Topic

Foot care kit, need help.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Foot care kit, need help.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

An observation and a question….

Observation:

This is one of those things where it's easier for me to show it than to try and explain it. If I fail at explaining it, I'll upload a picture later.

A combat medic taught me long ago that when popping a blister, to consider the mechanics of how the blister rubs against the boot/shoe. He suggested draining the blister on the side which will receive the least friction so the incision will hopefully not rip open.

What Daniel described above re: squirting tincture of benzoin into the blister is called a Hot Shot in the military (or at least when I was in). It does hurt like hell but works.

Question:

I read one of Peter's links and learned a new technique from the wiki article. It reads:

"Adhesive promoters are nearly always needed to get tape to stick well. Tincture of Benzoin (friar’s balsom) is cheaper than Mastiol, but not as strong. The spray bottle that Tincture of Benzoin comes in is rather useless, so I transfer to a smaller bottle and use a brush to apply it. Some type of powder should be used so the excess adhesive promoter does not stick where it’s not wanted. I use Zeasorb, but baby powder is as good for this. Friar's Balsam/Tinture of Benzoin at Zombie Runner and Mastisol at Zombie Runner."

My question is that I'm not clear on the "Some type of powder should be used so the excess adhesive promoter does not stick where it’s not wanted. I use Zeasorb, but baby powder is as good for this." part of it.

It seems that the powder would reduce adhesion so am I correct in assuming that I should apply powder anywhere I don't want the Benzoin or Mastiol to stick?

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

> It seems that the powder would reduce adhesion so am I correct in assuming
    > that I should apply powder anywhere I don't want the Benzoin or Mastiol to stick?

In the duct-tape section he mentions using the powder after applying the tape so that any exposed sticky stuff won't catch on something and roll the tape.

I'd guess he's suggesting the same here. Put the tape on and powder it last to cover any exposed liquid.

Corn starch might also be a good alternative.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

Well my Leukotape and second skin arrived yesterday via Amazon.com
    The Spenco second skin blister kit also contains "Moisture pads" and foam pads which are taped in place over hot spots. The foam is the same as what is used for that white double sided mounting tape. It appears to be a substitute for moleskin. With the moleskin and two kinds of tapes, I don't see the point of adding Kinesio Tex tape to the kit … seems like the two tapes should be enough.
    I think I can use the backing paper from the amazon shipping labels to store leuko tape strips.
    Has anyone heard of taping over seams in the inside of hiking shoes ?
    My new Saucony Adventerra's have a sewn seam running vertically along the heel which rubs the back of my heel when I walk. That was with my first break in session with thin socks, not the thicker ones I will use on the trail.

"I'm waiting to have someone bring a tube to Costa Rica"
    Well I'm headed to Lima Peru this Friday for a couple days so I could toss the tube out the window when we fly over …. : )
    I like the idea of the foam applicator for the benzoin. Thanks for that.

Regarding powder for non-stick and in the interest of simplicity – why couldn't I just use a dab of BodyGlide instead of the powder ?

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Lubricants prevent tape from sticking to you.

Powder over adhesives prevent the adhesives from sticking you to your gear.

Anything that prevents the edge of the tape from sticking ensures a failed tape job, and more time spent fixing the problem.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Anything that prevents the edge of the tape from sticking ensures a failed tape job, and more time spent fixing the problem."

Makes perfect sense and I'm not sure why this wasn't immediately obvious when I read it yesterday. I haven't tried leukotape yet and have had mixed results with duct tape. Some of the failures I've had with duct tape are from an edge sticking to my sock and working its way loose from my foot so I can see how this would work.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

FYI, leukotape will stick to your socks like crazy (depending on placement), even though it continues to stick to your feet. It's almost like double-sided tape on the ball of the foot, once it gets moist. When using leuko, I pull a frightful amount of wool out of my socks (sticks to the tape), when taking my socks off.

What we need is a smooth sided leukotape. If Transpore could be made to adhere as tenaciously, it would be my choice.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Just to clarify what I meant earlier by suggesting bodyglide vs powder.
    If I tape over my benzoin treated skin with, say, leuko tape, then smeared BodyGlide over the whole thing – wouldn't that keep the tape and benzoin from sticking to my socks ?

My thought was to eliminate the need to carry yet another item – powder.

dreamer
    BPL Member

@ejcfree

After pretty much destroying a few pairs of socks with residue pushed through the Leukotape on my heels I started putting a layer of Cover-Roll over it. This soft flexible permiable cloth tape has what seems to me to be a decent adhesive and did the job of preventing my socks from glueing to the Leukotape. For minor trouble, hot spots, small between toe blisters, areas with a small amount of friction, I would use it alone. I've since switched to Kinesio (not so effective for lots of friction while wet, but generally adequate and I like the flexibility) for my taping needs but still carry some Leuko/Cover-Roll just in case. Switching to loose ish trail runners with thin wool socks and toughening the skin with a small amount of Hydropel early on in the trip is what really has helped greatly reduce blister issues for me.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

so, if say, your leuko tape is pulling at the edges, and it's mucking up the insides or your socks (Very ucky on a long trip), and you've tried to powder/benzoin the edges to no avail … how about moving that ever-so-tending-to-pull edge away from the area of disturbance.
    to that end, i use on heels a good 9"to 10" of tape (x2), and i put on 2 overlapping pieces. (might explain why i'm a proponent of full rolls). the tape starts under the arch, and ends high on the rear tendon.
    in that way, the prone to yucking up edges are not near the area i'm wanting to protect, nor near the areas where they get picked away at by socks sliding about.

moral : too small a bit of tape will get rolled about. so i use enough to get the problem distant from the cause.
    but that's just what works for me.

compared to taking time off work, tape is cheap. so use lots !

v.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

OK Amazon sells the Cover-roll tape in combination with Leuko Tape so it is now on my wish list. They also have blunt tipped syringes. But I got a 3 Mil syringe from a friend at work so that is covered.

And I ground down a toenail clipper to reduce weight, really proud of that one …
    So I will start out as a walking drugstore and refine it down as I find out what is useful FOR ME.

List so far:
    Anti-chafe creme (must decide which to use) Bodyglide it shall be- in tiny pill tub.
    Spenco 2nd skin tape
    Kinesio Tape – (probably)
    Cover-roll tape
    Leuko Tape stuck to leftover backing paper from aluminum tape.
    Benzoin tincture (Swabs here, liquid on order)Will make foam dispenser.
    Moleskin patches.
    Alcohol wipes
    Provodone Iodine vials – 3 ea.
    Triple Antibiotic packets. 4 ea
    That dang syringe (not found yet)Oh yeah, got it
    Toenail clippers (too heavy, looking for options) Got them- 1.2 oz

TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

Good light socks like smartwool. Break in shoes. Build up blisters into callus hard feet through practice. Don't go to hard first 4 days out. And use Johnson and Johnson blister gel bandages with ZPacks ultralight and ultrathin tent repair tape to cover any small developing blisters.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

I have the smartwool medium hikers, might order some of the PHD light ones.
    I am wearing the new hiking shoes to work sometimes, and for lawn mowing.
    They will have 50 miles on them before I ever take them on the trail.
    And they will have at least one long day hike of continuous use before any overnighters.
    Are those blister pads the same as the BandAid Blister "Ampules "?
    I just opened one – pretty comfy looking and quite sticky.

"ZPacks ultralight and ultrathin tent repair tape"

Oh no, another tape ?
    But I have 76 freaking kinds of tape now !
    Aside from some of most tapes recommended here, there is my "repair and sewing" kit with McNett Super tape, Cuben Fiber repair tape, Duct tape, and then there is that medical tape in my first aid kit ……… If I hike the AT they will start calling me "Tape Man" ……

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

If you want a pair of small nail clippers try Nuby brand infant nail clippers,they sell them on Amazon for $2.99,mine weigh .3 oz or 8.5 grams.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

What is needed for an occassional blister is a square of duct tape.
    What is needed for chronic blisters is another solution all together.

I just did 115 miles in 6 days in the mountians, and never took my one pair of thin wool socks off.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"I just did 115 miles in 6 days in the mountians, and never took my one pair of thin wool socks off."

Gross, and unnecessary. You'll pull them off one time and find a nasty surprise. Not hard to maintain a level of cleanliness in the backcountry.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Your only options are to be LESS dirty, LESS sweaty. You will never be clean, nor do you need to be.

Or just maybe, some problems are caused by hauling all the excess items some think they need.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think Ken is right– a "level" of cleanliness can be maintained and with relative ease. It doesn't take much to give yourself a sponge bath" once in a while with a little Dr Bronners and a bandana or micro pack towel. While there's no need to be obsessive about cleanliness, there is no need to be filthy all the time either. Good foot care is just common sense to me. I carry spare socks and it's easy to swap them out and launder them once in a while. Going 6 days without cleaning and airing your feet is asking for trouble IMHO.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have been too lazy to read the previous 3 pages of posts :-) in the evening I put some talcum powder on my feet and then my spare socks and if my trail runners are wet are a pair of Rocky Goretex sock on before putting my runners back on for around camp.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

I'm in agreement with clean feet and spare camp socks.
    But since several members have chimed in with foot care philosophy vs kit contents,
    I'm OK with dissenting opinions, even extreme ones such as M.B.'s.
    But since I don't know how MY feet will respond to my shoes and 10-20-30 days on the trail – I want to be prepared at a cost of 5 to 7 ounces in my pack weight.
    It seems a worthwhile penalty in theory at least.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

JR wrote: "Mike: +1 on transferring Leukotape to backing/release paper. Trim weight by bringing only what you need. Note: do NOT try it on kitchen wax paper, the Leukotape will stick to it in warm temps. Backing/release paper is silicone treated for non-stick."

I found this out the hard way! Does anyone know if the backing to Fedex shipping label pouches works? If not, what does? Thanks.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Does anyone know if the backing to Fedex shipping label pouches works? If not, what does?"

I don't know about FedEx labels.

But I do know that the backing for Avery Labels works, as does the backing for postage stamps.

One 8.5" x 11" sheet of Avery backing will support 4' of tape.

I cut the strips apart and roll them. I think(?) Skurka sandwiched them in his sleep pad.

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

If you have a local sign shop nearby; they'll have trash cans full of the stuff in any size you can imagine. It's used on all of the adhesive backed vinyl they use to make signs with.

That's what I did for my Leukotape solution (but then again I own said sign shop :-)

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Thanks guys. I use Avery labels daily at work so plenty of empty backing sheets available. If that doesn't work I'll hit up a local sign shop.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Along with the previously mentioned tapes and body glide, I now use some Monkey Butt powder in my shoes or just some on my feet after I put on body glide. I use the powder anyway for my monkey butt, so it has dual purpose. Then at night when I clean up, I also put some powder on my feet, then my sleep socks and it really makes for a comfy night for my feet. I can't even remember the last time I had a blister.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools