Topic

What water reservoir do you recommend?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What water reservoir do you recommend?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

I've been looking for a reservoir for a while now but haven't been able to decide on one. The Platypus looks to be reliable and light, but I don't like the long, skinny shape. It seems like it wouldn't carry so well. Camelbaks have a nice shape, but they're heavy. So, 1. What is a good wide reservoir in the 2 liter range? Or 2. Am I wrong saying the Platypus doesn't carry well? Thanks.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

The Platypus carries fine, is light and durable. My personal favorite.

alex hansen

@holden425

I love my osprey reservoir and kinda wish there was a lighter version that held its shape so you dont get bladder bulge in the backpanel. Anyone know a good way to reduce this in a frameless or nearly frameless pack. Or anyone modified a platybladder to give it some structure like the osprey ones?

Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

Alex, what Osprey reservoir do you have? The only frame in my pack is a thin piece of foam, and the Platypus seems that it would cause a bulge.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I save weight by ditching the hose. I use simple 2L Platypus bottles, one on each side of my pack for balance.

Logan Bowling
    Spectator

@bowlingl25

Locale: Almost Heaven

The platypus bottles and tube are light and hold up very well. Do you plan on carrying your water on the inside or outside of your pack?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Interesting idea (see http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/hydration_packs__osprey_hydraulics/hydraulics_2_liter_reservoir).

Gerber had a rigid reservoir that I thought would make a good frame for an UL pack, getting double use for the weight.

alex hansen

@holden425

I have one of the original 3L ones. The new version is lighter, although i dont know the weights of either. I use it in my frameless flash 18 day pack and it makes it very comfy.

I was thinking maybe a piece of milk carton glued onto the out side of the platy might give structure to the lighter reservoir

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I found some plastic cutting boards sold by Vitamix that are 0.05"/1.28mm thick. An 18"x12" sheet weighs 5 ounces. It is far stiffer than an milk carton side and I don't think it would do much to resist the bending forces from a full 2L or 3L bladder, let alone the milk carton. The other problem would be to get it bonded– these plastics peel off most adhesives. Some double-stick tape might work.

If the bump is a problem, it will settle down after the first half liter or so has been used anyway. I think adding adding a stiffener would just add weight to no avail.

I like bottles in side pockets better for several reasons.

Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

I used Smart Water bottles in my side pockets on my last trip, but with my particular pack it's difficult to get the bottles back in the side pockets after drinking and I'd always have to ask my hiking buddies. I'm interested in trying carrying bottles on my pack straps, but I'm not sure exactly how that mod works. Anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

As for the mod, you can get something like a Wet Rib.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/hunting-pack-accessories/wet-rib

There are lighter versions, but I don't know who's still making them. I can't take advantage of them because I've always got a DSLR strapped to my shoulder straps…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

You can use a gizmo called a Smartube, that allows you to attach a hose to a water bottler or Nalgene in your side pocket.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

1-liter Avian bottles. Free at the recycling center. I wish I stocked up back when they made wide-mouth bottles. Especially for caving. In which fluid hauling is bidirectional. Enough said. Or perhaps too much. So now, reluctantly, one Gatoraide bottle is in the mix.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

+1 on Smart Tube.
    I got one about 2 months back and love it. Use with any bottle that a Sawyer Squeeze attaches to.
    Right now I use it with a Fuji 1.5L bottle and it works nicely.
    Use it with 2L soda bottles, just pick up the size you need for the trip.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Look into the WLP water bladders at sourceoutdoor.com. The weight is 200 grams for the 2 liter but they are advertised to hold their flat shape when filled.
    Happy Gear-Hunting!

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

What I do is use a larger bladder and just partially fill it. That way it maintains a slimmer profile when its in its sleeve. It works ok. I really haven't found ballooning of the bladder to be much of an issue though. I use a 3L platy and usually fill it up to about 1-1.5L.

Another thought is to somehow heat seal a vertical seam down the middle of the bladder (not all the way to the top and bottom). This would prevent the ballooning effect. I've read that a food vacuum sealer will reseal soft bottles and bladders, but it would be difficult if not impossible to get one to seal the bladder in the proper place. Any thoughts on what else might work to do this?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

A couple of 1.25 L PET rocket-base bottles are usually lighter, and (being free) a lot cheaper.

If I really need to haul a lot of water, I use an empty 4 L wine cask bladder or an empty 4-6 L OJ cask bladder. Tough, light, good seal, and free too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools