Topic

repairing ripped down pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) repairing ripped down pants?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Locale: So Cal

Any ideas on how to repair a 1inch L-shaped rip in the seat of my down pants (Montbell)? I think it occurred after sitting on a wooden bench and it's now hemorrhaging feathers :-( I was thinking that stitching it might create pinholes for more feather loss, and maybe duct-tape or tenacious tape might be better. I don't care about appearances. Thanks for any advice.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have repaired ripped down items with McNett Tenacious tape, cut out a patch and round out the edges and it will last a long time.

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Thanks for the suggestion – that's what I'll do.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Best of luck, it really is a 2 minute job, I have done it via torch light when a buddy burned a hole in his down jacket.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Since those are sewn through you could also sacrifice the included stuff sack if the fabrics match and make a patch slightly larger than the sewn square. Fold under and sewn on.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I carry a foot of prepared 1/2" wide repair tape for this: the same fabric as our down gear with 3M9485 double-sided tape on it. The last repair has lasted >4 years.

Cheers

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've repaired down garments in the past with a bit of scrap material from the stuff some and some sort of adhesive. Really though, tenacious tape works darn good and much quicker/simpler to do. My Montbell Alpine Light Parka has several nice little black circles of tenacious tape on it.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

How well does the Tenacious Tape do in the wash? I need to repair a down jacket, and that's been my only concern with that method.

I have some scrap material (sent from the manufacturer) and some double-sided transfer tape leftover from cuben projects that I was thinking of trying. Would that work better than Tenacious Tape?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Tenacious Tape is good.

As an aside, I recommend not sitting on ANYTHING in those pants (love mine!) without a sit pad.

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

You're dead right about that – and watch out for any nearby bushes too.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The double sided transfer tape I have (3M 3485???) sticks decently but not as well as tenacious tape. I've never washed any garments patched with tenacious tape, but my guess is it would hold up good for a wash or two and then the edges might peel after a few washes. Pure speculation though. It's good tape but still tape.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

A few years ago during a Utah trip, I burned a hole in my "beater" down coat I use for car camping. (We we were doing a trailhead bivvy before a trip. I leaned over the camp stove and singed it. Doh!)

I put some duct tape on as a temp measure, stashed it in the car, came back from the trip and went to an outfitter in Moab and bought this tape:
    http://www.kenyonconsumer.com/store/product.php?productid=90

When I arrived back at home, I gently washed with a damp cloth the area around the gash, dried the area and placed on the tape. With an iron on VERY LOW setting, I gently ironed around the edges of the tape.

I still use this jacket regularly as my beater down jacket, the feathers have stayed intact and the repair has held 4+ yrs later.

(As an aside, pay $55 on clearance for this jacket and has been quite the work horse for me http://www.trailspace.com/gear/ems/glacier-down-jacket/ No longer avail. )

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have Tenacious in my repair kit, and have never had a chance to use it, so this is it :-)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

if the tenacious tape has been in your reair kit for a long time, it's probably no good

(just trying to make a joke – ignore this)

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Haha! Prob no sticky left…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools