Topic

Sierra Wandering ~ 08/24 – 08/30/2013

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Sierra Wandering ~ 08/24 – 08/30/2013

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Smoke on Soldier Lake

"Two guys said they could see the fire from New Army Pass today". . .

I had no idea that the Fish Fire had started the day before I left for this trip. I could smell smoke at the Cottonwood Pass trailhead the first night, but it didn't seem too bad. The next morning I woke to clear skies and what appeared to be another beautiful summer day in the Sierra. . . but the conditions took a turn for the worse in the afternoon.

By the time I reached Miter Basin the smoke and ash made it unbearable. I met a hiker who told me, "two guys said they could see the fire from New Army Pass today". New Army Pass was only a few miles away. The fire was in Kennedy Meadows, less than 30 miles south, and it was heading toward us.

For the whole story check out: Sierra Wandering ~ 08/24 – 08/30/2013

Kiel Senninger
    BPL Member

@kiel-s

Locale: San Diego

Great Pictures! I loved the one of the fish and the camp panorama.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Excellent TR and pictures!

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Wow! What a great trip. I really love that area and it is so accessible, however, where you were very few venture.

Thanks for the great report and especially photos.

Scott

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks for sharing Andy!

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Nice report, Andy. Not a bad plan C! I need to wander that area myself some time soon.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Great TR, really enjoyed it!

Beautiful pics as well. Major two thumbs up :)

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Fantastic! A group of us from BPL did an almost identical trip last year.

click here for link

I'm really impressed with anyone that goes into those off-trail areas (Davis Lakes, Ionian Basin, etc.) alone.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Thanks for your comments everyone! Plan D is this weekend.

Casey I appreciate your trip report from last year, I wish I had been able to make it. You guys covered a lot of ground, and a few peaks. Your other TRs in the Evolution area (including the 47 Hour North Lake/South Lake trip) got me interested in exploring more than just the JMT.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Nice trip report and pictures Andy. I'm not familiar with Picasa; did you stich two pictures together which is why we see your gear twice?

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Thanks Ian! Picasa is an online photo storage and sharing site similar to Flickr. After I downloaded all of the photos from the trip (1,000+) it automatically stitched some of them together. It also made some gif files. I've never noticed this before, must be a new feature. Here's another pano it made out of three overlapping pxts, this is Pavilion Dome at the west end of the Glacier Divide:

Glacier Divide

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

If it wasn't for the gear in the picture, I'd of thought you took that picture in one shot. Picassa does a great job of stitching those pictures together.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools