Topic

M50 quilt…shiny side?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear M50 quilt…shiny side?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andy Roo

@a-mitchell

I am in the processes of making a summer quilt using M50 from thru-hiker. From what I have gathered so far, the "shiny" side of the material is to go on the inside of my quilt. I have the the black M50, and my problem is I cannot distinguish one side as the shiny side. I have however dropped water on both sides and have found one side to definitely be more water resistant in that the water beads up more. Is this the side with the DWR? If so, I would assume that the DWR side would go on the outside of my quilt. I have recently read that the shiny side is what is treated with the DWR. I have my panels cut out but wanted to make sure what side to face outward before I began sewing. Thanks.

-Andrew

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I had the same experience

One side seemed to be a little more water resistant, that is, the beads of water had a slightly steeper angle

I don't think it's that important

If you can determine that one side is more water resistant, have that outside?

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Be sure to mark each right side cut pieces with a piece of tape or something. Even though it's hard to tell before you cut I found that you do notice when you see a right and wrong together. Especially if the light his at the right angle. Also, the water test is a good way to tell. Works for supplex too which is even harder to tell.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I made a synthetic quilt with the wrong side out. It collects dust on it like crazy. So yes it is important to have the right side out.

Andy Roo

@a-mitchell

Thanks guys for all the responses. I am pretty sure I know which side has the DWR on it from doing the water test. There is a very noticeable difference in how the water reacts to the material on one side compared to the other. So is the DWR side the "shiny" side and therefore go inside my quilt, or is the DWR suppose to be the dull side and go on the outside. I assume that you would want the DWR on the outside of the quilt, or am I wrong.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Andrew

The shiny side is the side which has been slightly heat-treated to flatten the surface. That makes it the more down-proof side. The rest follows.

Cheers

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

As Roger said Shiny side in.

Andy Roo

@a-mitchell

Alright guys thanks for all the help. I'll take another look at the M50 when I'm back home and see if I can notice the difference.

Roger, is the DWR treatment applied to the same side the gets the down-proofing treatment? I guess my question boils down to does the shiny or dull side have the DWR on it?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

It's all but impossible to just be able to look at the black M50 and know which side is which.
    You have to do a water test or throw some dirt on it to tell.
    I even folded both sides which is usually an easy way to tell when looking at both up to light.

Ayce puts a piece of tape on it when he sends it saying which side is which.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Roger, is the DWR treatment applied to the same side the gets the down-proofing treatment?

The question does not apply. :-)
    As far as I know, the fabric as a whole is run through the factory DWR bath and then heat-set.

Any difference in beading should be minor.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"Any difference in beading should be minor."

That's what I observed

beads of water on both sides. Paper towel underneath to detect leakage. Left it all day. The beads just stayed there and the paper towel didn't get damp. There was a slight angle difference between the bead (water) and the fabric, but maybe I was imagining it.

I also tried Nobul. Beaded up for a while, then after about a minute, a tiny bit of water leaked through, then, all the water flowed through in one second. (But, the Nobul is probably more comfortable against skin.)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools