Topic

sharing photos online

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography sharing photos online

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Don't know if this is the best forum for this question, but I'm wondering what web-sites folks use for uploading photos to the web and sharing them with friends and family. I used to use Picasa, but now that Google has gone to Google+, I find it very confusing and cumbersome to actually get photos shared with people. I'm not on Facebook, don't want to be, I just want to be able to e-mail a link to folks I actually know and show what I've done lately. I've considered a blog, so that I can include dialogue and impressions about the trip, but haven't taken that jump.

Anybody care to share their solutions?

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Flickr is really great for what you describe. Photobucket is similar. There are lots of places for photo-sharing. These are the first that come to mind.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You want to decide whether you want something that is free, or if you are willing to pay for it. Many photo sites are basically in the business of making prints for you for a price.

Also, consider that some sites claim the rights to your photos for their purposes. I find that to be intolerable.

–B.G.–

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

From a viewer standpoint, Flickr is better than it used to be. I don't like viewing Photobucket. 500px is aimed at professional portfolios but you don't have to be a pro to use their services. Very slick looking. Dropbox is simple to use but has poor privacy controls. You can either share the link to a photo or have it in your public folder, but no password access or restricted linking, if that is a concern to you. WordPress is simple to upload and has many themes geared towards photoblogs.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'm using dropbox these days.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I like Flickr for sharing right now. It provides an easy interface and you can control who can view individual photos or entire sets. One approach is to set your default permissions to private and only share those photos or sets you want with friends and family. It also allows your contacts to comment directly on the photos too. The site is so much nicer to use now with their latest update. Here is a Grand Canyon set I uploaded earlier this year:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikewhitman/sets/72157634450223638/

Another newcomer is Everpix. They have a mobile app and a desktop app that you run and they sync all your photos to the site automatically in the background. All photos are private by default and you can easily create shared photo pages as needed. This is a good option if you just want to upload all your photos and have them available to you on any device at any time.

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

Hi Diane, I still use Google (not Google+), and Picasa editor for uploading files, and Picasa website for sharing photos.

Copying URL is fairly easy ctrl-a, ctrl-c, and finally ctrl-v to paste in email, such as:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/107988687807309957397/MountainWalk

I don't use the share button on the Picasa website.

Google+ has not really impacted my photo sharing on Google's Picasa website.

Maybe you might want to reconsider what you've apparently been using?

Cheers

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I had a couple thousand pictures on Webshots and my albums had over 1.5 million hits. Had many photos linked. Then Webshots was sold, they new owners turned into some sort of social networking site and deleted everything, even though I had a premium membership and was paying for the service.

Solution…

Built your own website. Host it yourself.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

I use two. I use Flickr for sharing photos with my friends and family, and I use Smugmug for hosting all my photos, even the ones I don't share, and especially the ones I use to put into forum threads like trip reports, etc.

Smugmug is owned by the owners of the website advrider.com, an adventure motorcycle riding forum. It does have an annual fee of $30 bucks or something, but there seems to be no limit on the size or amount of photos you can host. It is also very user friendly for selling photos if you choose to.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools