Topic

New Wood Burning Stove that is super light.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Wood Burning Stove that is super light.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Is this your project Scott?
    Looks like a nice stove. What do you know about it?

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

interesting little stove.
    i especially liked the way they found the most Absolutely Optimal wood to feed it.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Scott, if you are associated with this project it is appropriate to say so in your first post.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Light, but not ultralight.

Full disclosure and shameless self-promotion: my GOLD Gear wood stove weighs 1.5 oz for a conical titanium wood burning stove with an 84 cubic inch firebox. Sized to work with Foster's can pots or similar size pots or mugs. Rolls up and stores in the pot:

http://goldgear.co/stoves.html

But I like the Nano's versatility to use with different size pots.

I need to try KickStarter…stoveclose

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I just love the hinged variety of stoves that require no assembly :-)

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Obviously he's gone somewhere for the weekend…..it's a nice stove. What happens after kick start is successful? Is it up to the inventor to start selling or does kick start do more promotion? There is not a clue as to how the general public can purchase one…..like I need another stove…..
    Roger I don't envy you your position..

Lester Staib
    BPL Member

@hikerlester

Locale: Northeast

I just ordered one this morning on their website:

http://foldingfirebox.com/shop/

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

" I need to try KickStarter… "
    well .. uhh … ya … sure !

i can not help to notice that our David's built a very nice look'n rig, and sans kickstart too.
    why is the ks idea so profound ?
    can not one just figure out what they want ? possibly research the equipment necessary ? order it, receive, setup and commission it ? and kick arse ? is this not the way xhit happens ? after decades in the field of building tools and machines … what did i miss something along the lines of producing something ?
    does one need "help" ? .. and even that from people who lack the skills to do it themselves ???
    ohhhh.. it's about Money …
    like since we don't want to use a credit card (which those quite so annoyingly have to be paid back), then we'd all prefer the unsecured loan of the ks format ?

looking again at Davis's work… see that lower edge ? those don't spontaneously occur at random intervals in nature. if you want one, well then, you have to "do" that. which it's probably a novel concept in the servile ranks of pc society, but rest assured it involves thinking, failure, working, more failures, eventual partial success, and after some time, you get it figured out. then eventually … most of the time, your work won't be generating abnormal percentages of scrap.

"if one wants what the master has … one must do what the master does."

David G. … nice work.
    kickstart ?? … lick my shorts.

that's just my op.
    cheers,
    v.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Scott

> I have zero connections with this person or people who make these stoves.
    That's fine.
    As a thought – when posting about such matters a note to this effect could be a smart move. Saves any hassles. We have had 'problems' in the past you see.

> Thanks for the tip Bishop Caffin.
    Waves ankh vaguely…

Cheers

Lapsley Hope

@laps

I have the 5" Firebox which works very well, but I use it on motorcycle camping trips.
    Cooks well and also a source of a small fire/heat after dinner.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I find the antagonism towards Kick Starter rather peculiar given that is a crowd founded system.
    In other words people voting with their wallets.
    What is wrong with that ?
    Is it annoying that others like products that we personally don't ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

+1 for what Franco said.

There are people out there with good or even great ideas, who are not well off enough to just start implementing those ideas from their own finances and KS provides an opportunity. No one is forced to help someone out, if you really like the idea and think it's feasible, then you as Franco said, vote with your wallet. Bypassing credit card companies, banks, and the like can only be a good thing in my book–they don't really need our business. Individuals helping individuals–i like it.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Drinking vinegar has long been a health tip.

But honestly $16.99 for 12 oz is VERY exorbitant.

http://www.amazon.com/Genki-Su-Japanese-Drinking-Vinegar-Citron/dp/B00F1OXJDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379817059&sr=8-1&keywords=Genki-Su

If you are wanting to get into it just buy organic balsamic vinegars and add water and ice…..the berry favors are really good!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

… I'd be willing to bet that in a "boil-off" the Trail Designs ti Sidewinder with (or without) the Inferno insert will do the job faster and hotter. The CC design seems – so far – to be the most heat efficient.

Plus feeding the Sidewinder larger sticks of wood is likely easier as well.

Nice to see that there are folks out there willing to work with new designs in woodburning stoves. That's what keeps technology moving forward.

I'd just like to see a "Boil Off" between woodburning stoves. I've asked for this many times in the past ut nobody in BPL seems to be interested. Yeah, rounding up the necessary stoves would be a hassle. And trying to make conditions equal for fair comparisons would be tough but it CAN be done, given same size pot, same size, number and species of wood dowels, same same water temp and same ambient air temp. Not to mention tinder and "total pot-over-flame time".

Hey, start all with water pot on teh stove and a gas jet flame at the bottom of the wood pile using the same tinder and equal time of gas jet flame. After all, speed of getting to full combustion should factor in.

Roger: PLEASE try to do this test. Your methodology is trusted here.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Eric

> Roger: PLEASE try to do this test. Your methodology is trusted here.
    Well, thank you!

I have been asked several times to get involved in the wood-burning stove area. So far no-one has actually sent me any stoves for testing, and nothing has progressed any further.

Currently I am flat out with my remote winter canister stove project, so I can't actually do the testing right now. However, I will put it on my to-do list: making my stoves should not occupy me for ever! I just need the wood-burning stoves (plus any matching pots) …

Cheers

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

@ Roger – if and when you want to do some wood burner evaluations and comparisons, just let me know and I'll be happy to send you one of my FireFly stoves.

Firebox Nano – It's relatively light, but still more than twice the weight of a FireFly, which is BTW only about an ounce heavier than titanium foil cone or cylinder wood stove designs. It folds nicely. I like the Nano idea of crossing pieces of wood inside the stove using its two small ports. It is very easy to do this same type of crossed-wood burning using the much larger single FlexPort of a FireFly, which is much less finicky in the feeding (looks like the Nano works best with optimally straight pieces of just the right diameter).

Shawn Donnelly

@canonshooter

Locale: Western Washington

I purchased one of these stoves a few weeks ago. I thought it would work well for a wind screen for my alcohol stove and work as a wood stove. I have not used it camping yet but I did try it out in my yard. I used it with my Esbit alcohol stove and with twigs. I was able to boil water fine. The pot/stove support legs allow many different size pots also. The Nano seems to be well made and works well.

The Nano folds up and fits inside my Peak cook pot with room to spare for my alcohol stove and a pocket knife. I plan on using a lighter weight alcohol stove with it to cut a little more weight however.

I think Nano will be a good investment and reduce my bulk and over-all weight because even though it is a little heavier than a windscreen it has a double use as a wood stove which means I can cut weight by packing less alcohol and not needing to carry a separate windscreen and having the benefit of a wood stove.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools