Topic

Finished my quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Finished my quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

I finished it last weekend, and tried it out last night, it actually worked very good.

Besides sewing a couple stuff sacks and a pack cover, this was the first big item I have ever sewn. It turned out better than I expected it would. I am very happy with it so far.

It is sort of a Arc AT copy, which is what I was going to buy, until I decided to try to make it myself.

It is about 43" wide and 60" long, with
    one layer of Climashield XP, and weighs in at 10.9 oz. I was warm at 50 degrees last night with just long underware, a light fleece hat, and a Montbell Thermawrap jacket.
    quilt
    quilt 2

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Looks great, Nathan!

I want to make one myself, but have only made alcohol stoves to date and am nervous about destroying good material & insulation!

I was wondering about the length of 60"? Is that a fit for your height, or is it designed so your jacket is the top?

Thanks, and great job.

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

Thanks, Todd.

You're correct about the size, I put on the jacket first, then put the quilt over that. It comes up to just under my armpits.

You should give it a shot, I just borrowed a sewing machine, read the MYOG articles on sewing on this site, started with a couple stuff sacks to get the hang of it, and then went for it.

I figured it wasn't a huge investment in materials if it didn't work, maybe $50 I think. But it turned out better than I hoped it would.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Todd,

Go for it! About a year ago I figured, "What the heck."
    I bought some momentum and 1.1 oz. teal nylon and Climashield from thru-hike.com and an $80 Brother sewing machine from WallyWorld and I can't stop looking for
    things to sew! (You can't imagine how many stuff sacks one can make from spare material)! This was without any prior experience.

I contemplating a down insulated project next. Since this will be my first foray into goose technology, I will be begging for much advice on these forums!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Michael,

Thanks to folks like you, I'm about to do it. I'll let you know how it goes….

Let me know if you get up to North FL for a hike!

Todd

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools