Topic

Frozen Head State Park, TN or Savage Gulf State Park, TN

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Frozen Head State Park, TN or Savage Gulf State Park, TN

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Eric Graves
    BPL Member

@elgraves

Locale: Middle of TN

I have a weekend off in the near future and I was wondering if anyone has been to Frozen Head State Park in Tenneseee? It looks like it might be a fun area to explore for the weekend. Also I have been to Savage Gulf State Park. I did the overnight trip to Hobbs Cabin. I would not mind going back there again. I wish I had a few more days off and I would go back to the Smokey's but that's not going to work out. If you have any thoughts or experience in either park let me know.

Anthony McGuire

@amcguire

I've never been to Frozen Head State Park so I can't comment on that area. I have been to Savage Gulf quite a few times and always love the place. Frankly, just look at the map and put some trails together for your weekend and you'll have a great hike. The Stone Door is a great spot (and easy to get to). Schwoon spring is the water source for the Sawmill campsite; the spring flows out of a cave, then drops down into a deep hole and disappears. Any of the rim trails will give nice views of the gorges that makes up Savage Gulf.

Anonymous

I'd highly recommend frozen head over savage gulf. It's by far my favorite park in Tennessee. Frozen Head has 55 – 60miles of the best maintained blazed trails in Tennessee. A lot of people call it the little Smokies – from the lookout tower you should actually be able to see the Smokies from the lookout tower. If your looking for a challenging weekend, then I'd suggest you do Chimney Top to North Bird. North bird is as hard as any trail you'll find in the southeast.

Out of curiosity what weekend are you going?

Eric Graves
    BPL Member

@elgraves

Locale: Middle of TN

I am headed there in the morning. For a quick overnight trip. Hopefully it doesn't dump buckets but should be fun.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools