 down) at the Clymb

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Bergans UL Winter Puffy (%50 down) at the Clymb

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

The clymb has a puffy from bergans called the sastrugi, which looks like a pretty legit UL winter puffy.
    Its got 12 oz of down (750 cu euro =850 US), its box walled and weighs just over 24oz total, which should give a lot of warmth for the weight. Its reversible, with pertex endurance on one side and quantum on the other. Interesting.

It retails for $650 and the climb has it for $225

Use my link or just go to the site. I get a $25 credit if you use my link, but this is my first time buying from the clymb and I was more just posting because this looks like an awesome winter jacket.

http://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/sergegiachetti

http://www.theclymb.com/

Andrew Manies
    Spectator

@amanies

Locale: SF Bay Area

If you're a Clymb member already, you can use the code "FALLDEALS" to save an additional 20% on the jacket, bringing the price down to $180.

I've read some conflicting information online about its weight. Some places report 22 oz for the men's large, and some report 25 oz. Not a huge difference, but perhaps something to consider.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Thanks for that. I contacted the clymb after placing my order and they let me use the code retroactively. Thats good customer service. I'll post here about the jacket if anyone is interested.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

I posted this to a thread about light expedition parkas, but I'll add my first impressions here too. The short version: I like it.

Field experience is always good, but I can easily recommend a jacket thats primary function is warmth. This is definitely warm, with very high quality construction. The full box wall makes it feel like you are wearing a well tailored sleeping bag for your upper body. The baffles are well stuffed, and the hood nicely envelops your head, but also fits well with a helmet. I'm keeping the medium, which has a good belay fit on my 6'2 170 frame, but without much extra room to spare. The M covers most of my butt, and I'd say the fit is fairly long, especially compared to the deliberately short rab infinty I've used. Speaking of which, for an extra 9 oz, this jacket is in a different league of warmth and coverage. I think this provides a better margin of safety on the coldest days. My medium weighs 675 grams and the large weighed 728 grams in a L, so its a little over spec, but the warmth per weight is still very good even if it turns out none of that extra weight is down.

I think I understand the concept of the reversible jacket with pertex endurance on one side and quantum on the other. You can wear the endurance on the outside when its snowing for better protection, then reverse it later to dry it out with body heat if any moisture gets in. I was skeptical about how this would complicate the design, but its well executed. Its not that different from having two zippered inside pockets, except they just mirror the outside ones. Big enough to fit a 1L nalgene in both inside pockets. I like the two color option, as one is more muted for town, and one is a nice bright blue for mountain stuff. Only thing I don't like is the little arm pocket on one side, b/c its cold against your skin if you're wearing it with a t-shirt, and sleeve pockets are kinda dumb, right? Also, its a super lofty jacket throughout with box baffles in the chest and arms, but I think its stitch through where the arms meet the torso. Small nitpick which I think is pretty common to most box baffled jackets.

Anyway, just thought I'd post impressions, since its still on the clymb for a very good price, and its one of the warmest winter parkas I've found for the weight. Between %46-%49 down!

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

"If you're a Clymb member already, you can use the code "FALLDEALS" to save an additional 20% on the jacket, bringing the price down to $180."

Looks like I waited too long and that code has expired.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Hi Rick, sorry I don't have a ruler handy. I can tell you that if there is a weakness of this jacket its that compared to the rest of it, the part where the torso meets the sleeves (i.e. shoulder) I believe is sewn through and there is considerably less loft. The rest of the jacket though, in my unquantified estimation, is a loft monster.

whitenoise .
    BPL Member

@whitenoise

Just wanted to add a couple things. Thanks to Serge for helping me with info on this jacket, he's an upstanding guy. I got one of these and it's a very nice jacket, worth a lot more than the $220 price on the Clymb in my opinion. I've let it loft fully and it's about 4" of loft and pretty damn squishy with down, which is the same as the Rab Neutrino Endurance Plus jacket that I bought recently (and returned, because their new "hydrophobic down" has resulted in much less loft). Mine weighs about 23.5 oz, which is ~3 oz less than the Neutrino Plus (size medium I bought was a little more than 26 oz), but the Sastrugi has 2oz more down than the Plus. My Rab Neutrino (non-plus) weighs 21 oz for a size medium with 8 oz of down, plus about an ounce for the stuff sack. That's only 1.5 oz less than this jacket, which has 4 oz more down, and the stuff sack is built in to the pocket! Fit is great, the craftsmanship is great. I'm stoked if you can't tell. One last detail: the shell material is actually Pertex Endurance at about 20 denier, not Pertex Shield as the Clymb says, but it has double layers around the elbows for reinforcement.

Primarily I'm posting because you can still pick one of these up even though they're no longer showing in the search results. I just bought mine so I know they're still valid. Here's the direct links:

http://www.theclymb.com/all/brand-event/1979/show-product/568206?f=mi (for Red/Gray sizes M/L/XL

http://www.theclymb.com/all/brand-event/1979/show-product/568205?f=mi (for Bright Blue/Red sizes S/L/XL/XXL

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools