Topic

Permanent SilNylon Repair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Permanent SilNylon Repair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I have a tarp and a stuff sack, both of 30D silnylon. They have several holes ranging from about 1/4"-1/2" dia. What's the best way to permanently repair these? Although sewing is possible, I prefer not to. While tape may work temporarily, I'm looking for something very long term. Thanks in advance!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Very few things adhere to silnylon but you can use McNett Sil-Fix

Or (shameless plug), since you have several holes you might find it more cost effective to adapt techniques shown in this article. But that will require becoming a BPL Premium member or purchasing just that single article.

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

You can thin clear silicone sealer with odorless mineral spirits. Thinned sealer makes a nicer looking patch IMO. Basically use scrap sil-nylon and glue the patches in place with silicone sealer. Play with thinning a bit – you just want to get it so that it will wet out.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

If you don't want to mess with thinning, you can use regular silicone caulk from your hardware store spread on the back of a sil-nylon fabric patch.

Silicone is about the only thing I know of that will stick well to silicone.

Bill D

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Good article Jim, I must of missed it first time round.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I've had good results with patching small holes or tears with silicone seam grip. For larger holes I sew in a patch of silny and then seam seal it.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I'v done a few.
    The way I do it is to smear a very thin coat an both the patch and the sack, let them stand foe about 20 minutes then press them together and put a weight on.
    Leave alone for 48 hours
    Use Sil Net,GE II or other pure silicone.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Dean,
    I use GE silicone glue for the patch, with the surfaces to be glued cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol, the glue spread and scraped thin (try popsicle sticks) on both the patch and the surface, a roller applied to the patch after application, and for good measure, sometimes clamp the patched area between two small strips of wax paper covered wood during drying. Even without the clamps, have used just the roller to bond corner and other reinforcement patches to tent flies leaving some edges unstitched with no problem. Less stitch holes on the body of the fly = less potential leakage.

Some of those flies and repairs have been in use for several years with no delamination or peeling yet. NB: That's the GE "glue", not the caulk I'm referring to. Keep the thinners on the shelf. The roller and/or clamps will help to get the excess glue out of the repair, and the alcohol on towels will clean up around the patch so long as the glue has not started to set.

It's a bit messy, but the silicone doesn't stick to your fingers for days like some of the urethanes. Still, old clothes are a must unless you want to go clothing shopping constantly (like I do – at least there is a Bean's outlet nearby).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools