Topic

Help me choose: Tarptent Moment vs Notch (or arc pole vs trekking poles)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help me choose: Tarptent Moment vs Notch (or arc pole vs trekking poles)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mihai Preda

@mihaip

Hi all !

I am looking at these two tents and I would like to know what are pros/cons of each type of tent:
    arc pole vs 2 trekking poles, other than the obvious weight .

Which is more resistant to strong winds ?
    Which is easier to pitch on uneven ground ?

I would also like to know how the 30d silnylon copes with heavy rain considering it's just 1500mm HH .

Thank you in advance

David Ure

@familyguy

I have used a Tarptent Notch for the past two years and believe that it is the best solo tent in existence for 3 plus season treks. Having said that, the Moment DW is really just a poled version of the Notch so it comes down to whether you use trekking poles and / or prefer to base camp and leave for day treks with your trekking poles. I would argue that neither one is more stable than the other.

"I would also like to know how the 30d silnylon copes with heavy rain considering it's just 1500mm HH."

I am quite convinced that the 'actual' HH is about 2.5 times that number on the newer Tarptents.

Mihai Preda

@mihaip

I asked Tarptent what is their HH rating and they said is about 1500mm.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Ignoring for the moment whether or not you routinely carry trekking poles, the Notch has the advantage in that it can still be set up with sticks or limbs even if you loose or break a trekking (or one of the optional tent) pole. Arch tents like the Moment, Rainbow, and Double Rainbow can not be set up without that pole, and there's no room in the pole sleeve for a repair sleeve.

That said, I've had a Double Rainbow out in some pretty wild weather ever since it first came out in '96. I've never had a pole problem with it. I'd have to fall on the tent to break the arc pole; possible but not likely. Rain has never penetrated the canopy material. I use a Tyvek sheet under the tent to keep from forcing water through the floor when the ground is wet, but a few extra minutes of careful site selection makes that really unnecessary….but I do it anyway. It gives me a clean, dry place to fold the tent and repack my pack in the morning.

David Ure

@familyguy

Correct. However, based on how waterproof my Notch has been, I bet independent tests would show a higher number.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have their newest Double Rainbow and had it out under a thunderstorm at Granite Pass along the PCT up in northern Washington in early August (the one in the north Cascades near rainy pass that resulted in several rock/mudslides 25+ feet deep that closed the highway for awhile) and it was pouring down on us for a good few hours while the higher ground/ridges less than a mile away were being rocked by lightning (20+ strikes a minute by our count at times).

We didn't have the optional liner we brought with us at the time but still stayed dry. Did get a tiny bit of condensation misting due to the force of the raindrops, but that was only noticeable because I was sitting up with my face to the fabric checking for exactly that. Did end up putting it on though before falling asleep just in case but didn't need to.

So… Yeah, the fabric should be able to hold up during a deluge without leaking.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Arch tents like the Moment, Rainbow, and Double Rainbow can not be set up without that pole, and there's no room in the pole sleeve for a repair sleeve.

Thanks Bob, you gave me something to do…
    OK not ideal but something can be done.
    Worst case scenario, you forgot your pole.
    You can set it up like this* :
    Ugly Moment
    Another Moment

You have the pole , have broken a section or two and do not have any way of fixing it (why not ???) :

low Moment
    polish Moment
    The above shot is simulating two broken sections. Note that I have folded in the last two sections on one side inside that sleeve.
    This may answer the 'there is no room…" bit.
    So if you do have some tape and a larger pole section to insert over the broken one or just a couple of thin Ti pegs , you can repair that pole..

*This is much easier to do and would look a lot better on a Rainbow and in particular the DR because of the cross strut and grommets at the end of those

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Nice work Franco.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Ingenious, Franco! I stand corrected. The pole sleeve on the Moment must be of a larger diameter than the one on my 1996 Double Rainbow. I'll have to dig out my 2013 DR and check that out. Good to know. (Yes, I always carry a pole repair sleeve anyway – force of habit established over decades past.)

Very minor quibbles:

Your set-up would require at least 3 more stakes than the Moment ships with. Large rocks or convenient logs/bushes would probably be needed. (I also carry 2 spare tent stakes + 1 or 2 titanium nails; again force of habit from so many years).

The OP would pick the Moment primary because he doesn't carry trekking poles. Again, large natural objects would suffice.

The greatest challenge would be the extra cordage needed. I carry 50 feet of Trip Teaze in my repair kit at the cost of about 1 ounce added weight, but many hikers do not carry any.

Thanks, Cobber.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I have not used the Notch but did a couple of trips this summer in my Moment DW. On the one really windy night I was not that thrilled with how the tent withstood gusts. I basically got beaten about the face by the walls of the tent getting pushed in and didn't sleep much. This despite the stakes having good purchase, me guying the lateral lines out, AND using the crossing pole attachment point and a trekking pole to lift/support the windward end. Not sure any tent other than a mountaineering model would have done great in those conditions, but the Moment was not a cut above, anyway. I still like it a lot and will continue to use it, but it's probably not a shelter for coastal areas and stormy alpine conditions.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

As others have mentioned, I think it really comes down to whether or not you use trekking poles. With that being said, I really like my Moment DW.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Nice emergency rig Franco. And that it can be done with hiking poles and no trees required is all the better.

I’m considering ordering a heavier duty main pole for my Moment DW from Tentpole Technology as I did for my Scarp 2. They have to be slightly pre-bent by Tentpole Technology so they need some arch dimensions from you when ordering.

My Moment DW, with its X-ing pole run inside the fly (see Tarptent Thread) really helps with any snow load and somewhat with strong winds. But 4 guy lines are still needed for strong winds, especially the main pole guys, to keep the main pole from deforming under side winds.

Finally, current Moment DW tents have 4 fly hem stake loops as standard equipment and they MUST be staked down for high winds. If your tent is older, like mine you need to add these. Nylon grosgrain ribbon works fine. When staked down you will have virtually no fly flapping in heavy winds. Without them you may not sleep well without ear plugs.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Old thread so time to update the info.

The Moment is now the Moment DW , so not a tarp tent as it was (fly with floor and sides sawed in)  but a two wall tent .

The fabric we use now , still 30d silnylon, is rated at 3000mm HH.

BTW, a reminder that both trekking poles and tent poles can brake. So maybe a good time to think : what would I do if ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools