Topic

Applying DWR to winter softshell: Hood + Top Shoulders/Arms or All Over?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Applying DWR to winter softshell: Hood + Top Shoulders/Arms or All Over?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Going to recharge the DWR on my Patagonia Ready Mix Jacket, a polyester softshell which weighs around 15 oz which I use in winter.

Since breathability on the move is most important to me, I was thinking – would it be best to spray on Grangers XT Waterproofing to the hood, top of the shoulders/back and top of the arms only, before allowing to dry and then throwing in the dryer on medium heat? Will the dryer spread the treatment all over the jacket anyhow?

Or would you spray the entire garment?

Likewise do you think it best to apply DWR to the hood, top of shoulders and arms for your wind shirt? I have a pre-2012 Houdini, which is quite breathable, and which used an EPIC-like process for waterproofing.

steven franchuk

@surf

DWR will have minimal to no effect on breathability. Spray the entire jacket. Note no DWR treatment will make a jacket water proof. Note DWR only prevents water from sticking to the fabric. It doesn't prevent water from flowing through the fabric and getting you wet.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Thanks Steven, agreed – DWR just prevents wet-out. Reason I asked is that I recall a thread in which Richard Nisley was discussing the breathability of various windshirts including the new Patagonia Houdini (2012 on, much less breathable than previous versions) and I thought he or another poster in the thread mentioned DWR treatment reducing breathability.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not an expert, but i think it really depends on how the DWR is applied, how much, what kind, etc, etc.

DWR's can potentially decrease breathability. Something like a DIY Nikwax water soak won't really affect it, but some factory kinds can.

Two of the the most common ways that factories make lightweight, thin fabrics more down proof, for example, is by calendering it (putting it through high pressure rollers that are heated) and applying a heavier/thicker DWR coating. The more down proof a fabric, the less breathable it will tend to be.

I'm not sure about the various sprays and the like, as i've haven't used these much. But i would think if you over spray, you can decrease the breathability some.

Hopefully someone with more concrete knowledge and experience with different DWR's will chime in.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

On a softshell i wouldnt worry …especially a non membrane one

I just wash it with grangers wash in and throw it in the dryer

;)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools